Author Topic: Local Politics  (Read 181755 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Politics
« Reply #330 on: March 22, 2012, 10:15:25 am »
Are you standing for the Town Council, Yorkie? I thought it was County you were standing for?

Town Council is pointless...no real power and no real money. Just a pensioners talking shop.  &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #331 on: March 22, 2012, 10:40:00 am »
 :o :o   Maybe Yorkie can change the things they talk about??

Such as making our esteemed Mayor accountable for his grandiose Pier Pavilion promises?   

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #332 on: March 22, 2012, 11:28:13 am »
Are you standing for the Town Council, Yorkie? I thought it was County you were standing for?

Town Council is pointless...no real power and no real money. Just a pensioners talking shop.  &shake&

I typed a rather long reply to the above comment, which I have deleted,  as it just reflects the typical attitude of those who can only criticise but who are not prepared to do anything about it themselves.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: March 22, 2012, 02:00:45 pm »
Could I possibly refer you to your own comment about Llandudno Town Council, dated April 6th 2011:

"What a load of Tossers they are"

..and your comment of May 7th 2011:

"I have been a Town Councillor, as has another Member of the Forum and quite frankly it is a waste of time. "

:laugh:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #334 on: March 22, 2012, 06:31:54 pm »
It was your generalisation to pensioners I did not like as I fall into that category and do not consider myself as ever having been a willing part of a useless talking shop.

However my past comment still rings true, but I would hope that myself with others, could improve the situation, and make a more effective and influential group, capable of giving the community the efficient service and positive represenation they deserve.

I am sure that the other Member, like myself, hopes that even though not "in power",  we can try to influence decisions and get things done by our posting on this and other Forums.   This is why such Forums are an important part of the social network, giving everyone the opportunity to express themselves about almost anything.  For that we thank you.    $thanx$
Cicero

Offline John Oddy

« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2012, 03:37:05 pm »
I get Yorkie’s point; I too am “only” a Town Councillor (ex-Army Intelligence too) but I believe that as an individual you can make a difference to a Council if you talk sense and battle hard enough.
It’s never easy trying to please all the people all the time because it just cannot be done, there has to be a compromise....finding that compromise is more often than not the real problem. Those of you that know me know my early years on the Council were not easy, I never expected them to be and I still have my enemies but, over the years, more people have realised that I speak the truth and use, what a lot of County Councillors are lacking, common sense and I back everything up with facts and figures. Over the years I have found myself aligning with past adversaries, and vice-versa, over certain issues, the best way I found of dealing with things is not to think “what do I want!” but to think “what is best for the community involved”.....agreed, I have done a lot of banging my head on the wall but overall being a Councillor has proved to be an enlightening experience and one that others should try before taking pot-shots at those that show an interest!

On a different note....I know Dave Roberts personally and I’m not the only person to say this but we believe that you, Dave, would make an outstanding Councillor, why not give it a go?   

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #336 on: March 23, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »
....... an enlightening experience and one that others should try before taking pot-shots at those that show an interest!

On a different note....I know Dave Roberts personally and I’m not the only person to say this but we believe that you, Dave, would make an outstanding Councillor, why not give it a go?

Dave certainly would make a good Councillor - after he got over the shock of sitting in the Council Chamber and seeing exactly what goes on!   ££$
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2012, 09:00:25 am »
Did you stand for Town Council in the end, Yorkie? Deadline was yesterday, I believe?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2012, 11:02:54 am »
Nominations have been announced. 6 Town Councillor vacancies in Penrhyn Bay, only 5 nominations, so everyone who applied got in and one spare vacancy! You should have applied, Yorkie!  ;)

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/496/Llandudno__Penrhyn.pdf

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2012, 11:41:27 am »
I've been so busy on other matters I forgot all about getting my nomination papers and in fact only asked about them today!  Not too worried though - I'll hassle them from the sidelines.     _))*
Cicero

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #340 on: April 06, 2012, 09:30:51 am »
Having a gander at the town council nominations, it looks as if the Penrhyn and Craigydon wards will have no contested elections.  So not much interest from the public or even the parties in those parts.  Seems much more serious interest in Gogarth and Mostyn.  Less so in Tudno but at least there will be at least two new councillors in that one whatever happens.

Offline dingo20

Bus service
« Reply #341 on: April 06, 2012, 11:04:15 am »
Does anyone know whats happened to the 73 bus service that goes up the great orme?

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #342 on: April 06, 2012, 11:49:48 am »
The 73 and 74 have both gone.  I think the Glan Conwy bus (25) now extends up the Orme - saw one the other day and the destination said "Great Orme Summit".

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: April 06, 2012, 02:43:14 pm »
No.19 now serves the Orme. No.73 got scrapped because it was lightly used.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #344 on: April 07, 2012, 09:16:19 am »
Billy Evans and Marrubi get my vote on Tudno