Author Topic: Walking  (Read 842503 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1620 on: December 11, 2015, 12:02:53 pm »
Machno Falls walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #1621 on: December 11, 2015, 12:26:47 pm »
Love the one of the moss covered branches.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1622 on: December 11, 2015, 01:29:49 pm »
         Great photos Hugo, I looked back to the photos I posted on Oct 25th this year on the "out of area Quiz" after we  did the walk over the tops from Machno Falls over to the confluence of the Afon Conwy and the Afon Lledr and there was nowhere near as much water in the rivers on that day. Coincidentally I was passing the Conwy Falls Cafe on Monday last and I took a little detour to look amount of water at the falls at the salmon ladder and there was a little more there than usual but nothing like the amount in your pics. The old drover's road looked like a swamp as well in your pics, but that was quite boggy in parts when we went along it in October. We carried on along the A5 to Ogwen last Monday and took a couple of photos of the falls and Tryfan at the top of the Nant Francon and they were very full. The last one shows the view from above Blaen-y-Nant Farm where we used to sleep in the barn for 5 shillings a night back in the 60's after a night in the Douglas Arms in Bethesda before walking it off on the Glyders the next day!

Offline squiggle

« Reply #1623 on: December 11, 2015, 02:04:34 pm »
When we lived in Kent, we had a couple of holidays camping somewhere near Tryfan. I call it William's Farm and my mother says it was on of two Gwern Gof farms (she can't remember Isaf or Uchaf).  I was never one of the walkers  in the family but I used to get dragged along...

My mother, now in her 80s and living in East Anglia  really misses seeing the mountains of North Wales - I'll have to get her to look at this thread.  A different spot but does anyone here know Cedryn in Cwn Egiau? In her dreams, she would have done it up and made it her home.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #1624 on: December 11, 2015, 02:22:20 pm »
Not the best of pics but this is the one my mother uses for the desktop on her computer.  It's her looking out to Llyn Dulyn.  I used to find Dulyn felt a bit sort of eerie but it's one of her favourite places.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1625 on: December 11, 2015, 02:33:55 pm »
                       Google Street Maps have just announced a new feature where you can click on the Summit of Snowdon and then use your controls to get 360 degree views in all directions. It was a lovely day when the cameraman filmed it and it's well worth a look. Squiggle, it might give your mother a few memories!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1626 on: December 11, 2015, 02:38:03 pm »
My mother, now in her 80s and living in East Anglia  really misses seeing the mountains of North Wales - I'll have to get her to look at this thread.  A different spot but does anyone here know Cedryn in Cwn Egiau? In her dreams, she would have done it up and made it her home.

I don't know Cedryn but here are some photos I took in Cwm Eigiau  some time ago

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1627 on: December 11, 2015, 02:45:41 pm »
There was a fair amount of water flowing when you took those photos Gwynant, they look quite impressive.    I've only walked on that packhorse bridge once and it was just a good feeling doing it.
Thankfully Telford built the A5 over it and it remains there now for everyone to see and appreciate.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1628 on: December 11, 2015, 02:53:31 pm »

I don't know Cedryn but here are some photos I took in Cwm Eigiau  some time ago

Actually I've just checked with Google and Cedryn is the cottage pictured in my fourth photo
Cedryn Cottage
This old abandoned shepherd's cottage lies high in the remote valley of Cwm Eigiau in Snowdonia

Offline squiggle

« Reply #1629 on: December 11, 2015, 03:02:52 pm »
                       Google Street Maps have just announced a new feature where you can click on the Summit of Snowdon and then use your controls to get 360 degree views in all directions. It was a lovely day when the cameraman filmed it and it's well worth a look. Squiggle, it might give your mother a few memories!

Thanks, looks good. I'll pass it on.

Thanks for these and the follow up.  I'll ensure my mother has a read through this thread!

Offline Jack

« Reply #1630 on: December 11, 2015, 03:16:30 pm »
When I was up at Dulyn in September the water level was really low - bet it isn't now!

Offline Jack

« Reply #1631 on: December 11, 2015, 03:20:12 pm »
I've always loved the area around Eigiau and Dulyn  $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1632 on: December 11, 2015, 03:21:53 pm »
Great photo Jack, we were looking for wreckage like that but didn't see anything when we were there. 

Offline hollins

« Reply #1633 on: December 11, 2015, 03:28:52 pm »
Would have made a good quiz question Jack!

Offline Jack

« Reply #1634 on: December 11, 2015, 04:10:05 pm »
Would have made a good quiz question Jack!

Think Gwynant or Hugo would have got it quite quickly!!