Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1029486 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2505 on: December 21, 2014, 11:28:59 pm »
Wrex, we have been twice now to St Tudno Hotel, for the early evening £20 menu.... it's superb to be honest.
Fine dining in every respect.

However, we have been to Watson's Bistro in Conwy tonight,  for the THIRD time in 10 days..... it was absolutely superb as always, and it rightly deserves it's No 1 rating on Trip Advisor.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Mr Tunnock

Tips
« Reply #2506 on: January 11, 2015, 08:46:44 am »
What is the general consensus of opinion on leaving a gratuity in a café of restaurant, I generally have always left in the region of 10%.
However these days with rising prices and the minimum wage I am beginning to wonder if there is any longer any point unless I have received excellent service as opposed to a standard service. 
I also prefer to leave the gratuity in cash and not adding it on to a debit card transaction.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Tips
« Reply #2507 on: January 11, 2015, 11:11:39 am »
I generally tip around the 10% mark and carry cash for the tip as some places will not include the tip in the card transaction.   The staff are probably on a minimum wage so they would appreciate any tips you give.   Again though, it depends on the service you receive, if you are not satisfied with the service then why would you tip any one.  Again if the service is excellent then you can be more generous than normal.
It's up to the individual on how much they tip or can afford to tip but any amount would be gratefully received by the person receiving the tip.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2508 on: January 11, 2015, 03:12:09 pm »
10% is around my average, but it depends on the type of business I am in.

For example, I leave a tip in places like Kava, as it is a stand alone business,  but never think to tip in Caffe Nero for example, as they are an international chain.   (Poor staff still on minimum wage though)

There are some (local) establishments which are renowned for NOT passing the tips on to staff, but keeping them for the owner instead.   I never tip in those places.  (The Groes Inn is an example)
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2509 on: January 12, 2015, 09:15:13 am »
I tip purely on the basis of whether I receive good service or not.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2510 on: January 12, 2015, 10:09:19 am »
Yes, me too and usually work out 10% as this is easier to calculate for my poor non mathematical brain.
However I always remember having breakfast in New York with a work colleague. We got up to leave and before we got to the door we were stopped by the waitress and asked to pay the 14% service charge.
Not keen on the places that add an "optional" service charge automatically because then you would have to explain why you felt you shouldn't pay it!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2511 on: January 12, 2015, 10:12:14 am »
before we got to the door we were stopped by the waitress and asked to pay the 14% service charge.

Typical New York, where good service is measured by the number of pieces your plate is in when dumped on your table :-)) Seriously, New York offers the widest range of service I know of.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mull

« Reply #2512 on: January 12, 2015, 09:54:11 pm »
Has anyone seen a reason for a "Service Charge".

Whenever I have seen it on the menu I have got up and walked out.

I do not mind tipping at 10+% for good service but refuse to pay for the what should be part of the service.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2513 on: January 13, 2015, 07:22:54 am »
I thought I knew the answer to that one, so I checked (to make sure) and was rather surprised by what I found...

Cash tips are paid to individual employees, while credit card tips are paid to the restaurant. When it comes to the “service charge”, the situation remains opaque. That money is classed as part of the eatery’s income, to be used as the restaurateur sees fit. According to the British Hospitality Association, there is no legal requirement for it to pass on any of the service charge, in full or part, to the waiting staff.

What’s more, the service charge delivers a double blow, as while many employees do not benefit from it directly, its presence on a restaurant bill puts off many diners from leaving a cash tip on top (many simply think it is the same as a tip)

Fairly recently, Andrew Percy, the Conservative MP for Brigg and Goole, has called for a change in the law that would allow restaurant staff to determine how tips are shared. The current situation is a mess, with different 'rules' being applied by different places.

According to the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), which drew up the voluntary code on tips, diners are often confused by the distinction between service charges, tips, gratuities and cover charges. A service charge, according to the code, is an amount added to your bill before it is given to you and is almost always based on a percentage of the bill. If it is “discretionary” or “suggested” you are free to make the payment or not.
Advertisement

A tip, or gratuity, on the other hand is a voluntary payment given over and above the amount of the bill (and, believe it or not, any service charge) as a “personal reward” from you to waiting staff.

If you want to ensure your tip or service charge actually reaches the waiters, you need to pay any 'service charge' in cash, 

In theory, one of two things will then happen: either your server will pocket the money directly or, if there is a pooled-tips system in place, such gratuities should (so that they’re not liable for national insurance deductions) be collected and distributed by the “troncmaster”, a nominated non-management employee. Therefore, management should not be able to intervene to levy any “administration charge”.

So no easy answers, other than possibly to tip the actual waiter in cash.

Quotes from the Guardian and Andrew Percy MP

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2514 on: January 13, 2015, 02:42:29 pm »
I found that very interesting Ian because if you include the tip in with your card payment then it will appear as an income and the staff may not receive the intended money.
Some businesses have a Troncmaster who will see to tips and service charges and they distribute the money designated for the staff.
NIM02942 – Tips, gratuities and service charges: Tronc arrangements:

However when I have been abroad on holidays I've seen tips given to the Head Waiter to distribute amongst the staff but from experience I'm slightly cynical and make sure that I give the money personally to each individual and then I know that my tips have reached the person that it's intended for.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2515 on: January 13, 2015, 02:43:17 pm »
Has anyone seen a reason for a "Service Charge".

Whenever I have seen it on the menu I have got up and walked out.

I do not mind tipping at 10+% for good service but refuse to pay for the what should be part of the service.

Mull, I can imagine you must be a real joy to go out for a meal with!  :laugh:
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2516 on: January 14, 2015, 10:11:22 am »
The former Badgers cafe in the Victoria Centre will be reopening as 'Love To Eat'.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2517 on: January 14, 2015, 10:39:48 am »
Love to eat badgers? An unusual name!  L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #2518 on: January 14, 2015, 10:51:01 am »
Love to eat badgers? An unusual name!  L0L

Wonder if they will have a sett menu ?

Offline Merddin Emrys