Author Topic: Recommend A Local Business  (Read 136424 times)

Yorkie

Re: Recommend A Local Business
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2011, 05:14:26 pm »
Had  leaflet through the door today advertising a new Taxi service by J & F Cars which I found rather interesting, especially regarding their payment terms.

One can pay by (all) credit and debit cards but there is a 10% surcharge!  WOW!!    ZXZ

Seems that they also accepy PayPal , "the safe payment option..."    ££$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2011, 06:06:53 pm »
well they can stick that then, sounds like a branch of Ryan Air (Ryan Road?)
I never use taxis, too expensive compared to driving myself!  ^*^0
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Yorkie

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2011, 06:30:35 pm »
Actually the amount they wish to add on as a "convenience" fee is in direct contravention of all the Credit Card companies terms and conditions.  The extra charge can only be made if a discount is also offered for other methods of payment, and it truly reflects the retailer's cost of administering the card payment.

It would appear that most Card "convenience" charges are in fact illegal and can be reclaimed.   $thanx$

Offline Paddy

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2011, 06:48:28 pm »
One can pay by (all) credit and debit cards but there is a 10% surcharge!  WOW!!    ZXZ

I used to have one of these terminals in my cab. The 10% fee is charged by the company that owns the terminal, not the driver.

Yorkie

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2011, 06:51:20 pm »
I would look into the legalities of it.    )*)&

Just found this:

Which? launches super complaint about credit card feesMarch 31, 2011
By Rachel Constantine

Consumer charity Which? has this week submitted a super complaint to the Office of Fair Trading, calling for an investigation into “excessive” charges levied on credit card and debit card payments.

Which? has argued that the charges are unjustified and warned that more and more organisations are using them. It says that while each debit card transaction costs organisations no more than 20p and credit card transactions cost them less than two per cent of the full purchase amount, many are levying much higher fees.

It cites examples such as some companies charging flat rates of £5.95 and more to customers using a credit card, whilst one letting firm is accused of levying a £25 charge on a £5,000 flat deposit. Some London taxi companies are said to be adding a 12.5 per cent fee on top of the taxi fare for those paying by card.

Which? chief executive Peter Vicary-Smith said, “Consumers are really fed up with paying excessive card charges. So far, over 40,000 people have pledged their support for our campaign to bring these to an end. Low-cost airlines are some of the worst offenders, but excessive card surcharges are becoming ever more widespread, with everyone from cinemas and cabs to hotels and even some local authorities getting in on the act.”
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:23:49 pm by Yorkie »

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2011, 03:02:17 pm »
I was able to find a firm who could remove the moss from my roof.   They first scraped the moss off and then pressure washed it before finally applying a solution to prevent the moss coming back.
There were three men engaged on it and worked very hard for about 7 hours.  The result was very impressive and the cost for all that was very reasonable.
Care & Repair from Anglesey was the firm (Prop Anthony Evans) Tel 01248 489108

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2011, 11:22:30 am »
Domestic appliances and electrical work - A55 Appliance Rescue (Martin Davidson t/a) - tel 530824

Our electric oven would not heat up earlier this week. Rang Martin yesterday, he arrived within the hour, and diagnosed that the element had gone. New one ordered and fitted this morning, so everything back in order. Many thanks Martin.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2011, 07:29:05 pm »
Energy Performance Certificate needed, can anyone recommend someone local to inspect property and supply certificate at reasonable cost?   $good$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2011, 07:35:56 pm »
Energy Performance Certificate needed, can anyone recommend someone local to inspect property and supply certificate at reasonable cost?   $good$
I've not used them, so cant personally recommend, but these guys may be worth a look:
http://www.epc4us.co.uk/

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2011, 07:50:40 pm »

Does that mean you are thinking of moving then?  (based on your other post and putting 2 & 2 together )

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2011, 08:45:40 pm »
I was a Boy Scout and you know what their motto is!   ;D    Just being prepared, and as the EPC lasts for 10 years I may as well get one now and save time later if necessary.

I've wanted to move for sometime as all my Family and the Kids are dahn sahf and there is really nothing to keep us here.  Her indoors is the stumbling block so I'll have to win her round with a few well chosen words and some very expensive presents.   ;D

Thanks for your input Dave but was wanting a local recommendation if possible.  If nothing comes up I'll ask one of the local Estate Agents.   $thanx$
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2011, 08:52:19 pm »
January 2009 we had to get the home information pack at around £400 before we could sell the house, a total waste of money  :rage: and not long afterwards it was scrapped after the general election  +}}{-- we sold the house ok though!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2011, 09:03:24 pm »
Yorkie?  How can you say there is nothing to keep you here?

The beauty of this area, (ignoring the well documented eyesores) .. The Gt Orme, Conwy Castle, The Pier... OK,maybe not the pier.

Anyhow, we too paid best part of £500 for the HIP pack, what a rip off that was.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2011, 09:17:06 pm »

Try the office in Queens Road in C-y-D opposite the County Hotel.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2011, 07:40:43 am »
Yorkie?  How can you say there is nothing to keep you here?

The beauty of this area, (ignoring the well documented eyesores) .. The Gt Orme, Conwy Castle, The Pier... OK,maybe not the pier.

Ah yes!  You are so right!   However, there is beauty in many other parts of the UK and having lived in the counties round London, the Midlands, West Country, Scotland, and Wales it could be times for pastures new and Lambourn seems like a good choice.  Very handy for the Heart of England and close enough to the relatives.   Might even manage to get a few good racing tips from the stables!   ;D
Cicero