Author Topic: Walking  (Read 843912 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1605 on: November 07, 2015, 05:41:23 pm »
Yesterday, Tellytubby and I drove to Corwen to have a look at Caer Drewyn an Iron Age hill fort.  This massive Iron Age hillfort is set on the slope of a hill overlooking the attractive town of Corwen and the meandering River Dee. Unlike most hillforts, Caer Drewyn has walls of stone, rather than the more typical earthen banks and ditches. The fort is composed of a huge rampart with entrances on the north-east and south.
We parked at the Leisure Centre and went down the lane until we came to a stile and a signpost indicating the route, but its fairly obvious without the signpost anyway!  We took the steepest route and that met a proper track with only a gradual ascent up the hill.  It wasn't long before we came to the hillfort .  The weather was overcast and windy at the top so we took shelter in a stone wind brake and had our refreshments while watching Kestrels and Buzzards over head probably looking for their dinner too.
Suitably refreshed we had a good look around the fort before heading downhill.  This circular walk of less than 2 miles didn't last long so we decided to visit the site of Owain Glyndwr's  Palace at Glyndyfrdwy and then travel on to see the Horseshoe Falls at Llangollen.
Glyndyfrdwy is a motte and moated site near the town of Corwen Community in Denbighshire and Owain's Palace was said to be just below it.  The site has impressive views looking down onto the River Dee.
That didn't take long so we carried on and parked the car in the car park near the Horseshoe falls and took the path to Llantysilio Church where we had a look inside this lovely old building. We continued then past the falls and followed the Llangollen canal until we came to the Chain Bridge Hotel and crossed the suspension bridge and made our way to the A5 via the Berwyn Railway Station and then across the narrow road bridge back to the car park.
We finished the day with a pot of tea and slice of carrot cake in Ruthin and then it was the end of another good and interesting walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1606 on: November 07, 2015, 05:44:21 pm »
Caer Drewyn and Llangollen walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1607 on: November 22, 2015, 07:06:29 pm »
Yesterday four of us met in Llanfair PG to do a couple of short walks on Anglesey.  The first was a visit to Bryn Celli Ddu an impressive Neolithic chambered tomb, with partially restored entrance passage and mound, on the site of a former henge monument.   What sets Bryn Celli Ddu apart from the other tombs on Anglesey, is that it is the only one to be accurately aligned to coincide with the rising sun on the longest day of the year. At dawn on midsummer solstice, shafts of light from the rising sun penetrate down the passageway to light the inner burial chamber.
The last time I visited this tomb,  I was with Hugo's Mate and when he walked past the gap at the back of the tomb he saw a "tramp"  in a red coat and refused point blank to go inside it. He bottled it completely.
Undeterred, I went in through the narrow corridor and ahead and facing me was a long haired and white bearded man dressed in a flowing red cape.  He slowly gestured with his hands to come into the chamber and said "come, come" so as I entered the wider chamber I was then greeted by five women who also also did the same gesture and spoke the same words.  I immediately realised that I had interrupted something and  had a quick look around and then left.  I later saw their vehicle and a sign on the window said Druids on board.
This time we had the tomb to ourselves and had a good look around before driving to St Mary's Church on the banks of the Menai Straits. We walked through the Church yard to get to the beach and the tide was low so we were able to view the statue of Nelson from the Straits side.   Then we followed the shoreline until we came to Pwll Fanogl and the delightful old building on the pier and then past the fabulous looking former water mill. We then returned to the car by way of the main road and headed off to the Bull in Pentraeth to enjoy a pint of beer and one of their excellent carveries.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1608 on: November 22, 2015, 07:08:18 pm »
Menai Straits walk

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1609 on: November 23, 2015, 09:05:55 am »
Did you take the slight detour and visit the massive stone lions Hugo? You weren't very far when you were in St Mary's churchyard. Incidentally there are many graves there of people who have died building and re-building the Britannia Bridge. A few years back we had a very interesting wander in that area.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1610 on: November 23, 2015, 09:28:33 am »
No we didn't Nemesis, but we did think of that as Geraint hadn't been under the Britania Bridge before but hunger got the better of us and we headed to the Bull in Pentraeth as quick as we could.
Last time we did have a look at the graves of the workmen who died building the bridge and if my memory serves me correct then there were quite a few of them.
We went on to a high bit of ground in the graveyard and I'm not sure if that is where they are buried.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1611 on: November 23, 2015, 06:45:52 pm »
There is an actual memorial to that effect somewhere in the churchyard and the path which leads to the river and Nelson is lined with graves of seafaring people.
I read somewhere that the man who sculpted the lions was responsible for parts of various famous buildings including the Houses of Parliament and Halifax Town Hall.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1612 on: November 23, 2015, 08:17:28 pm »
I'll have a closer look at the graves when we go there next time, this was copied from the internet about those stone Lions:-

Four large stone lions were sculpted by John Thomas of Gloucestershire in 1848, and placed two at each entrance to the tubular bridge, making four in total. John Thomas was also the architect who designed the north and south fronts of the House of Commons. The lions are 25 foot long and weigh 80 tons each.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1613 on: November 24, 2015, 08:46:50 am »
That's exactly what I did Hugo................ did have slight problems with the name John Thomas though ! :o I'll leave that to your imagination !

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1614 on: November 24, 2015, 12:04:50 pm »
There are periodic campaigns to persuade the Welsh Government to have the stone lions lifted up to road level on each side of the A55 but they never seem to have any success. Shame really, they would look great.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1615 on: November 24, 2015, 02:22:46 pm »
It seems like a good idea as more people would be able to see the statues.   Last time I saw them on the Gwynedd side of the Straits they were partially hidden and even some rail passengers would have been unaware of their existence.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1616 on: December 04, 2015, 04:45:03 pm »
There had been a good weather forecast for today so we planned to go to the Spinnies at Aberogwen and see the bird life there and then go for a short walk along the beach towards Penmaenmawr.    That was the idea but things didn't go to plan in a big way.   As we headed down the narrow lane to the car park at the beach we were stopped when a Police car blocked the lane.  Apparently an unexploded WW II bomb had been found on the beach and the Bomb  Disposable Unit were on the scene and were going to have a controlled explosion nearby.
Anyway at least we could go to the Spinnies and look at the Kingfishers and the other birds there.
So we settled in the hide and had our cameras at the ready waiting for the birds to arrive, the Sun was shining, the weather was calm and just about perfect but then the volunteers came with their chain saws and petrol strimmers and any hope of seeing the Kingfishers vanished.
What few birds we saw were safely on the other side of the lake.    Two Grebes did come a bit nearer and kept us amused with their constant diving under water and catching fish but we realised with all the maintenance work going on it would be better to go to the Kingfisher hide on the other side of the lake so we packed up our things and moved along the path to the other hide.
We had fleeting glimpses of the elusive Kingfisher and some other birds and as we were settling in there there was an almighty explosion that rocked the hide and sent the remaining birds packing!
On top of that the weather was closing in so we called it a day  and walked along the beach to the car park where we  saw the bomb disposable van and the men informed us that they had carried out the controlled explosion in a field and unknowingly very near to the hide.
We then headed off to the cafe in Aber where we enjoyed a nice coffee and chocolate Brownie.   We'll be back there again soon but hopefully things will be different next time.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1617 on: December 04, 2015, 05:08:24 pm »
Here are a couple of photos of the birds we did see today and were taken on Tellytubby's super zoom camera

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1618 on: December 05, 2015, 09:57:49 am »
Small shell bomb detonated at the Spinnies Nature Reserve near Talybont .

The Army guys described it to us as a shell between 1 & 2 foot long so if that was a small explosion I wouldn't like to be in that hide when there was a big shell bomb detonated.      :o

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/bomb-disposal-squad-blows-up-10550295

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1619 on: December 11, 2015, 11:59:51 am »
Yesterday as we drove up the A470 to Betws Y Coed we witnessed the floods in Llanrwst and saw a very impressive waterfall across the valley in Dolgarrog so we knew that our intended walk would different to how it was when we last did it.
The walk was the Machno Falls walk and it's a circular walk that we started from the Conwy Falls Cafe.   Gwynant had done this walk earlier in the year and posted some great photos showing the beautiful Autumn colours and the tranquil waters of the Afon Lledr.   Yesterday though was so different, the leaves had all gone and following the recent heavy rain the torrent of water flowing through the gorges was deafening. The force and power of nature was just unbelievable.
From the Cafe we headed towards Penmachno and turned right to cross the bridge by the disused Mill. We walked across the medieval packhorse bridge very carefully as one slip into the raging torrent of water would be unthinkable and took a few photos from the other bank.
Back on the lane we followed the lane until we came to the large house in the photo and then took a path downhill to see the Machno Falls at its best.
We then continued downhill to the A470 and turned right and stopped by the old toll house to have our refreshments. Suitably refreshed we continued along the A470 until we came to Fairy Glen and the original toll road between Betws Y Coed and Pentrefoelas.  This road became redundant in 1815 when Thomas Telford built the A5,  Stone embankments and buttresses can still be seen higher up the track but yesterday the track was very boggy and like a river in places so we  were glad when we got back to our cars.
Conwy Falls Cafe was closed so we ended the day going to a nice little cafe by Pont Y Pair bridge in Betws Y Coed and having a nice coffee latte and a delicious mince pie.