Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1029840 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2011, 04:19:37 pm »
Dominos Pizza are intending to open a branch in Llandudno and are actively looking for premises.

Grrrrrrr8 News. Though not for the belly!!! Will have to hit the gym twice as hard when that happens

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2011, 10:35:32 pm »
 WWW Well there are plenty of premises too choose from. D)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2011, 12:55:19 am »
I don't care where it is... because they deliver!

The Domino's New York BBQ Steak pizza will be coming to my house !! $dins$

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Paddy

« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2011, 03:15:10 am »
The Alex on Clonmel St. was open tonight as a Restaurant/Hotel. I didn't see anyone in there but good luck to them. I'm sure I'll give it a try soon.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2011, 09:16:56 am »
 :) Yes Paddy its good luck too the Alex;s it was a good venue when a Mr Bradlry had it many years ago.Unfortunatly i think its the first of a few pubs we are going too lose,i really have no idea how its taken this long to lose our first pub,there is no way they can keep going with the amount of people who have turned their back on Pubs.I have been in a pub on a saturday nite with a band playing ,door men and a handfull of punters,i have no idea how they make it pay besides doing food during the day. :-X

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2011, 03:41:15 pm »
I've just been to the Glass Lounge in Colwyn Bay for coffee and cake. It's in the old Speakers Corner building at the top of Penrhyn Road. Fortunately, they seem to have lost the somewhat half hearted approach to serving customers that Speakers Corner always used to have and are now much improved. It's all being decorated, new furniture, new menu. Food and drink are great and reasonably priced. Well worth a visit.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #216 on: May 22, 2011, 03:56:56 am »
:) Yes Paddy its good luck too the Alex;s it was a good venue when a Mr Bradlry had it many years ago.Unfortunatly i think its the first of a few pubs we are going too lose,i really have no idea how its taken this long to lose our first pub,there is no way they can keep going with the amount of people who have turned their back on Pubs.I have been in a pub on a saturday nite with a band playing ,door men and a handfull of punters,i have no idea how they make it pay besides doing food during the day. :-X

I remember Mr Bradley from the golf club but he'd left the Alex before I began my drinking career. He's a very nice man and we shared many a pint in the "golfie".

I think the reason pubs struggle these days is the prices they are "forced" to charge. You can pay £5 for a large vodka in a pub or you can buy the bottle (14 large ones) for less than £9 in Asda. It's a "no brainer" for the punters. Share a bottle at home and go out later.

Having said that, it's interesting that the pubs that do seem to do well are not necessarily the cheapest so maybe price is not the only consideration.

Over to you guys!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: May 22, 2011, 08:56:59 am »
Having said that, it's interesting that the pubs that do seem to do well are not necessarily the cheapest so maybe price is not the only consideration.
Some good points, Paddy. Key phrase is 'seem to do well' - appearances can be deceptive!  It would be unfair to name any business but I know one seemingly busy bar in Llandudno that is struggling and one never busy bar that seems to cling on.

Who's going to do the Taste Test in the Alex?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2011, 11:36:03 am »
 ;) I nominate Yorkie ZXZ

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #219 on: May 24, 2011, 04:32:02 pm »
 ;) Heard rumours again about Wethers becoming a Yates and something happening in Fountains,any news. 8)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2011, 05:34:16 pm »
;) Heard rumours again about Wethers becoming a Yates and something happening in Fountains,any news. 8)
Wetherspoons is a different chain to Yates, there is no way they would sell such a busy pub.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2011, 05:49:11 pm »
There has been talk of the Carlton changing over to Yates.  How true it is I don't know?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2011, 06:07:28 pm »
The Carlton is owned by Mitchells & Butlers Leisure Retail Limited, how willing they would be to sell to Yates, I don't know? The Carlton always reminds me of the pub in Newcastle that Michael Caine walked into in Get Carter... Great location but I don't think they're making the most of it, by any means.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2011, 06:15:30 pm »
The owners of Aberhod Old Hall Restaurant in Rhos On Sea are seeking Planning permission to convert into into 4 apartments and build 2 new houses in the grounds:

Aberhod Old Hall Cayley Promenade Rhos On Sea Colwyn Bay Conwy LL28 4EP
Proposal: "Proposed demolition of extensions to existing building and conversion and extension of
existing building into 4 no. dwellings and erection of 2 no. dwellings, improvements to
access and associated works"

I'm not too thrilled about this, Aberhod is one of the oldest buildings in Rhos and this sounds like over development to me, not to mention the loss of a business.

Aberhod by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2011, 12:43:59 pm »
I agree. Of course it is public knowledge that the catering side had a nasty jolt after the public health inspectors called. News like that can see off years of having a good reputation.