Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 227277 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #330 on: August 24, 2012, 11:28:19 pm »
There are a significant and growing number of Taxi drivers who either REFUSE to take passengers up The Great Orme, or do it begrudgingly.   I know this from first hand experience!
Maybe it's just YOU?

_))*    I just drive up it, effortless!  ^*^0
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #331 on: August 24, 2012, 11:29:44 pm »
Dave, I know what you are referring to, but no.... I have asked several drivers about this recently.
Many admit to 'avoiding' that particular job.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #332 on: August 24, 2012, 11:33:58 pm »
40 odd years ago drivers were saying driving up the Orme wore out clutches and gearboxes etc! not to mention using a lot more fuel, makes the job uneconomic for taxis probably.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Paddy

« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2012, 06:18:18 am »
40 odd years ago drivers were saying driving up the Orme wore out clutches and gearboxes etc! not to mention using a lot more fuel, makes the job uneconomic for taxis probably.

You're quite right ME. Driving up the Orme does use more fuel but driving down the Orme doesn't use any fuel.

A round trip from the Gloddaeth St rank to, for example, Fester's house is less than a mile for a full fare. I would do it all day long.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #334 on: August 25, 2012, 07:58:13 am »
but driving down the Orme doesn't use any fuel.

In modern cars, with air-con, power braking and power steering, it does use fuel. The one exception is a hybrid with regenerative braking.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: August 25, 2012, 09:37:07 am »
Under the terms of their Hackney Carriage Licence, I didn't think drivers could refuse to to take you to a particular destination?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #336 on: August 25, 2012, 10:46:13 am »
Alot of this is lack of confidence, not the taxis obviously, butI often see people teetering about on the hill, either up or down, looking scared stiff. Many have no idea of clutch control, thus I never come up close to anyone at Black Gate when the lights are at red.
Thurs this week some eejit held up the service bus, Wilson's bus and a queue of drivers both up and down, when we eventually got moving he came past red in the face and sweating. One woman said to me as we waited Can't I pop on there? I said feel free-- just mind the tram, the road is only wide enough for one vehicle at a time. She didn't go !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #337 on: August 25, 2012, 12:45:34 pm »
Might be wrong but I am sure I have read somewhere that the Hackney Carriage rates include a supplement for going beyond a certain point up the Orme. If a Hackney driver refuses a fare without good reason he can be reported to the Council. Private hire is different and they probably can refuse.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #338 on: August 25, 2012, 11:37:22 pm »
one day last week the No19 bus had to back down the hill because some irresponsible driver in a red four wheel drive jeep had parked up that far from the pavement the bus could not get through, a lot avoid the trip up because of the tightness of the road before the lights due to the parked cars.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #339 on: August 26, 2012, 01:14:52 am »
one day last week the No19 bus had to back down the hill because some irresponsible driver in a red four wheel drive jeep had parked up that far from the pavement the bus could not get through, a lot avoid the trip up because of the tightness of the road before the lights due to the parked cars.

With yellow lines in abundance around the town does it seem strange to anyone else that on the narrowest part of Ty Gwyn Hill they are mysteriously missing, causing the traffic flow mayhem mentioned above. There’s something else about yellow lines on the Orme that doesn’t add up. On the entrance to Ty Gwyn Road and Tan Yr Ogof Road from Church Walks they fail to comply with the Road Traffic Act. On the East side going down Church Walks they comply but not on the West side going up they don’t. Neither lines coming out of Tan Yr Ogof Road comply. So if ever your stuck for somewhere to Park when you come up this end of Town doing your shopping you now know where to leave the car.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #340 on: August 26, 2012, 08:42:39 am »
With yellow lines in abundance around the town does it seem strange to anyone else that on the narrowest part of Ty Gwyn Hill they are mysteriously missing, causing the traffic flow mayhem .

Didn't a couple of Town and County Councillors live in one of the houses?   ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blongb

« Reply #341 on: August 26, 2012, 02:57:27 pm »
With yellow lines in abundance around the town does it seem strange to anyone else that on the narrowest part of Ty Gwyn Hill they are mysteriously missing, causing the traffic flow mayhem .

Your right again Yorkie and possibly a Masonic connection for the other one's. One rule for them and the sticky end of the stick for the rest of us  :-}}}

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #342 on: August 26, 2012, 04:15:46 pm »

Your right again Yorkie and possibly a Masonic connection for the other one's. One rule for them and the sticky end of the stick for the rest of us  :-}}}

Seeing as you're both so happy to make such allegations why don't you enlighten the rest of us by going into more detail.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #343 on: August 26, 2012, 06:27:26 pm »

Seeing as you're both so happy to make such allegations why don't you enlighten the rest of us by going into more detail.

First, I cannot see that I have made any allegation against anyone.

Secondly, have a look at the Register of Councillors for both Llandudno TC and CCBC and you will find the names and addresses of all Councillors.  You may have to go back a few years.

Thirdly, PM me your correct name and address and I will answer your concerns directly.   I will not send to any anonymous individual.

I have no knowledge of any Masonic connection with either case mentioned and did not make such suggestion.

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blongb

« Reply #344 on: August 26, 2012, 06:49:51 pm »

I have no knowledge of any Masonic connection with either case mentioned.

Sorry Yorkie if I caused confusion, the masonic connection was only a possibility with the yellow lines at the bottom of the hill. Like you I know of no masonic connection with our Town or County Councillors who may or may not live up the Orme, nor was I trying to imply one.