Author Topic: Financial matters  (Read 144679 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Financial matters
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2011, 05:46:02 pm »
Not a lot for Wales then - will have to see what the Assembly do now!    ¢¢##

I seem to remember you can buy fuel, cigarettes and alcohol in Wales.  $walesflag$

Yorkie

« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2011, 06:08:29 pm »
What if you don't smoke, don't drink and ride a bike?    _))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2011, 06:52:13 pm »
Cut in Corporation Tax is good news.  $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2011, 10:27:10 pm »
The odd penny on this or off that, are purely marginal decisions.
Fundamental change is required to Public Spending (thats starting to be seen)  Taxation,  Pensions and  Job Creation, (where very little is happening)
Inflation is running away, and we are not being told the truth.

I have 4 suppliers to my business, and the average price increase I have been handed in 2011 is 13.7%
My rent has increased 58%
Then there is the VAT increase by 2.5 percentage points.

Who's kidding who?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2011, 01:41:01 pm »
Alan Sugar's speech today in the House of Lords:

My Lords,

I am grateful to the noble Lord Lawson in bringing this debate. He may recall when he was Chancellor under Baroness Thatcher that I was one of her blue-eyed boys – the young fellow from Hackney who had done well; a prime example of entrepreneurial spirit. She hauled me all over the place, displaying me as a model of what can be achieved. I was in and out of Downing Street more often than the window cleaners.

The thing is, my Lords, I and people like me are a dying breed. When I went to the bank as young man with my hand out, they thought I was part of the Morecambe and Wise team. “Do you have any collateral, a balance sheet, some history of profits?”

“No.” I replied. “Well then, clear off,” was the response.

I, like many others realised at an early age that if you want something, you have to get it yourself. My idea of government support was: you supply me hospitals, schools a police force, roads to drive on, and a good environment for me to do business in – that will do me fine – but don’t poke your nose into my business.

If we reflect back, say, 15 years, it was customary for a person – dressed in a pair of designer jeans, a nice blue blazer and a white open collar shirt, a bottle of Evian in one hand and wonderful Windows presentation in the other – to walk into a bank, mention the words “dot com” and walk out with £5m.

Well, those days are over. We know what went wrong there, and we also know what a mess the banks got into recently.

But the penny has not dropped with some people. We still have, in some cases, an expectancy culture where people still think there should be money freely available to finance lost causes or poorly run companies, or the whim of an idea.

When I was employed as an advisor to Her Majesty’s government last year, I had occasion to visit many small-to-medium-sized enterprises across the country, and I spoke to several thousand business people.

The most frequently asked question of me was, “What can the government do to help my business?”

And my reply, my Lords, was not one which was perceived as helpful. I told them, “Do not rely upon any government to assist you in running your business. You are people who have chosen to go into business – which is very enterprising, and I'm pleased about that – but do not expect to get any advice from government on what new products you should make, what ideas you should pursue, what services your business should provide, or how to market your products and generate income… because that’s what you’re supposed to do.

More recently I remind people: “Who is there in government to be able to dish out such advice? Just step back and look at them.”

Take, with the greatest of respect, the current Business Secretary. He's never been in business! He’s never run a business! He’s been an advisor or a politician all his life. He has never touched the coal face. I mean, frankly, what does he know?

It is this realism that brings me on to my next point.

The current government, in my opinion, is very good at window dressing the demise of the economy by blaming it all on the banks. It is very convenient to repeat continually the same old broken record: “It’s not our fault; it’s the banks’ fault; it’s the previous government’s fault.”

Well let’s look at this for a moment. True, the banks were irresponsible and they have been told in no uncertain terms to get their act together.

But having told the banks to get their house in order, the current government is constantly bleating that the banks aren’t being helpful in lending money to small businesses – whereas the message to the small business community should be one of realism: understanding that no-one is going to lend money to a lost cause. The traditional criteria of showing some assets, or having some historic record of profits, are things which banks are now looking at before they part with their money. They are definitely open for business; that is how they make some of their money

In my recent seminars I’ve received comments from some people along the lines of, “The bank has been outrageous; they’ve actually asked me to put up some collateral – my house for example!”

Well, I'm very sorry, but why not? Why should they take a risk on you if you're not prepared to take a risk on yourself?

In my capacity as a Business Advisor to the last government, I visited many Business Link Centres, which I understand are funded in some way through RDAs or maybe directly from government (I’m not at all clear). The cost of running these organisations was something in the region of £250m per year. To be perfectly frank, apart from meeting a nice bunch of people, there was no real business advice dished out other than simple stuff you could pick up and learn for yourself by going on the internet.

I would urge the government to redeploy money spent on these types of initiative in other directions. As an example, there are so many empty premises around the country– large factories and warehouses that can be converted and made into ‘incubator factories’. These could contain a core factory and silo workshops on the periphery. The core factory would be accessible to the individual businesses like satellites around a nucleus.

The government should come clean in their message to help small-to-medium-sized enterprises. You can not, on the one hand, tell the banks, “You’ve been naughty for being irresponsible,” and on the other hand say, “Go and be irresponsible again and help lost-cause businesses with no asset backing.”

Give SMEs the facts of life. By all means be bold, be adventurous, but be realistic. Don’t expect anybody in Whitehall to give you any hints and tips on how to do it, because basically that’s the blind leading the blind. You are the business people; you are the ones with the ideas, and you are the ones who are going to drive your businesses forward. But regrettably, like everything else in life, there are no free lunches.

All government can do is to provide a good business environment, assistance from HMRC, for example, Export Credit Guarantee if you are successful enough to find export customers; tax breaks for entrepreneurs who sell their businesses, and tax deductions for investment in R&D.

But here's the final point. In taking advantage of all these wonderful tax incentives announced in yesterday’s budget, might I just bring everybody down to earth again and say, “To benefit from them, you have to make a profit.”

And how to do that, my Lords, is something on which this government is not capable of advising.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »
I agree with most of what was said, but one most realise that there are not many Alan Sugars around, and therefore a person nervously dipping thier toe in the water to open a business needs help and advice.

I am not talking about hand-outs, I am talking about creating an environment where taxation and legislation is made simple, and lenient for those just starting out.

I have no idea what Alan Sugar is referring to when he talks about 'core factories, and satellite businesses revolving around the nucleus in abandoned factories'

Alan Sugar is an erudite, powerful and interesting man.  These days he would get sacked for bulling and harrassment.
He didn't get lucky, he is a born entrepeneur.  Others need a little more in the way of guidance though.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2011, 06:11:27 pm »
Many years ago I purchased an Amstrad Music Centre, Alan Sugars Company, The tape deck soon started chewing up the tapes and after a while the record deck kept slowing down. The engineers that came out never solved the problems. The only thing that worked was the Radio. I swore then that I would never buy anything from him again. He's just an upmarket 'Barrer Boy'.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Yorkie

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2011, 06:26:59 pm »
Ah - a very rich Barra' Boy! $thanx$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2011, 07:36:02 am »
He's mainly right, but it's only half the story. It wasn't simply unwise lending that caused the current problems: it was fraud, perpetrated on a massive scale and almost exclusively in the US.  This is what people are missing: a small number of incredibly wealthy people played a system that was insufficiently regulated and made billions for themselves, ruined millions of lives and caused a world-wide financial meltdown.

Really, the writing was on the wall when a single individual was credited with bringing about the demise of Barings Bank.  Perhaps if a few more searching questions had been asked then, things might not have become so out of control.  But no;  the city - in its collective but ultimately fossilised wisdom - ascribed the whole mess to one man's naughtiness.  Not one of them suggested that perhaps it wasn't a unique instance, and that perhaps - just perhaps - the whole system needed much, much closer supervision and examination.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2011, 11:01:09 am »
Interesting piece in the Economist this week about the housing situation in Las Vegas, once America's fastest growing city.

Across the city as a whole, 1 in 10 houses are being foreclosed (repossessed) and, in some areas, the figure is 1 in 5. Property prices have fallen 60% from their 2006 high, with 70% of home-owners being in negative equity.

I still think property in the UK has a lot further to fall.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2011, 12:12:11 pm »
250,000 people are expected to march in London today to complain against all the government cuts.  Anarchists are expected to try and disrupt it.  The fountains in Trafalgar Square have been turned off and barriers everywhere.  I came home early afraid of being kettled!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2011, 06:20:33 pm »
I bet the Guardian were horrified by the results of this Poll they commissioned on whether people supported the Govt's cuts agenda. No doubt hoping for a damning indictment of the Coalition's policies by the electorate, the results actually showed that 57% of people either supported the current policies or wanted the cuts to go further!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/mar/25/voters-cuts-coalition-poll

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2011, 07:46:46 am »
I bet the Guardian were horrified by the results of this Poll they commissioned on whether people supported the Govt's cuts agenda. No doubt hoping for a damning indictment of the Coalition's policies by the electorate,

I doubt it.  I would argue that the Guardian is one of the two only really trustworthy and objective papers around (the Observer being the other), and has a solid reputation for being fairly unbiased in its reporting. The Indie is pretty reasonable, too, but BOT;  the polls simply reveal how the GBP (Great British Public) has been convinced by the (often highly simplistic) arguments with regard to public expenditure. It also didn't hurt that several banks nearly went to the wall, and had to be bailed out, thus leaving the public purse somewhat threadbare, facts which clearly showed events to be beyond the ken of government.

It's tempting to ask what the alternatives were, however. Should the banks have been allowed to fail? Should the financial future of the UK be so closely tied to the activities of a comparatively small number of extremely highly paid and almost unregulated youngsters?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2011, 08:09:28 am »
I think they were horrified as the accompanying article went to great lengths to find something, anything in the poll results to make the Govt look bad....  :P

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2011, 08:25:29 am »
I think they were horrified as the accompanying article went to great lengths to find something, anything in the poll results to make the Govt look bad....

Well, they didn't have to look too far then, did they?   _))*

To be fair, I think it's a pretty even interpretation of an objective poll finding, which tells it how it was on the days the poll was taken.  And the GBP are notoriously fickle, as you know. And had they wanted a different outcome, they'd simply have structured the questions differently:

"Sir Humphrey: "You know what happens: nice young lady comes up to you. Obviously you want to create a good impression, you don't want to look a fool, do you? So she starts asking you some questions: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the number of young people without jobs?"
Bernard: "Yes"
Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the rise in crime among teenagers?"
Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a lack of discipline in our Comprehensive schools?"
Bernard : "Yes"
Sir Humphrey: "Do you think young people welcome some authority and leadership in their lives?"
Sir Humphrey: "Do you think they respond to a challenge?"
Sir Humphrey: "Would you be in favour of reintroducing National Service?"
Bernard : "Oh...well, I suppose I might be."
Sir Humphrey: "Yes or no?"
Sir Humphrey: "Of course you would, Bernard. After all you told you can't say no to that. So they don't mention the first five questions and they publish the last one."
Bernard : "Is that really what they do?"
Sir Humphrey: "Well, not the reputable ones no, but there aren't many of those. So alternatively the young lady can get the opposite result."
Bernard : "How?"
Sir Humphrey: "Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the danger of war?"
Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the growth of armaments?"
Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?"
Sir Humphrey: "Do you think it is wrong to force people to take up arms against their will?"
Sir Humphrey: "Would you oppose the reintroduction of National Service?"
Sir Humphrey: "There you are, you see Bernard. The perfect balanced sample."