Author Topic: Venue Cymru Arena  (Read 216489 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Venue Cymru Arena
« Reply #300 on: January 25, 2013, 09:43:12 am »
Tonight I was at the Gym, adjacent to the Venue Cymru.

From the window, at 8pm, I saw the Parking Dept van from CCBC.  The Officer was gleefully wandering around slapping tickets on several vehicles in a car park that was 70% empty.

The decision to charge for evening and overnight parking in the County's Pay and Display car parks was made about 20 years ago so it is not anything new.  Whether the Council should pursue the motorist during these hours is another matter.  Policing was normally only carried out up to 8.00 in the evening, or at some other times in special circumstances.

Charging in Theatre Car Parks is quite common throughout the UK and prevents parking spaces being taken up by people not attending the performance.   There are notices to this effect at Venue Cymru and those hiring the facility are advised that the available parking on site is subject to payment so delegates can be advised beforehand.

The decision and running of the Parking Services is that of the Parking Manager (a lady) at the County Offices.

Remember the Warden or Attendant is only doing his (her) job as he (she) has been instructed.

ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #301 on: January 25, 2013, 09:57:27 am »
if when buying your ticket for the venue, they had a piece on that you put on your screen that should allow you to park , i can understand if a car park is nearly full ok book a car but not when the town is struggling, common sense come to mind  :rage:

Offline dwsi

« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2013, 11:53:54 am »
For those who saw 'One man, two guvnors'" in Venue Cymru at the beginning of the year there's a programme about the actor Owain Arthur on Thursday Night at 8:25pm on S4C and subtitles are available, details http://s4c.co.uk/e_subtitles_english.shtml

Owain Arthur, Un dyn, Un sioe - Thursday 21 March 8.25 on S4C (subtitles available)

One man with the world at his feet
It's been a year to remember for actor Owain Arthur. He has been thrown into the public eye since taking the lead role in the successful theatre show 'One Man. Two Guvnors' with reviewers praising his performance.

The energetic 28 year old actor from Rhiwlas near Bangor, tells his story in the S4C programme Owain Arthur, Un dyn, Un sioe on Thursday, 21 March. He'll take us backstage at one of London's most famous theatres, Theatre Royal Haymarket, and we follow him to Cardiff and Llandudno as the show goes on a nationwide tour.

S4C can be viewed outside Wales on:

Freeview -- not available
Virgin TV -- 167
Freesat - 120
Sky -- 134

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #303 on: March 30, 2013, 11:24:02 pm »
Tonight, Mrs Fester and I decided to attend Agatha Christie's 'The Mousetrap' at the Venue Cymru.

I booked the tickets because we both quite like the theatre, The Mousetrap is an iconic production, and after 60 years I am ashamed to say that I knew nothing about the play.  I was looking forward to it immensely.

Sadly, it was one of the worst decisions I have ever made.
It was an evening of pretentious nonsense, inaudible actors, and uncomfortable silences.
We actually moved on two occasions to see if we could physically hear the dialogue above the coughing, spluttering and sweetie-unwrapping of the audience.  But no.
The 2nd Act is sightly more bearable than the first, if only because something actually happens, and also because one becomes excited by the fact that the ordeal is nearly over.
The backdrop scenery is beautifully done, but the positives end there.  The play itself is replete with unconvincing characters, with unclear motives and weak performances by a troupe of actors/actresses who are vaguely recognisable from bit parts in TV soaps.
I won't tell you 'whodunnit', but I would be doing you a great favour if I did.

At the beginning of the 2nd Act, we moved to a superb seat at the very centre-front of the Circle balcony. But even there we both failed to hear at least 25% of the actor's dialogue.  It was simply not enjoyable.
Finally, the most damning condemnation of all, the lady sat next to my wife was ASLEEP throughout the entire 2nd half, and then she had the audacity to applaud at the very end!  The Emperor's New Clothes springs to mind.
If people were honest in their 'heart of hearts' they would admit that this is just not an acceptable standard of entertainment, and everyone present must have seen better productions in their local church halls by amateurs.
Despite paying £60 for our tickets, my wife URGED me to join her and leave the theatre at the interval.  I'm glad I didn't because I couldn't have passed a genuine opinion on the entire charade, but I must listen to her in future.

Finally, I do understand that this play has been performed for 60 years now, but in my opinion that is 59 and a half years too long and it is high time it was consigned to the dustbin of literary history.
A waste of time and money. 

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #304 on: March 31, 2013, 07:12:52 am »
You should have gone to see Al Murray, we had a fantastic time, very funny, he had us both in stitches?  _))*
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #305 on: March 31, 2013, 11:44:05 am »
Im off to the very underusedf Arena on Thursday,Sinple Minds gig,i think they have one more gig booked for may,then that is it,nothing that i know of booked,yes i know it is used for other things but i bet it is used once a month if that,either fill it or close it and take it all to Colwyn Bay along with Eirias and THE SKI JUMP ON THE PROM(or whatever it is).

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #306 on: March 31, 2013, 12:41:16 pm »
I had a very successful day yesterday at Venue Cymru.   Ray was holding one of his usual table top sales and I managed to get rid of loads of old tat that has been clogging up our drawers and cupboards for ages.   I found it rather surprising to find what folk actually bought!   It was a useful marketing exercise that will assist with the next time. :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2013, 07:52:33 am »
Great night had last thursday night,Simple Minds concert in the Arena,close on 2,500 people many locals but as far as the local economy goes a couple of thousand from outside town(tourists) with a few hundred staying overnight.We went to the Kings Arms befor the gig and it was packed,the landlord had a dj on specially for the night.Now for the usual Wrex but there is only one more gig booked for the Arena this year,workout for yourself was spent in Llandudno over the two days,thousands,if these gigs happened a little more often then that would be thousands more into pubs,hotels,B&B;s,cafes,restaurants and in the shops,just one councillor it will take to answer why are these gigs so few and far apart,answers please,if not for me do it for LLANDUDNO TRADE.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2013, 07:56:26 am »
I wonder if one major issue with VC is its size? Touring bands and groups these days prefer 5000+ seater stadia.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2013, 08:44:02 am »
The VC arena, at 2500 capacity, is certainly large enough for many major bands, or indeed festivals.

Simple Minds are still a massive band, and as Wrex says it was a very busy night for the town.

From discussions with VC management, and feedback from the acts themselves, I believe the real reasons are as follows.

1, Promotors are closely tied to regular venues, and tend to stick to that existing tour circuit.  Maybe a few brown envelopes need to be stuffed with cash?

2, Bands themselves are less than impressed with the acoustics Venue Cymru.

3, VC management seem unable to persuade major acts to veer away from Cardiff if they are doing a UK tour and are fitting in a gig in Wales.

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: April 11, 2013, 09:38:26 am »
No. 2 is a killer, if true.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: April 11, 2013, 09:39:34 am »
The Arena was decided with conferences in mind, so acoustics and the ability to have large lighting rigs were not really taken into consideration.  &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2013, 09:44:40 am »
No. 2 is a killer, if true.

It is true Sir!   (In fact, everything I say is true)
It was admitted to Dave and I, by VC management, when we had a meeting with them.

Also, I asked Status Quo and Motorhead, who both said the acoustics were far from ideal, and would rather perform elsewhere.  Quo do return, but only to the smaller theatre.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2013, 09:53:25 am »
Acoustics are the major problem, of course.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2013, 10:19:59 am »
The Lighting Rigs issue is also a large one. Most touring bands have their own rigs/setups for lighting and they can't be thrilled at having to modify them just for Llandudno because of the low ceilings etc.