Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 418151 times)

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #960 on: July 30, 2014, 04:06:10 pm »
Glad to be on board - I've been snooping on here for stories for a while now. Figured it was time to out myself!

Blue Peter filming at Porth Eirias tomorrow. If your kids want to be involved they should head down there at 1pm, so I've heard.

First I heard was tweet this afternoon - Conwy haven't sent out a release.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #961 on: July 30, 2014, 04:09:15 pm »
Blue Peter seem to like this area.  They were filming on the Orme two weeks ago.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #962 on: July 30, 2014, 04:12:08 pm »
They filmed on Orme last year as well - to do with Wales Rally GB I think.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #963 on: July 30, 2014, 04:14:17 pm »
That's right. This was to do with trying out climbing and caving, apparently.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #964 on: July 30, 2014, 05:10:45 pm »
Glad to be on board - I've been snooping on here for stories for a while now. Figured it was time to out myself!

Blue Peter filming at Porth Eirias tomorrow. If your kids want to be involved they should head down there at 1pm, so I've heard.

First I heard was tweet this afternoon - Conwy haven't sent out a release.

Welcome Tom, better warn Blue Peter people to be careful on the skip, it is a dangerous place as I found out a couple of weeks ago! Re my claim, I had a reply from Councillor Edwards who came round in person with a letter saying I would be hearing from the council's insurance company, still waiting for that to arrive! Watch out for those concrete blocks!   ££$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline peterh

« Reply #965 on: July 30, 2014, 07:52:24 pm »
If the costs for the kitchen refurb is £300k-£400k then for the relatively small kitchen / servery area as it is at this time these costs are ludicrous. In an earlier life I designed, procured and managed large building services installations a number of which included far larger catering kitchen installations that this one in question.   I understood there was always going to be an eatery of sorts and the current servery area was set out and as such all of the services for this area should have been installed at the outset and not now. As for the servery being circular and not being acceptable again it should not have been designed that way but by clever use of custom made stainless steel infill panels between each of the appliances a perfectly serviceable kitchen could be provided that would satisfy all current regulations at a fraction of the costs being discussed and within the existing space.

The purpose of these comments is to go back to an earlier post stating that clearly the building is not fit for purpose and CCBC and the architects must accept their responsibilities accordingly .

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #966 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:17 pm »
That was very interesting peterh and puts the whole farce into perspective, someone or all of the Councillors must be accountable for this mismanagement of public money.
On a positive note, thank goodness they didn't close those Kiosks on Rhos Prom.    I went past the one with the pink car outside and business was booming.    The people who run the kiosks deserve everything for their hard work and the quality of food they deliver.   It just goes to show that they are catering for the needs of the tourists and locals alike. So well done to them.      $good$         

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #967 on: July 30, 2014, 10:56:21 pm »
  I drive past both kiosks every day but, for no apparent reason, I always seem to notice the pink car one the most. However early I am - say 8.45 - and however late I am, maybe 7.30 in the evening, the pink car is still there and the kiosk going strong. And I think I put in a fair days work. Nothing compared to the pink car owners

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #968 on: July 31, 2014, 01:10:26 pm »
And like ourselves Mike-- they are no spring chickens !! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #969 on: July 31, 2014, 06:03:53 pm »
Welcome to the Forum, Tom.  $good$

Offline Dave

« Reply #970 on: August 03, 2014, 08:04:30 pm »
I finally got to look at the watersports facility up close and personal today instead of driving past. Not impressed one little bit, a monstrous waste putting it mildly. Going inside I was disgusted that this multi million pound construction looked filthy, the floors hadn't been swept or washed for several days. Underneath two of I think maybe 4 tables was a build up of grime, dirt, sand,food and dried spilt coffee. I mentioned to one of the two people who were manning the place that I could see why it's been nicknamed "the Skip", his reply was " that's what happens when the instructors come in for lunch" to which I replied " it's what happens when no one cleans up after them" He said they had only just left. No way was that accumulation of dirt just left.
Would I open a top restaurant here... . No way !

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #971 on: August 03, 2014, 08:31:02 pm »
The place is a joke, but we can't laugh at it as we are all paying for the monstrosity!  &shake&
I'm still waiting to here about my claim from CCBC, although last Monday Councillor Edwards came round with a letter for me from himself saying that it would be passed on to the council's insurers, I thought it was very good of him to call round like that!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #972 on: August 04, 2014, 11:02:34 am »
Given that CCBC are discussing a potential £400K spending on alterations, I hope they take the opportunity to take a step back, and reconsider the place's function. I don't see how it's going to be financially "sustainable", even if a bistro or cafe does get set up. The figures published show the problem.

It's a large building. Much of the space is poorly utilised (or not utilised at all). Although there's probably not much that can be done about the oversized toilet-and-corridor block (which takes up the whole zinc skip section), they could reconsider the ample space that's currently set aside for conference rooms, and the central section with the pointless big round reception desk, and the space around it that seems wasted.

It needs some imagination. What kind of fun things do people want at a seaside? Look at all the seaside stuff on, say, Llandudno pier. Now imagine Llandudno pier with conference rooms and giant windowless block of corridors and changing roooms replacing the end arcade section.

Currently Porth Eirias has all the "ambience" of a council meeting room. (And that's probably because most of the design input came from people who spend most of their time in council meeting rooms!).

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #973 on: August 04, 2014, 04:38:11 pm »
Hi guys,

As you may have already gathered press and public were kicked out this morning - a real blow for democracy I say.

Look out for tomorrow's Daily Post for some fairly incendiary quotes from David Jones MP. If it goes online before then I'll post a link.

Only three councillors voted to make discussion open to public, Cllrs Donald Milne, Janet Howarth and Sara Allardice.

A recommendation has been made to Cabinet for Tuesday August 12.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #974 on: August 04, 2014, 04:53:37 pm »
three out of how many Tom?