Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625918 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1050 on: October 29, 2014, 02:32:04 pm »
The spelling is a little strange on the web page !

The Doors | People Are Strange (Official Video)

Hands down the best Halloween song ever

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1051 on: October 29, 2014, 02:41:22 pm »

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #1052 on: October 29, 2014, 10:58:48 pm »
Looking through an old box of memorabilia and I came across this commemorative coin of the 700th Charter Anniversary of Conwy. I think it was given to me as a pupil of Ysgol Aberconwy - 30 years ago now!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1053 on: November 12, 2014, 10:11:49 am »
40 job restaurant next to Conwy castle backed by planners

A £1m restaurant that would create 40 jobs in the shadow of Conwy castle is tipped to get the go-ahead after being backed by planners and heritage body Cadw.

York Design and Construction, which also undertook the Dylan’s restaurant project in Menai Bridge, wants to build a two storey eaterie on the former Billington’s garage site that has been an eyesore for years.
The restaurant would seat 220 diners and create 20 full time and 20 part time jobs.
It would also help support producers in the area with the firm committed to sourcing local suppliers.

The application was initially deferred by the planning committee in September after it was recommended for refusal by planners concerned at the impact on the castle.
Rhys Davies, from agent Cadnant Planning, speaking on behalf of the applicant, said: “We are pleased that the changes made to the scheme and the production of additional visualisations have resolved all the previous concerns and that all key parties including CADW, Conwy Town Council, the Conservation Officer and the Planning and Highways Officers are now happy to support the proposal.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/40-job-restaurant-next-conwy-8091290

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1054 on: November 12, 2014, 03:08:34 pm »
Ref.  Tom Davidson NWWN

CONWY: The application for the restaurant is the first item discussed. Gwynedd Archeological planning service recommend a watching brief condition on approval. Cllr Goronwy Edwards said tThe designs are sympathetic to the application. "To see the site in its derelict state is a shame," he said. Cllr Goronwy Edwards proposed recommendation, with pedestrian barriers and building material conditions, and the proposal is passed.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1055 on: November 17, 2014, 06:05:09 pm »
New permanent camp in Conwy for gypsies and travellers
A plan to set-up a permanent site for gypsies and travellers has sparked an outcry from local business.
Many are worried about security and litter from the camp which would be located yards from an industrial estate off Bangor Road in Conwy.

Conwy Council is legally obliged to provide encampments for the travelling community.
The search to find suitable sites has been made even more urgent after travellers camped illegally at three locations across the county
Conwy councillors will be told by officers at a meeting on Thursday that the Bangor Road layby is the best option.

A council report to the communities overview and scrutiny committee said: “The need for a site (residential or temporary) has been exacerbated recently as a result of the gypsy and traveller unlawful encampment activity (at) Tir Llwyd industrial estate, Betws yn Rhos, Mochdre commerce park and Betws y Coed.”
The report states that unlawful encampments are more common in summer but they are expected to continue “unless a temporary/permanent site is provided now in anticipation of a full permanent site”.

Conwy had to find £20,000 for legal and clean up costs for the Tir Llwyd temporary camp.
Officers recommend that councillors vote to turn the site in Bangor Road, Conwy into a permanent residential location.
More....http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/new-permanent-camp-conwy-gypsies-8124275

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1056 on: November 18, 2014, 10:41:42 am »
Ref.  Tom Davidson NWWN

CONWY: The application for the restaurant is the first item discussed. Gwynedd Archeological planning service recommend a watching brief condition on approval. Cllr Goronwy Edwards said tThe designs are sympathetic to the application. "To see the site in its derelict state is a shame," he said. Cllr Goronwy Edwards proposed recommendation, with pedestrian barriers and building material conditions, and the proposal is passed.
It will be interesting to see what happens when the site floods as it did last winter.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1057 on: November 19, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »
Wellies? :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1058 on: December 12, 2014, 09:15:22 am »
I see a Planning Application has gone in for new signage at the former Municipal Building in Castle Street, is this the long heralded arrival of Costa Coffee in Conwy?

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1059 on: December 12, 2014, 12:35:59 pm »
I've seen a similar application more than a couple of times I think DaveR, so I wouldn't hold your breath... It could happen though.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1060 on: December 17, 2014, 10:22:35 pm »
Mrs FA paid a visit to the docs in Conwy today and has reported back that there's now a branch of Costa Coffee next to the NatWest bank.  It's not quite ready to open but not far off.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1061 on: December 17, 2014, 10:28:09 pm »
Thank you, SteveH, but I went on Saturday.

Even if I went on Sunday, the 20% discount with a Conwy Card only applies to tickets pre-purchased from the Tourist Information Office in either Llandudno or Conwy and even then I would not have been allowed to use a credit or debit card to secure this valuable discount.

I guess one day I will eventually get to use this Conwy Card for the first time.

BTW, where is the Tourist Information Office in Conwy?

I know this a bit late now but we went to the Feast on the Sunday and were able to tickets from the TIC without prebooking and we were able to use a debit card to pay for them.  The only slight hiccup was that when they first opened they couldn't get the tills to work so there was a delay of about 5 minutes.  Maybe worth bearing in mind for next year.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1062 on: December 18, 2014, 08:36:41 am »
Mrs FA paid a visit to the docs in Conwy today and has reported back that there's now a branch of Costa Coffee next to the NatWest bank.  It's not quite ready to open but not far off.
Thats fast work, there was no sign of work starting last week when I passed, I had a peep through the window.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #1063 on: December 24, 2014, 08:45:51 pm »
See the ice cream parlour on the high street has had a couple of windows boarded up.
Nasty time of year to get the glass replaced, not that anytime is a good time. 
Parisella's I think it's called.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1064 on: December 25, 2014, 04:56:57 am »
 Parisellas are unfortunately well used to vandalism. They operate the cafe in the Happy Valley. Enough said.