Author Topic: Niggles  (Read 163732 times)

Yorkie

Re: Niggles
« Reply #405 on: April 02, 2011, 02:04:11 pm »
And this reply is on the next page so if someone wants to know what it is all about they have to flip back and forth!    ££$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #406 on: April 02, 2011, 02:07:40 pm »
True.  But then folk who are anxious their replies can be seen in context can always quote the relevant part of any other post when composing their response.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #407 on: April 02, 2011, 03:58:30 pm »
But that takes up more bandwidth which is what you are trying to save.  I reckon that you could move to 25 per page instead of the 15 (?) at present.

Alternatively is their a self select defaut as on some forums where the Member can choose his own criteria and thereby suffers any speed problems due to his own making?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: April 02, 2011, 05:06:54 pm »
I use the same format on other forums, and this is the first time anyone has ever mentioned the number of posts per page, actually. It's possible to increase the number backstage but frankly I think that simply shifts the problem, as you're always going to have postings bridging two or more pages, unless you make the pages 1000 or so postings long.

And it doesn't address your initial point which was

The small number of posts on each page making it neccessary to go to previous pages to get the context. 

which can be accomplished through people quoting the relevant part of other posts in their message.  But it will increase the overall time for the pages to be downloaded especially if they're image-intensive.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Yorkie

« Reply #409 on: April 02, 2011, 05:19:56 pm »
Yes Ian, your pursuasive tongue has made me change my opinion and I am pleased to say that I capitulate completely and I now agree with you.  I have been totally selfish in the whole matter and too damn lazy to revert to the previous page to see what I am writing about.  This is especially true when I have not been involved on the preceeding page and can only get the subject of the thread by making such reference.
 ))*
My most profound apologies. 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #410 on: April 02, 2011, 07:05:46 pm »
 L0L    Ha ha Yorkie...He gave you little choice...  _))*

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

brumbob

« Reply #411 on: April 02, 2011, 07:16:56 pm »
Yep, don't mess with the organ grinder Yorkie  L0L

Yorkie

« Reply #412 on: April 02, 2011, 07:58:41 pm »
As I have said before he who pays the piper names the tune, he pays so he can do exactly as he likes without any compunction.   I think we need a vote on the matter.  Single non-transferable type!   $uk

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #413 on: April 03, 2011, 12:14:05 am »
It used to be a case of 'he who holds the power of the pen'  .. but now, its the keyboard!

Yorkie.. I think you should mount a coup, a take over of this Forum ... and I'll mount a takeover of OSCAR !!   L0L
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: April 03, 2011, 09:10:19 am »
I think we need a vote on the matter.

Seriously, if enough folk feel that we need more posts per page, we'll happily change it but I wouldn't want any change to simply create more issues instead of make an improvement.

:D

Yorkie

« Reply #415 on: April 03, 2011, 09:34:33 am »
It used to be a case of 'he who holds the power of the pen'  .. but now, its the keyboard!
Yorkie.. I think you should mount a coup, a take over of this Forum ... and I'll mount a takeover of OSCAR !!   L0L

That seems pretty fair!   At least I wouldn't have to sort out the crap that you would!     _))*   _))*

Offline Trojan

« Reply #416 on: April 05, 2011, 04:07:17 am »

That seems pretty fair!   At least I wouldn't have to sort out the crap that you would!     _))*   _))*

$lol$

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #417 on: May 05, 2011, 01:49:29 pm »
Y'know when you watch an American movie all the people in the background seem pretty normal,  just different accents.  Well where do the ones who arrive in bus loads to Conwy live then, the ones in green shorts, orange t'shirts, over sized cameras  and speak through fog horns in all the shops and streets.  The ones who go "yeeeah" at every available opportunity and they're "ammmazed" by everything because quite frankly I never want to go there.  :rage: :twoface:
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #418 on: May 05, 2011, 05:52:32 pm »
Aw give up--- I've go two coming later this month who are bombarding me with E Mails on where to go, what to do etc. They seem to think that they can catch a train to the foot of Snowdon--waltz onto the Snowdon Railway, go up, come down and still have time for lunch in Caernarfon. Can I get through to them that they will have to change transport or go all the way on the bus or Sherpa and that it will cost £50 plus a booking fee for them on the Snowdon Railway--if they can get on. No can I heck ! :rage:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #419 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:22 pm »
just like these then ;D

Ruddy Hell It's Harry and Paul
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas