Author Topic: Football  (Read 244175 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Football
« Reply #240 on: April 28, 2013, 11:54:21 pm »
no may go down for the Wigan / City match, Wrex has got the extravaganza that weekend has,nt he?  and fester its like Chester playing for the welsh cup we all have our crosses to bear

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2013, 08:11:03 am »
Also, the The New Saints from Oswestry in England will be representing Wales again next season in the qualifying rounds of the Uefa Champions League.  $walesflag$

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2013, 08:18:22 pm »
Berwick Rangers play in the Scottish league too

Offline Hugo

« Reply #243 on: May 02, 2013, 10:39:57 pm »
Chelsea 3    F C Basel  1

A good comeback in the second half made sure that Chelsea go through to the final of the Europa League Cup and play Benfica in the final

It was a good team display but not quite as good as when they won the Premiership with a record 95 points.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2013, 07:03:30 pm »
I was a bit surprised to hear that Sir Alex Ferguson was retiring, but at least he's gone out on the top.   I was looking at Man Utd's record in the Premiership since Sir Alex's team first won the title and it is simply incredible.  The lowest position they have been since then is 3rd and even then it was only a few times but most of the time they were the Champions.
Well done to Sir Alex and it's a record that is unlikely to be equalled again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22447018

Offline hollins

« Reply #245 on: May 17, 2013, 08:47:41 am »
Thanks Becksy, you had a great career in football. Maybe won't see the lovely legs so often now but still that smile hopefully!

:)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #246 on: May 17, 2013, 11:27:02 am »
Calm down Hollins     ;D         I thought that he'd given up football years ago.     :o

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #247 on: May 18, 2013, 08:05:49 pm »
is that Fergie on the TV camera in the first shot

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #248 on: May 18, 2013, 08:11:49 pm »
Bradford City FC...... Won the Play Off final at Wembley today......... and are PROMOTED to League One!

Whooo hoo!!!     <:<:<:< _))++ :__)+ +}}{-- +}}{-- $bounce$ $bounce$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #249 on: May 18, 2013, 08:17:43 pm »
well done bratford

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2013, 11:18:12 pm »
Well done to Bala Town this evening in winning 1-0 in the home leg of their First Leg of the First Round Qualifying of the Europa League.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2013, 07:59:14 pm »
Wayne Rooney is to join Chelsea on Tuesday after wife Coleen agreed personal terms with John Terry last night and twice again this morning!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2013, 03:03:16 pm »
James Alexander Gordon, one of the most recognisable voices in British broadcasting, is to retire from his role reading the classified football results on BBC radio.

He recently had surgery to remove his larynx after being diagnosed with cancer and his voice is no longer strong enough to broadcast.

"It's with great sorrow that I have to give up the most exciting part of my career, the classified football results," said the 77-year-old Scot. "They have been my life."

Richard Burgess, head of BBC Radio Sport, described Gordon as a "broadcasting legend", while Mark Pougatch, presenter of Radio 5 live Sport, said: "Even people who don't really even like football knew who James was, even if they didn't realise it."

Gordon began reading the classified results in 1973.

His distinctive Scottish accent and unique style attracted an army of followers, including comedian Eric Morecambe.

Gordon even had a Cornwall-based fan club and still receives tens of letters every week, with a large proportion coming from members of the British Armed Forces serving their country across the world.

Born in Edinburgh in 1936, Gordon, who contracted polio when he was six months old and spent a lot of his childhood in hospital, worked in the music business before joining radio, promoting the likes of Bert Kaempfert and James Last.

In 1972, he joined the BBC, reading the news and presenting various programmes on Radio 2 - even Newsbeat on Radio 1 - before his break came reading the classified football results.

"I was terrified at first, but I put my heart and soul into it and have loved it ever since," said Gordon, who lives in Berkshire and is married to Julia, with a son, David, and grandchildren, Molly and Martha.

"Such fun getting it right. The most important thing, though, has been making it exciting for the listener. "

"I want to thank my producer of some 30 years, Audrey Adams, whose love of sport and determination to get it right has made all the difference. "

"How proud I am that I have served the very best of BBC radio sport, albeit in a small way with the classifieds, and I know that the great team will continue to present the best in radio sport coverage."

Pougatch commented: "Such was his unique style of reading the classifieds, his wonderful inflections and stresses, that even non-believers of the sport knew the result after the home team's score.

"Nobody else will be able to say 'Wolverhampton Wanderers' with quite such mellifluous tones."
Burgess added: "This is desperately sad news for everyone at BBC Sport and we know our sadness will be shared by many millions of listeners.

"For so many of us, James has been a mainstay in our lives - a reassuring and reliable presence every week.

"It's not an exaggeration to say that Saturdays at 5pm will never be the same again without the warm, melodious sound of his voice, just after the Sports Report theme on BBC Radio 5 live."

Offline Hugo

« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2013, 04:34:28 pm »
Arsenal's offer of £40,000,001 for Suarez has been turned down by Liverpool.   That's a lot of money to reject and also a big bite out of Arsenal's spending fund.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2013, 04:59:07 pm »
Arsenal's offer of £40,000,001 for Suarez has been turned down by Liverpool.   That's a lot of money to reject and also a big bite out of Arsenal's spending fund.

Arsene Wenger has stated the bid of £40m plus £1 for Suarez isn't true.
The extra £1 was in fact for Stewart Downing,
Valar Morghulis