Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1029253 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3075 on: March 24, 2016, 11:26:06 am »
Conwy county food outlets with a hygiene rating of FIVE
See which restaurants, takeaways and pubs were given the highest rating by the Food Standards Agency
These are the restaurants, cafes, pubs and takeaways across Conwy which have a food hygiene rating of five during 2015 and 2016.
A five rating is the highest number given by the Food Standards Agency meaning the business was found to have ‘very good’ hygiene standards.
When food safety officers carry out inspections, they check how hygienically food is handled, the condition of the structure of buildings and how it manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe.

A full list of 5-rated premises is below. This information is correct as of March 23, 2016.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/conwy-food-outlets-hygiene-rating-11049717

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3076 on: March 24, 2016, 01:39:10 pm »
The Kiosk on Rhos Prom (the one with that pink car outside) has a five star food hygiene rating but I can't see it on the list and it's a nice place to stop and have a drink and a bite to eat       (that's when it's not windy or raining)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3077 on: March 24, 2016, 05:16:02 pm »
Conwy county food outlets with a hygiene rating of FIVE
See which restaurants, takeaways and pubs were given the highest rating by the Food Standards Agency
These are the restaurants, cafes, pubs and takeaways across Conwy which have a food hygiene rating of five during 2015 and 2016.
A five rating is the highest number given by the Food Standards Agency meaning the business was found to have ‘very good’ hygiene standards.
When food safety officers carry out inspections, they check how hygienically food is handled, the condition of the structure of buildings and how it manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe.

A full list of 5-rated premises is below. This information is correct as of March 23, 2016.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/conwy-food-outlets-hygiene-rating-11049717

Sorry Steve, all that means is the business concerned is good at paperwork and record keeping and has very little to do with actual food hygine or cleanliness standards. Just like many other industries as long as the inspector can put a tick on his check sheet all is presumed to be well.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3078 on: March 24, 2016, 05:34:15 pm »
"Sorry Steve, all that means is the business concerned is good at paperwork and record keeping and has very little to do with actual food hygine or cleanliness standards. Just like many other industries as long as the inspector can put a tick on his check sheet all is presumed to be well. "

I take your point Blongb, but if they care about the paperwork, we can only hope they put the same effort into their food hygine.     $dins$

And as Hugo points out above the list is not definitive .....

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3079 on: April 06, 2016, 12:31:29 pm »
Malt Loaf in Conwy closed down the other night. Not enough pints with names like Knobblys Foxy Grouting Stout or enough things on the menu for canine's I would imagine  Z**

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3080 on: April 06, 2016, 01:11:01 pm »
I see CCBC are objecting to the proposed Wildwood Restaurant putting tables and chairs outside its premises. Why would it be a problem when practically every cafe and restaurant along Mostyn St have seating outside?

Offline Jack

« Reply #3081 on: April 06, 2016, 01:18:56 pm »
Malt Loaf in Conwy closed down the other night. Not enough pints with names like Knobblys Foxy Grouting Stout or enough things on the menu for canine's I would imagine  Z**

I heard that it was being re-vamped and re-opened under it's former name 'The Erskine Arms'

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3082 on: April 06, 2016, 01:41:50 pm »
I see CCBC are objecting to the proposed Wildwood Restaurant putting tables and chairs outside its premises. Why would it be a problem when practically every cafe and restaurant along Mostyn St have seating outside?

From memory that part of Mostyn St. does not have a lot of pavement clutter, last year Cups and Cakes had a few tables out on that side, I prefer the open pavement,(unlike the lower end) but understand the need for some tables outside.
Who owns the pavements?   

Just seen this......
Llandudno cinema restaurant in al-fresco dining dispute.
An al fresco dining dispute over tables and chairs could hit plans to bring a 30 job restaurant with its own cinema to Llandudno .

National chain Wildwood wants to open its first ever restaurant in Wales with plans for an eaterie on Mostyn Street.
After applying to come to Llandudno last year it received the backing of Llandudno town council and last month planning officers approved the change of use for the shop unit.

But the plans to push on with the restaurant have hit a snag due to restrictions on seating outside of the venue.
The company wants to put five tables and 14 seats outside the restaurant to increase its covers and also fit with the Mediterranean theme of the chain.
They say the canopy above the unit would be utilised for "al fresco dining" and put the canopy to "good use".

However council officers have included a condition in their planning permission that precludes having any seats and tables outside the site.
Now a bid has been lodged to remove that condition and ensure the 30 job restaurant goes ahead as planned.

Highways officers with the council have already said they have no issue with the plans and a final decision is expected in the coming weeks
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-cinema-restaurant-al-fresco-11145632

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3083 on: April 06, 2016, 02:26:12 pm »
This may be controversial, but the fact of the matter is that the Liverpool Arms had been in decline for sometime.  Once a delightful pub, it had become very a tatty and grubby establishment which often ran out of beer at busy periods. The George and Dragon was little better and desperately needs the refit that it's currently undergoing. The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally, and that the requirement is for well run clean pubs, not 'dives'. Let's hope that the LA re-opens with a refurbishment; it's a fantastic location with virtually a captive audience, and correctly run will undoubtedly be a very successful venture.

"The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally"

Two of those have only just opened! They don't show anything. I could open a juggling ball shop today if I wanted to, would that mean there was plenty of trade for juggling balls locally?

Come back in a year and we'll see if they are still doing well. My guess is that in the winter they will be deserted.
Where as a 'dive' as you put it, will have a steady stream of local customers all year round. Just like the Malt loaf and mail coach do  that have been open years.

The Albion is as packed as ever and has been all winter, The Bridge very busy with refurbished letting rooms and The Bank is doing well. The Liverpool Arms and George and Dragon have been refurbished, and now possibly, another 'dive' is being refurbished.

How's the Juggling Ball Shop doing? 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Jack

« Reply #3084 on: April 06, 2016, 02:35:34 pm »
Malt Loaf owned by Stange & Co; only natural that they would want to replicate the successes of the Cottage Loaf and their other pubs on the Wirral, in Conwy.

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #3085 on: April 06, 2016, 03:36:18 pm »

Why are council officials always up their own A**e??? Dont they realise that people are wanting to invest in the town and bring new jobs here?

If highways have no issue what is the problem?????

:rage: :rage: :rage:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3086 on: April 06, 2016, 04:31:09 pm »
God helps us if CCBC BOLLOCKS THIS ONE UP

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3087 on: April 06, 2016, 07:06:47 pm »
Have CCBC been asked to give their reasons for the condition? That could prove interesting...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3088 on: April 07, 2016, 09:11:54 am »
This may be controversial, but the fact of the matter is that the Liverpool Arms had been in decline for sometime.  Once a delightful pub, it had become very a tatty and grubby establishment which often ran out of beer at busy periods. The George and Dragon was little better and desperately needs the refit that it's currently undergoing. The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally, and that the requirement is for well run clean pubs, not 'dives'. Let's hope that the LA re-opens with a refurbishment; it's a fantastic location with virtually a captive audience, and correctly run will undoubtedly be a very successful venture.

"The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally"

Two of those have only just opened! They don't show anything. I could open a juggling ball shop today if I wanted to, would that mean there was plenty of trade for juggling balls locally?

Come back in a year and we'll see if they are still doing well. My guess is that in the winter they will be deserted.
Where as a 'dive' as you put it, will have a steady stream of local customers all year round. Just like the Malt loaf and mail coach do  that have been open years.

The Albion is as packed as ever and has been all winter, The Bridge very busy with refurbished letting rooms and The Bank is doing well. The Liverpool Arms and George and Dragon have been refurbished, and now possibly, another 'dive' is being refurbished.

How's the Juggling Ball Shop doing?

Was doing awful so I had it refurbished and turned into a restaurant now sadly it is no longer a juggling ball shop but is doing 'well'

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3089 on: April 07, 2016, 09:50:33 am »

From memory that part of Mostyn St. does not have a lot of pavement clutter, last year Cups and Cakes had a few tables out on that side, I prefer the open pavement,(unlike the lower end) but understand the need for some tables outside.
Who owns the pavements?   
The business owns the section of pavement under the canopy, whilst CCBC owns the 'open' area of pavement at the roadside.