Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028638 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2160 on: May 11, 2014, 12:36:56 pm »
No wonder folks don't know a dish cloth from a scrubbing brush!

OMG I dread to think what goes on where we don't see !! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2161 on: May 11, 2014, 08:55:34 pm »
Is 135 upper mostyn st the old manor stores,app to change it into anoter restaurant and take-away.Nothing wrong with a good retaurant i just hope its a good one.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2162 on: May 11, 2014, 09:36:13 pm »
Wrex,  the more the merrier in Upper Mostyn Street, I say.

That strip could become a real destination for visitors looking for a good night out, drinks, food etc...

The BIG problem though, is that most decent places stop serving very early, before 9pm in most cases.
That leaves you with a curry or a kebab after those hours.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2163 on: May 11, 2014, 10:05:20 pm »
 Nemesis is a bit concerned about public health exams are now taken on the internet. I think she should well be.

This is nothing to do with a serious subject like public health.  But I recently was required to take an "e learning " course and at the end take a 20 mins exam covering around 30 questions So I read it through, you could go back and forth through the pages, and then I took the test which, once started, you had to complete. I ran out of time, and it stated that because I hadn't finished I had only got 72% pass and I needed a min of 80%. So failed. Go back and read it all again.

So I did. Took it again, faster, got 73%, failed. I knew where I had gone wrong, one of the questions you had to pick one out of six alternatives. Only one choice was correct. And it was a complicated subject, I read through the lessons a couple of times and I still wasn't sure.

So, to save myself time and hard work, I just took the test, ticked "a", wrong, went back took test again, ticked "b",  and again ticked "c"  BINGO YOU HAVE REACHED 80% YOU HAVE PASSED.

I might add before anyone gets worried that this was to do with mechanising in the financial world and involved putting up leaflets and posters for maximum effect. Hardly life threatening, but dead complicated.  Mike

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2164 on: May 12, 2014, 08:28:19 am »
Exactly Mike. Different subject, but same idea-- open to lack of supervision. I've been in places and come out again, not liking what I could see, never mind what I couldn't.
It will always stay in my mind that the day my Dad died he was admitted into hospital and we had to insist that the doctor washed his hands before he examined Dad. Why ?--- He had just walked into the room and vociferously blown his nose. This was back in the late 90s and I don't imagine things have got any better .

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2165 on: May 12, 2014, 09:36:39 pm »
   Thats really dreadful.  I only hope you don't suspect this Doctors actions affected your Father so much that he failed to recover. In which case you will be living with this for ever

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2166 on: May 12, 2014, 10:29:07 pm »
I hear that Chrissie's Seafood kitchen in Conwy has ceased trading.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2167 on: May 13, 2014, 08:33:18 am »
   Thats really dreadful.  I only hope you don't suspect this Doctors actions affected your Father so much that he failed to recover. In which case you will be living with this for ever

Thanks Mike-- but no. He had had one of the first Mitral Valve transplants in the North Of England which was supposed to last for 7 years. He lived for 17 years after it, so we were actually living on a knife edge for those 17 years. Not like today with modern methods-- he was in hospital for 13 weeks at the time and my mother didn't drive--- so the journey from Huddersfield to Leeds was made every single day by my OH and myself. At 78 it wasn't viable to re-do the procedure.

We seem to have diverted from the title subject---sorry folks !

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2168 on: May 13, 2014, 01:55:14 pm »
No problem at all, N.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2169 on: May 13, 2014, 07:31:43 pm »
I think that this very good article that may clarify the situation and explain matters that have been the subject of discussion in respect of food hygiene ratings.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/food-hygiene-ratings-dirty-dozen-7109492
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2170 on: May 17, 2014, 09:29:29 pm »
I do have to admit some surprise that no-one has commented on the above post, as it really does concern the fundamentals of the commercial core of the area. And there were several posts immediately after the original link that rather disparaged the principles of the rating system....  yet no response to the last Daily Posts article....

Interesting.... 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2171 on: May 17, 2014, 10:17:53 pm »
Surely if it scores 0 it should be shut down? Who would want to go in such a place anyway?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2172 on: May 18, 2014, 08:06:38 am »
And there were several posts immediately after the original link that rather disparaged the principles of the rating system....  yet no response to the last Daily Posts article.... Interesting.... 

Not sure why you find it 'interesting'; it's fairly common for topics to dip, especially when a number of points have already been made, none of which the Daily Post article actually addresses.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2173 on: May 18, 2014, 11:11:23 am »
I do have to admit some surprise that no-one has commented on the above post, as it really does concern the fundamentals of the commercial core of the area. And there were several posts immediately after the original link that rather disparaged the principles of the rating system....  yet no response to the last Daily Posts article....

Interesting....

I feel that all the rules and regulations we have today have helped to take away the body's natural defence mechanisms whereby it builds up immunity to many of the bugs and upsets that have become more prevalent than they ever were.  Us oldies ate plenty of rubbish often prepared in what would now be considered unhygienic conditions, and we are the one who seem to survive the regular bugs that pervade society nowadays.

Go into the streets of some far eastern countries and eat the delicacies prepared in and on the streets, withour a bottle of disinfectant in sight,  lovely grub!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2174 on: May 18, 2014, 06:10:57 pm »
I went to Virgilio's Restaurant in Colwyn Bay last night and enjoyed the  Espetada Mista which is Madeira's version of surf & turf, a mixture of jumbo king prawns marinated in garlic, coriander and lemon, juicy cubes of sirloin with rock salt, garlic and bay leaves.
Absolutely delicious and the place was really busy, it won't be long before I'll be back again and ordering the same thing again.     $good$   $dins$