Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 227293 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #315 on: August 21, 2012, 07:43:01 pm »
These "boy racers" are merely trying the race track in the same direction as some of the Rallies use.   It is certainly more exciting going the wrong way for a change!  Problem is the road is not closed and marshalled for them!   Accidents have happened and will continue, we just don't hear about them.    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: August 22, 2012, 07:11:41 am »
the definition in section 192 of the Road Traffic Act 1988:   Road .... means any highway and any other road to which the public has access...

But don't forget the bit that follows...

The highway authority's powers, however, will be much more limited, and section 130 of the Highways Act will not apply.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: August 22, 2012, 07:13:30 am »
Apart from any legal technicalities, the question is why would any sane person wish to drive the wrong way around the Orme?

Not sure it's local drivers, M;  I suspect most are visitors who don't know the road and who don't see the signs when they leave the various car parking areas at the half way stage.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2012, 11:10:41 am »
Going back to the subject of the £15 yearly pass-- the blue one-- Yes-- providing the car registration matches the one printed on the pass it is free to park at the summit using the pass as a displayed ticket. I asked Stuart this morning.
Not so if you have a pink pass, which is issued to people who's relatives are buried at St Tudno's. That is not valid at the summit.

Got stuck behind some driver doing less than 10mph this morning-- he hadn't a clue that I was following him $angry$
Just out of interest a young fox cub was wandering in the road near Llys Helig Drive this a.m.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21:17 am »
The easiest way to avoid the toll is to go up via the Tram Track road.  Since CCBC removed the collection of tolls at the bottom of the Zig-zag road there is no control.  Having signed the CCBC Official Secrets Act I am prohibited from saying how much revenue it generated.  It also stopped drivers using the tram track as a way to dodge the toll and more was collected at the toll gate.   Very short sighted of them!     &shake&
Cicero

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2012, 12:35:43 pm »
The easiest way to avoid the toll is to go up via the Tram Track road.  Since CCBC removed the collection of tolls at the bottom of the Zig-zag road there is no control.  Having signed the CCBC Official Secrets Act I am prohibited from saying how much revenue it generated.  It also stopped drivers using the tram track as a way to dodge the toll and more was collected at the toll gate.   Very short sighted of them!     &shake&

Best you go up Ty Gwyn Road for the first bit Yorkie otherwise you might come a cropper on Tabor Hill especially if the Trams are running, besides its No Entry from the bottom anyway. We’ve used it a lot since in their short sightedness, the Council removed our Free Access privilege to the Orme for Orme Residence.   :(
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2012, 12:43:28 pm »
I'm wondering if Yorkie means St Tudno's Rd which crosses the tram tracks leading to Marine Drive via the church and zig zag rather than going up the Orme via Old Rd.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #322 on: August 22, 2012, 03:43:08 pm »
I'm wondering if Yorkie means St Tudno's Rd which crosses the tram tracks leading to Marine Drive via the church and zig zag rather than going up the Orme via Old Rd.

Sort of.   I mean going up the road next to the Empire Hotel and then turning left just after the tram half way station and going past the church and the toilets and the Rectory Tea Gardens that are no more.  OK?   WWW
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #323 on: August 22, 2012, 03:52:21 pm »

Sort of.   I mean going up the road next to the Empire Hotel and then turning left just after the tram half way station and going past the church and the toilets and the Rectory Tea Gardens that are no more.  OK?   WWW

Surely you mean right Yorkie!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #324 on: August 22, 2012, 07:46:41 pm »

Of course I do!   I was just wondering if anyone was actually paying attention!  Obviously you are the only one that was!   CONGRATULATIONS!    Z**
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2012, 12:42:15 am »
Just for clarity, Yorkie is of course referring to Ty Gwyn Road.... the only legally free way to drive to the Orme summit.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #326 on: August 23, 2012, 12:47:38 pm »

Of course I do!   I was just wondering if anyone was actually paying attention!  Obviously you are the only one that was!   CONGRATULATIONS!    Z**

Oooh ta !!! :twoface:

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #327 on: August 24, 2012, 03:40:49 pm »
Whilst were on the subject of going up the Orme, one of the most overlooked ways of getting there apart from walking, is to use our local taxi's. From the Rank on Gloddaeth Street to the summit is 1.35 miles on the meter with 4 in the cab it's cheaper than the Bus. Unless of course you’re all doddering old farts, like me and you use your Welsh Bus Pass  $walesflag$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2012, 10:23:47 pm »
There are a significant and growing number of Taxi drivers who either REFUSE to take passengers up The Great Orme, or do it begrudgingly.   I know this from first hand experience!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2012, 11:24:54 pm »
There are a significant and growing number of Taxi drivers who either REFUSE to take passengers up The Great Orme, or do it begrudgingly.   I know this from first hand experience!
Maybe it's just YOU?