Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028733 times)

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2820 on: August 12, 2015, 10:42:13 am »
Liverpool Arms re-opens officially 12pm today. I'll be there for a quick pint.  Z**
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2821 on: August 12, 2015, 08:41:21 pm »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2822 on: August 13, 2015, 10:06:04 am »
Look how Conwy Quay's iconic Liverpool Arms looks now it's reopened

MORE AND PHOTOS....http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-quay-liverpool-arms-reopen--9843067?utm_content=buffer12512&utm_medium=social&utm_source
It looks pleasant enough, but I dislike how pub companies always try to impose character, i.e the generic 'maritime' photos of fish etc, instead of focussing more on the local history of the pub.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2823 on: August 13, 2015, 10:36:45 am »
Look how Conwy Quay's iconic Liverpool Arms looks now it's reopened

MORE AND PHOTOS....http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-quay-liverpool-arms-reopen--9843067?utm_content=buffer12512&utm_medium=social&utm_source
It looks pleasant enough, but I dislike how pub companies always try to impose character, i.e the generic 'maritime' photos of fish etc, instead of focussing more on the local history of the pub.

The Liverpool Arms in Menai Bridge is a perfect example of your post, previously a wonderful busy pub full of local Menai pictures and prints, a real treasure trove of character and atmosphere, popular with locals and visitors. Since it has been refurbished, NASA would be hard pushed to find any atmosphere in there.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #2824 on: August 13, 2015, 11:34:35 am »
Much agree. It looks nice and clean, but where is the localisation. Our local iconic ale house has been stripped of its character. There are some decent pubs in conwy now but will this one be able to compete ? I'm not sure..
This is the result of a typical pub company who are interested in rent, inflated wholesale prices and bums on seats..
The free houses in conwy trade far better than these tied leases. Offering much more than standard cooking lagers and bitters. 

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2825 on: August 13, 2015, 12:55:22 pm »
Very true Cat Stevens,lets hope Llandudno gets one soon.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2826 on: August 13, 2015, 02:26:39 pm »

They used to have a few

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2827 on: August 13, 2015, 03:33:01 pm »

They used to have a few

But.... if people don't actually spend any money in them, and constantly seek the cheap option, they don't survive.

Which is why places like Deganwy Quay, The Seahorse and the new Snooze Bar get my money.... they are expensive, but WELL worth it.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2828 on: August 13, 2015, 03:40:29 pm »
And where are the young people supposed to go?

It's fine for elderly rich folk like yourself to frequent those places, but what about penniless youngsters like me  ;)?

I'm sure when you were 18/19 you wouldn't have been drinking in those establishments (Or the Bradford versions of them), but I bet that you had a good supply of fun, cheap pubs with great music and great atmosphere. Llandudno did 15 years ago. It doesn't anymore. Why should the next generation be deprived of what we had?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2829 on: August 14, 2015, 01:01:33 pm »
And where are the young people supposed to go?

It's fine for elderly rich folk like yourself to frequent those places, but what about penniless youngsters like me  ;)?

I'm sure when you were 18/19 you wouldn't have been drinking in those establishments (Or the Bradford versions of them), but I bet that you had a good supply of fun, cheap pubs with great music and great atmosphere. Llandudno did 15 years ago. It doesn't anymore. Why should the next generation be deprived of what we had?

The most accurate post I've seen on this Forum, only marred by the word 'rich'
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #2830 on: August 17, 2015, 06:44:22 am »
Out for a meal in Paysanne on Friday evening - which was excellent - although someone on the table next to me wasn't happy with the menu not changing very often.

At about 9.30pm I went to Prohibition for an after-drink and it was deserted. The place looks to be struggling.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2831 on: August 17, 2015, 09:17:57 am »
Paysanne catered for our work BBQ last week. No decent vegetarian options  :-X
Didn't enamour me to want to vist, do want to go Prohibition though, hope it doesn't close

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2832 on: August 17, 2015, 09:50:48 am »
I find the Paysanne curious, and interesting in a bizarre sort of way, in that I have no idea why people rate it so highly. I have been there four or five times in the past few years (each time to virtually the same menu) because my good chum and his other half are highly enamoured with the place. Mrs B and I find it very passé and overpriced, with, at best, mediocre food, (my grey steak on my last visit was remarkable for being tasteless,) appallingly expensive wine for what it is, and an irritating, annoying and ingratiating patron.   

Yet others love it.

I suppose that it's good to have choices, and not everyone likes the same thing. I'm not suggesting that the Paysanne is so very awful or terribly dreadful, I just don't think it's very good, and I really don't understand why so many people rate it so highly.   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #2833 on: August 17, 2015, 10:36:44 am »
I for one have only had good meals there, I really enjoy it. And it was fully booked on Friday, people queuing out the door.

Cai's schtick might be a bit irritating to some but I'd rather that then a dull host.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2834 on: August 17, 2015, 10:59:06 am »
Tom, I'm glad that you enjoyed it, it's just that I don't see, or understand, the appeal.