Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 418168 times)

Offline BMD

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #990 on: August 06, 2014, 10:20:56 am »
What do you guys think of Colwyn Bay visitor centre: https://twitter.com/WeeklyNewsBay/status/496938718226579456

It looks a bit grim if you ask me, isn't this what Porth Eirias should be used for?

Good point. The "visitor centre" sign certainly adds a touch of inadvertent comedy. What a welcome for visitors to the prom! "Prom Xtra" coming up shortly too.

It certainly highlights one important location advantage of the pier over Porth Eirias. Ideally they want something to attract people by foot directly from the town. A renovated pier - even a basic boardwalk - would certainly provide such an attraction (and would make a very nice welcome for visitors). But alas, that's another sad story.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #991 on: August 06, 2014, 10:32:58 am »
I think you're right there - location is everything. Location of Pier is very important in welcoming people to waterfront and drawing people to beach and vice versa. Just a huge shame at the minute this is what tourists will be greeted with.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #992 on: August 06, 2014, 11:17:28 am »
Unbelievable! More like visitor shed!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #993 on: August 06, 2014, 11:45:03 am »
That would be insulting to a shed. How about visitor container?

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #994 on: August 06, 2014, 12:19:49 pm »
Although I'm quick to criticise CCBC when they deserve it, feel I should clarify this is a contractor installed visitor centre and part of their public liaison operation. Still, the contractors were contracted by council so they still should get some blame.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #995 on: August 06, 2014, 12:24:13 pm »
Although I'm quick to criticise CCBC when they deserve it, feel I should clarify this is a contractor installed visitor centre and part of their public liaison operation. Still, the contractors were contracted by council so they still should get some blame.

No doubt you will be in a position to explain to your readers when your writings are due to be published in the local rag!   Maybe rag is a bit impolite, but we won't worry about that.    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #996 on: August 06, 2014, 12:28:21 pm »
I hope you're not implying I would ever intentionally mislead my readers! I do clarify in the story it is a contractor visitor centre.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #997 on: August 06, 2014, 12:55:26 pm »
I hope you're not implying I would ever intentionally mislead my readers! I do clarify in the story it is a contractor visitor centre.

My dear Sir.  As I do not know you from Adam there is no way on this Earth that I would ever pass any implication in your direction regarding  make do Tourist Offices or the reason for their appearance.  You may rest assured that your reputation, in my eyes anyway, remains as pure and unsullied as it was prior to this public exchange of correspondence.   I am forever conscious that "The pen is mightier than the sword", and would therefore never choose to have a disagreeable discourse with anyone who wields one for a living, however meagre.
Good luck!
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #998 on: August 06, 2014, 01:01:24 pm »
I think you're doing a great job, Tom.

Back to the subject at hand, it's ironic that CCBC consider it important to have a Visitor Centre dealing with the Beach Works on the Prom, yet don't bother to have one that actually deals with real Visitor enquiries?  ???

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #999 on: August 06, 2014, 01:15:53 pm »
OMG. If the comments flying around are anything to go by I wouldn't want to work there ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1000 on: August 06, 2014, 01:46:12 pm »
Slightly off tack.  We are having a clear out and discovered an old copy of the NWWN with our photograph and announcement when we got married.  On the same section a certain Brian Cossey and his wife had their picture, that was August 1972. 

Ever grateful for the paper over the intervening years and the reporters who keep us entertained and in the know.
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1001 on: August 06, 2014, 02:10:00 pm »
Thanks for the positive words.

Anyone read The Pioneer today? They quote a taxi company owner from Denbigh saying Bryn is still "100% committed" to Porth Eirias bistro.

Every attempt I've made for quote from the horses mouth has been rebuffed.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1002 on: August 06, 2014, 04:34:28 pm »
Ah!  But people always talk to their Taxi Drivers as any  London Cabby will tell you!    They hold a plethora of information and intimate secrets that the whole World would love to know.    :D
Cicero

Offline alw

« Reply #1003 on: August 06, 2014, 08:48:20 pm »
Thanks for the positive words.

Anyone read The Pioneer today? They quote a taxi company owner from Denbigh saying Bryn is still "100% committed" to Porth Eirias bistro.

Every attempt I've made for quote from the horses mouth has been rebuffed.

The word in the corridors is that Bryn will be invited to accept the £70,000 worth of alterations agreed in the lease he signed, because there will be absolutely no more cash on offer. 
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1004 on: August 06, 2014, 08:55:25 pm »
That should be enough for him.   You can build a couple of decent houses for that money (excluding cost of land).
Cicero