Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1029598 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #690 on: January 12, 2012, 01:54:15 am »
Not totally related but my one abiding memory of going to a Little Chef was in 1998  near Newbury on the way to a family holiday in France. The only reason I can remember it was the headline in the red top newspaper when we were having breakfast in there. It was the day after George Michael was arrested for looking for company in a a gents toilets and the infamous headline of "Zip me up before you go go".  Strange how some things stick in your mind!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #691 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:54 am »
STAFF at one of the country’s top cafe bar chains are in high spirits.

The Fat Cat group celebrates its 20th anniversary on Friday, having started the brand in North Wales on January 20 1992.

The Derby-based company, which has premises in Llandudno, Wrexham and Chester, opened its first bar in Bangor.

The Gwynedd venue was the first of 14 bars and restaurants and opened in its original location on the high street.

Managing director Matt Saunders and financial director Simon Patterson resided above the bar during its first years before expanding to Chester and Nottingham.

To celebrate this landmark achievement, the Fat Cat is holding a 20th birthday party on Friday at its Derby base, though every branch will be celebrating with offers and music from the early 1990s.

Matt told Business Post: “We have seen enormous changes within the pub and restaurant sector as well as the economy as a whole over the past 20 years.

“During this time both the business and the Fat Cat brand has evolved enormously to become the entity that it is today, whilst staying true to its core values of serving great food and drink at good value for money in a stylish and safe environment.”

Since 1992 the firm has opened further sites in London, the Midlands, across Wales and the north west.

“During 2007 a number of our sites underwent refits in order maintain the high standards,” added Matt.

“Over a period of two years during 2010/11 an additional six sites received substantial investment in both customer areas and back of house.

“The Fat Cat has been at the forefront of radical changes to the pub industry, constantly innovating in order to satisfy increasingly sophisticated customer demands for food and drink and the atmosphere in which to enjoy it. The big brewers are now also introducing well-executed concepts within the sector, making the industry a most exciting one to be a part of, both as a customer and an operator.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business-news/business-news/2012/01/18/cafe-bar-group-celebrates-20-years-at-the-top-55578-30144728/

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #693 on: January 19, 2012, 11:21:22 am »
The Albion was looking good last Saturday  :)

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #694 on: January 19, 2012, 12:57:36 pm »
Word has reached me that the 'list of issues' which were preventing the opening of Caffe Nero has now been progressed 'very smoothly.'  It was quite an extensive list apparently.

No further obstacles are anticipated, but as yet still no firm date has been given for opening.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #695 on: January 19, 2012, 01:05:18 pm »
Word has reached me that the 'list of issues' which were preventing the opening of Caffe Nero has now been progressed 'very smoothly.'  It was quite an extensive list apparently.

No further obstacles are anticipated, but as yet still no firm date has been given for opening.
A revised Planning Application has just been submitted:

Community Council: Cyngor Tref Llandudno Town Council
Received Date : 22/11/2011
Determination Level Delegated
Development Type(s): Ward: Gogarth
Registered Date: 12/01/2012
Team: Major Applications Team
Proposal: Listed Building Consent to make good existing shopfront, fix new signage and shopfit interior.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #696 on: January 20, 2012, 02:15:29 pm »
Lights on and building activity under way again in Caffe Nero today.
Fester...

Offline Paddy

« Reply #697 on: January 20, 2012, 05:12:33 pm »
Where is this Caffee Nero that keeps being mentioned on here?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #698 on: January 20, 2012, 05:15:46 pm »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #699 on: January 20, 2012, 05:18:07 pm »
Paddy.... that picture from Dave was your answer by the way!  In case you were wondering.
Fester...

Offline martin

« Reply #700 on: January 23, 2012, 03:35:22 pm »
Lights on and building activity under way again in Caffe Nero today.
Just been down there, no activity/lights at all, what has been done is the installation of large boards around what was the entrance. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #701 on: January 23, 2012, 05:15:28 pm »
Planning Permission has not yet been granted, so maybe Fester saw some work being carried out in connection with the small shop next door that is also being refurbished.

There were workmen in both Diskos and Hoosons today.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #702 on: January 23, 2012, 07:10:01 pm »
What I saw in Caffe Nero was about four blokes in high-vis jackets, doing something under arc-lights.

Strangely though, they were not there long, and I have not seen any activity since.
Maybe they were assessing work to date / surveying the next stage?
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #703 on: January 24, 2012, 10:53:29 am »
That's interesting, Sara, thanks for sharing.  $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #704 on: January 29, 2012, 09:51:03 pm »
Tonight Mrs Fester and I had a very pleasant meal at Home Cookin', in Upper Mostryn Street.

I have never before had a full meal there, just a breakfast a few years ago.
Nevertheless, I often see patient queues waiting outside, so I expected that it would be OK at least.

I was never quite sure if Home Cookin' was a restaurant or a posh cafe, but now I have decided that it is a Bistro.

It didn't disappoint.  We both went for identical choices so the review is pretty straightforward.

Starter was natural smoked haddock, with a soft poached egg...and the trimmings.  Very tasty indeed.

We both went to for the 'top of the bill', Sirloin Steak, Peppercorn Sauce, mushroom, tomato etc... just perfect.

A couple of bottles of house white wine, and a slice of chocolate fudge cake with ice cream... a perfect way to round off.

We will definitely be back to Home Cookin', as the quality is excellent, and the prices were on average £5 for a starter and £8 for a main course (not the Sirloin Steal obviously) ....  very much affordable for such good fayre and pleasant atmosphere.  $dins$ $dins$
Fester...