Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 642852 times)

Offline Jack

Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1095 on: July 13, 2015, 05:45:56 pm »
Yes, on their boundary on the estuary path - 10 metres or so from the car park at the bottom of the slip road.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1096 on: July 25, 2015, 12:36:50 pm »
THOUSANDS of pounds have been allocated to a Conwy project to boost tourism in the region.

The Welsh Government announced that Destination Conwy will receive £50,000 from the Regional Tourism Engagement Fund, to deliver a series of activities including an integrated marketing campaign.

It will also be used to develop the Conwy Card, which can be used by residents to obtain up to 20 per cent discount offers at participating tourist and outdoor activity attractions.

Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism, Ken Skates, said: “The Regional Tourism Engagement Fund allows local organisations and businesses to work through their destination management partnership to identify what is most needed by visitors to their area and what would make their destination more appealing to visitors.
Destination Conwy will also use a portion of the money to produce a digital twinning with German destinations, to build on the Welsh Government’s Germany marketing campaign, as well as customer research in key resorts.
REFNWPioneer
“Some of our iconic, reputation changing attractions have a key role to play in Year of Adventure 2016, but just as important will the events, attractions, experiences and initiatives which will create a buzz across Wales and give even more reasons for people to have an adventure in Wales during 2016.”

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1097 on: August 05, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »
http://northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/151099/fright-night-at-former-conwy-chapel.aspx

Thoughts?

For or against?

PLANS to screen ghoulish films in a former place of worship have made the blood of ex-parishioners run cold.

TAPE - a community arts and media charity in Old Colwyn - caused upset among ex-congregation members when it revealed its plans to use Capel Tabernacle in Conwy (pictured) as a venue for horror films during a three day film festival in November.

In an announcement about the Coastline Film Festival on TAPE's facebook, the organisation promised to create a Chapel of Horror between November 13 and 15 as part of its aim to create an “exceptionally eerie venue” and “screen the finest horror movies with the chilling backdrop of the original chapel”.

Thomas Wyn Smart, aged 87, who attended the chapel for more than 50 years until its closure three years ago, said: “I don’t like the idea of screening any films at the chapel, regardless of the genre.

“If they want to show films they should change it to a cinema. I don’t want it there.”

Chris Roberts, former organist at the chapel, added: “I am saddened that they would see the chapel as somewhere spooky. I have a lot of happy memories there.”

A spokesperson for TAPE said that the group were “mindful” of the heritage of the chapel and had chosen five films accordingly.

They said: “Whilst we are not ready to reveal the programme yet, one is a children’s film, one is a 1960s classic american social commentary on race and cold war politics and one is a classic 1930s silent movie which will be screened with a live soundtrack on the chapel’s organ, which is currently unused.

“There are no slasher films, we are not showing the Exorcist or The Omen or anything which could offend the community.”

A member of St John’s Methodist Church who wished to remain anonymous commented: “It’s really good to get people to churches and how you do that can be interesting - what a brilliant way to start some conversations around things like life after death which horror films often touch on.”

Colin Le Boutillier (pictured inset) and his wife Monica - proprietors of Gwynfryn bed and breakfast and owners Tabernacl chapel, are directors of a community interest company which leases the building for a long term community development project, including the refurbishment of the chapel.

Mr Le Boutillier said: “I think the venue is suitable to the festival. I can understand why they think horror would work because it’s an old property and it had a lot of the original features in.”

For updates, follow TAPE Community Music and Film on facebook or visithttp://tapemusicandfilm.co.uk

Offline Jonty Hammers

« Reply #1098 on: August 05, 2015, 08:22:02 pm »
Have to say I'm all for it. I can understand the response from former chapel-goers, but the building is no longer put to religious use and is now in, for want of a better word, secular hands. I imagine it must be heartbreaking to men like the chap quoted who attended it, but with the greatest of respect, it is simply no longer a chapel.

Moreover, as TAPE say, this isn't going to be anything in extraordinarily bad taste (given the description, I'm guessing it'll be Phantom of the Opera - one of the last silent Universal horrors before Todd Browning's Dracula came along, plus any screening of Phantom would be highly aided by use of an organ). A "horror" movie, yes - but comparatively tame and nothing like the modern slasher or "demon child" flicks of the 70s, which the organisers have been clever enough to stay away from.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1099 on: August 06, 2015, 07:09:35 am »
It sounds to me as though the Pioneer have been casting about for a newsworthy item. Given all the chapels that have been converted to private homes it's not unreasonable to expect one to be used as a part-time cinema. And it's only bringing the wheel full circle; the i61 Church actually meets in a working cinema.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1100 on: August 06, 2015, 08:38:46 am »
We splashed on the horror movies in chapel story on Tuesday I think - but I'm a big fan of the Pioneer's intro.

I didn't write the story for the Post so can't really comment further than that.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1101 on: August 06, 2015, 12:35:09 pm »
It sounds to me as though the Pioneer have been casting about for a newsworthy item. Given all the chapels that have been converted to private homes it's not unreasonable to expect one to be used as a part-time cinema. And it's only bringing the wheel full circle; the i61 Church actually meets in a working cinema.

Don't forget Bonkers! That place is a 'horror' to my ears!!!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1102 on: August 10, 2015, 11:17:20 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-33551689

I knew there was potential for my juggling shop

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1103 on: August 10, 2015, 11:18:02 am »
Getting a new job is no laughing matter unless you are willing to make a fool of yourself in Conwy.
That is exactly what Erwyd le Fol (aka Russell Erwood) has agreed to do by becoming the town's first jester-in-residence since the 13th Century.
The 34-year-old will have a naming ceremony on 2 August before starting his jester japes.
Paid for by the town's chamber of trade, he will attend functions wearing a hat with donkey ears.
He will be performing at a number of official functions in the area such as its local seed and honey fairs plus other civic dates.
line
Castle's first fool
Conwy Castle
The first jester arrived in the town when King Edward I stayed at Conwy Castle from 1294
In the winter of 1294-95, King Edward I was besieged by the Welsh at Conwy, forcing him to stay within the castle's walls in the town
Edward's personal jester, Tom le Fol, stayed at the castle throughout the three-month siege, entertaining all who lived there
720 years later, Conwy appoints a new jester-in-residence, Erwyd le Fol
line
Mr le Fol, who moved to Conwy from London in October, said: "If there's a town in the world that should have a jester it's Conwy.
"There's a castle, there's walls, there's even a knight shop selling armour, so it's only right there is a jester.
"The locals and the tourists love it and I love it. The reaction has been amazing.
"Being a fool is great. I'm taking my job seriously, well as serious as a jester can.
"My life is making people smile and it's amazing I get to do it every day."

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1104 on: August 10, 2015, 12:19:15 pm »
I thought Conwy already had a very well paid Jester?

In the form of the Chief Exec of CCBC?    I think he's hilarious.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #1105 on: August 10, 2015, 10:26:02 pm »
Sitting in my living room in Conwy I thought a fight had broken out in the Mail Coach, shouting and bawling carried on for a while so I went down the street to look,  found the jester!  not all locals want to hear this oaf bawling.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1106 on: August 11, 2015, 05:38:08 pm »
Now you know how I feel about The Monkey Man!! 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1107 on: August 11, 2015, 06:51:08 pm »
Perhaps we could send them both to a parallel universe where they would live happily ever after.....

........or Rhyl.......
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1108 on: August 14, 2015, 12:31:29 pm »

Offline llewelyn

Conwy Cash machines
« Reply #1109 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:54 am »
A friend of mine visiting from Canada wanted to use her Visa Card the two available cash machines wouldnt take foreign cards, so off we went to the NATWEST they said they were not linked to the ATM so she would have to go to Llandudno or Colwyn Bay. I didnt believe this so rang NATWEST they said it was true so all our visitors from abroad cant get cash in Conwy, what the hell is wrong with this place.