Author Topic: Recommend A Local Business  (Read 136407 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Recommend A Local Business
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2010, 05:12:50 pm »
I found him  through the 'Which Local' service by 'Which' magazine wherehe has 4 excellent references
Any other local tradesmen from that service that come highly recommended?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2010, 05:18:22 pm »
if you need any specific service let me know and I'll put them on here (although it may not be one that I have used personally)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2010, 06:38:40 pm »
Any other local tradesmen from that service that come highly recommended?

Nine.

Aled Jones, the Llanrwst builder, is first class.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2010, 06:50:46 pm »
I can recommend

Fred Eastwood Motor Repairs
Wolf House, Belgrave Road, Colwyn Bay, Conwy, LL29 8EY

Tel: 01492 535 565

I found him through which Local,and he was very good sorting out some jobs on my Focus

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2010, 12:03:00 am »
I noticed that the services of a plumber are required. I can recommend  Vaughan Williams, 4 Trinity Crescent, Llandudno. 07734 276678.
 angewilliams@supanet.com
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2011, 05:07:59 pm »
Throughout the cold spell our boiler was on the blink, on Christmas Eve I phoned Charlie a plumber who had been recommended to us.    I apologised for having to phone him on Xmas Eve and minded that builders normally have a long break at Christmas I asked if he could fit us in after he returned to work in the New Year.
Charlie said that he would call as soon as he finished his present job and sure enough in less than one hour he was at our house.
The boiler had fired up by the time he arrived but he stripped the casing down to look inside and tested the hot water flow in the house and identified the problem as the Heat Exchanger but said that it wasn't worth repairing and that we should invest in a new boiler.  ( he was the 3rd plumber to confirm this to us)
When I asked him for the bill he said that I didn't owe him anything as he hadn't done anything. He again refused when I asked him a second time but I insisted and he accepted then.
What a great guy and a refreshing change from my last plumber who I thought ripped me off.
The new boiler I ordered is coming tomorrow and I'll be in touch with him again to install it. I'll update again

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:47 pm »
Thats a great recommendation Hugo.

There must be more than one great plumber... because you can't go wrong with Brian Thomas.
Brian is well known to most in Llandudno, but if you don't know him personally, he's listed everywhere.  (phonebook,  yell.com etc)

I came back from 3 days visiting family in Yorkshire over Xmas, to find a burst pipe had been spewing water outside and INSIDE the house all that time.
Brian was round in no time,  (OK he is a neighbour on the Gt Orme) ... but he sorted the job in minutes.
This is not the first time he has done great work for us.  (and saved the day in an emergency)

If you have plumbing jobs, bathroom installations...or anything where pipes need joining to other pipes!... Brian Thomas is THE MAN !

Oh yes, he installed me a very beautiful bathroom too ...and recently HIS OWN solar heating system!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »
I Remember Brian well from my teenage years, he's a nice guy.   There are a number of good plumbers about, but I'm going to stick with Charlie for now.
Sorry to hear about your burst pipe Fester, hope that everything is sorted out now.
I don't mind paying a fair price for a fair days work but I don't like being ripped off and I feel that I was last time and will tell you about it some time.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2011, 06:32:36 pm »
There you are...EVERYONE...knows him! 
Fester...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2011, 07:44:17 pm »
When my friends arrived back from the USA recently they had a number of burst pipes in the house but they had turned the water off at the mains so the damage was limited thank goodness.  I don't think anyone anticipated it to be as cold as it was but if any one is going away in the future perhaps it's not a bad idea to turn the water off,

Yorkie

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2011, 08:58:55 pm »
Modern Central heating systems generally have a frost setting.  With a sealed system, I understand that it is safe to leave the CH on even if the water is turned off using the frost setting on the thermostats.  The house will then be kept above freezing and there should not be any bursts to worry about.     ££$

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2011, 12:58:58 am »
Think ' frost stats'  just turn pump on.
Moving water won't freeze, but won't warm the rest of the house.
Best bet if your way, turn water off and drain system.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2011, 01:45:09 pm »
I remember Aber Falls freezing Mike, so if a large waterfall can freeze up then I'm taking no chances with water in  narrow pipes.   I'll turn the water off though if I am away for some time this Winter.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2011, 03:54:43 pm »
Modern Central heating systems generally have a frost setting.  With a sealed system, I understand that it is safe to leave the CH on even if the water is turned off using the frost setting on the thermostats.  The house will then be kept above freezing and there should not be any bursts to worry about.     ££$

Yorkie, I was told that my boiler automatically kicks in as the temperature goes below zero degrees... and there is some evidence that it has been doing that. On other days I'm not so sure...
But my burst pipe (and I suspect many other peoples) came about due to the pipe being on an outside wall, or actually outside.
These pipes are seperate from the central system, and are plumbed in for washing machines or garden taps. 
At my last house, I had them covered in cold weather, I never had a problem.

Fester...

Offline Jack

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2011, 07:55:34 pm »
Modern Central heating systems generally have a frost setting.  With a sealed system, I understand that it is safe to leave the CH on even if the water is turned off using the frost setting on the thermostats.  The house will then be kept above freezing and there should not be any bursts to worry about.     ££$

Yorkie, I was told that my boiler automatically kicks in as the temperature goes below zero degrees... and there is some evidence that it has been doing that. On other days I'm not so sure...
But my burst pipe (and I suspect many other peoples) came about due to the pipe being on an outside wall, or actually outside.
These pipes are seperate from the central system, and are plumbed in for washing machines or garden taps.  
At my last house, I had them covered in cold weather, I never had a problem.

It depends on age and models of boilers, some might automatically kick in if temperatures fall, others won't do anything leading to freezing pipes and some (like mine) have a frost setting (denoted by a snowflake on the control panel) which the system can be left on.  In addition sealed systems should regularly be flushed through with a cleanser and then an inhibitor (which includes anti-freeze) needs to be added along with water when getting the system back up to the correct pressure.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:28:47 pm by DaveR »