Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 242041 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #780 on: December 13, 2023, 10:16:09 am »
Warning Christmas shoppers may lose ?100m in scams

Almost ?100m is forecast to be stolen from thousands of victims this Christmas, High Street banks warn.

Trade body UK Finance, together with Trading Standards, say people need to be on their guard over the festive period.

And scams generated by artificial intelligence (AI) are "enhancing the threat", according to intelligence agency GCHQ.

It says 25 to 34-year-olds are most likely to fall victim.

The National Cyber Security Centre, which is part of GCHQ, is warning that cyber-criminals are using AI to produce more convincing scam emails, fake adverts and websites.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67616952

Offline Dave

« Reply #781 on: December 13, 2023, 05:47:45 pm »
Always check the email address of the sender and you can soon see it's a scam.
What worries me is that days after I received a mail from the real TV licence people telling me my direct debit has been renewed for another year automatically I get a scam mail telling me my direct debit hasn't gone through and I need to click on the link and set it up again.
How do they know ? The TV licensing website has obviously been hacked or the details sold to get my email address and the knowledge I pay by direct debit and when it's due for renewal.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #782 on: December 14, 2023, 09:21:49 am »
FRAUD ALERT - RHYBUDD TWYLL

Attached is the most recent fraud alert for December........https://members.northwalescommunityalert.co.uk/AlertMessage/Attachment/A31FEDC5CC670DACFD34C5BF5837963B

Message Sent By
DC 2675 Rachel Roberts
(North Wales Police, Financial Abuse Safeguarding Officer, North Wales )

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #783 on: December 14, 2023, 12:08:05 pm »
I had a phone call a few minutes ago but couldn't get to the phone in time to answer it and no message was left.
I am expecting a very important phone call today so I dialled 1471 then 3 but the line was engaged.   I then pressed ring back but the message said that this line doesn't accept ringbacks
Anyway I put the phone number in Google 03330230139 and found out that it was a scam and the information below came up.    It seems that the scammers are at it all year round       :(

Caller Activity Statistics
User reputation: Negative
Number of searches:18,095 🔥
Number of comments:121
First detection:5 years agoCalls started:
5 years ago
Last checked:a few seconds ago

Offline SteveH

« Reply #784 on: December 20, 2023, 09:44:56 am »
Seven Facebook Marketplace scams to watch out for and how to protect yourself
Including how to avoid and report fraud on the social media site

As the holiday shopping frenzy ensues, many of us turn to online platforms for easy and swift Christmas shopping. Nevertheless, it's essential to proceed with caution, particularly when navigating well-known platforms like Facebook Marketplace.

Recent data from Nationwide Building Society highlights a concerning trend, with banks facing 400 cases of online purchase fraud daily, totaling 77,000 cases in the first half of 2023. On average, consumers are losing ?500 per online fraud case, making it more important than ever to be vigilant during the festive season.

Facebook Marketplace emerged as a hotspot for online purchase scams, with a staggering 77% of such scams originating from the platform. This alarming statistic translates to 10,356,500 Facebook Marketplace users falling victim to scams while making purchases on the site.

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/facebook-marketplace-users-lose-avg-500-on-scams-expert-shares-how-to-avoid-7-costly-mistakes-this-xmas/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #785 on: January 15, 2024, 10:31:36 am »
Action Fraud, the national reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime, has recently published new data showing that in the last financial year, it received 6,457 reports of holiday fraud, amounting to over ?15m lost.

He said: ?Many of us will be looking to get away to have a break during this new year and these days more than ever we have to be on the lookout for holiday offers which could be a scam.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24048647.sam-rowlands-ms-warns-north-wales-residents-holiday-scams/

Offline SteveH

Re: Consumer news and scams.......... Holidaymakers over 'great deals' scams
« Reply #786 on: February 02, 2024, 09:12:33 am »
Eight urgent tips for North Wales holidaymakers over 'great deals' scams
North Wales Police is warning that booking an online summer holiday can quickly become a 'nightmare'

January and February are peak months for booking summer holidays and the fraudsters know it. So police chiefs and officers are warning that anyone planning a getaway will need to be on their guard against scammers if booking online.

According to Action Fraud, 6,457 UK holidaymakers were scammed in the year to March, 2023, resulting in losses of ?15.3m. In light of these figures, the North Wales Police (NWP) Cybercrime Team has warned: ?Don?t let your dream holiday become a nightmare.?

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/eight-urgent-tips-north-wales-28550244

Offline SteveH

« Reply #787 on: February 07, 2024, 09:50:56 am »
A phone upgrade scam is on the rise in North Wales, police have said. A woman recently received a police caution for playing a part in the fraud and North Wales Police (NWP) have warned they will crack down on others who get involved.

Victims are being contacted by someone claiming to be from their mobile phone company, offering a good deal for a phone upgrade. When the new phone is delivered, they are contacted again and told there has been a mistake and the phone must be returned.

Once posted back, the scammer will access the victim?s mobile phone account and order a new phone on their contract. They never see the phone again but they are left paying the contract

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/woman-identified-phone-upgrade-scam-28581910?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #788 on: February 09, 2024, 10:02:39 am »
Cold callers knocking on your door can be a nuisance, especially if you don't want to waste your time trying to politely ask them to leave.

If you have been stuck with this issue persistently it might be helpful to know some of the best steps to deterring them.

It could be especially pertinent to know, as some cold callers may try to deceive individuals into providing personal information, such as bank details.

Security experts at ADT have put together a useful guide about the dangers of cold callers as well as what to do if someone knocks on your door that you do not recognise.

6 ways to deter cold callers from your home
Don?t Feel Obligated To Answer
You are not obligated to open the door to someone you don't know or feel comfortable with. It's okay to ignore the knock or speak through the door without opening it.

Use a Peephole or Window
If you have a peephole or window near your door, use it to discreetly check who is outside before opening the door.

Avoid opening the door if you're unsure of the visitor's identity. If you wish to have an extra layer of security, it could be worth installing a CCTV system or outdoor camera with two-way audio.

Communicate Through The Door
If you decide to speak to the person, do so through the closed door. Ask who they are and what they want without unlocking or opening the door.

Alternatively, you can install a wireless video doorbell, or an outdoor camera with two-way audio allowing you to identify and speak to whoever approaches your door from the inside of your home either through your smartphone or via the alarm panel itself.

"A video doorbell can also act as a deterrent as it will capture recorded footage and audio of the conversation being had at your door, with all fraudsters wanting to go undetected with no evidence to incriminate them.

Request Identification
If the visitor claims to represent a company or organisation, ask for identification or a badge through the door. Legitimate representatives should have identification and be willing to show it.

Set Up or Join a Neighbourhood Watch
If you're suspicious or uneasy about cold callers visiting your property, consider speaking to neighbours and informing them about how you feel.

They can either assist you or keep an eye out for any unusual activity. Visit the Neighbourhood Watch website and see if there is a local scheme near you.

Put Up a ?No Cold Callers? Sign
This signage is intended to discourage unwanted visitors, and disregarding it counts as a criminal offence.

While the police may not intervene in every instance of this sign being ignored, the gathered information can aid in targeting such sellers and deterring criminal activities.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #789 on: February 11, 2024, 09:32:13 am »
Urgent scam warning issued after latest DWP cost of living payment
The final cost of living payment came out earlier this week - but people have been warned to be careful

An urgent scam warning has been issued to everyone receiving cost of living payments. The support payments are issued by the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) and are made in three instalments - ?301, ?300 and ?299.

The non-taxable payments are aimed at people already receiving support such as Universal Credit to help them through the cost of living crisis. People do not apply for the money - it is organised automatically depending on what benefits you receive and the money is paid automatically into your bank account.

Payments of the final ?299 sum started on Tuesday (February 6), although there are reports that many are still waiting for the money to land. With this in mind, people are being told to keep their eyes open for a scam which ties in with the date of the final payment.

Speaking to BBC Morning Live, cost of living expert Colletta Smith said: "The final cost of living payment began on Tuesday, so loads of people watching may well have received their final payments already. It is ?299 and it gets paid straight into your bank account, so there is a scam warning here to say if you get an email or a text saying ?click on this to apply for your cost of living payments? do not click on it. You can?t do that, you can?t apply. You are either eligible or not and it will appear automatically.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/urgent-scam-warning-issued-after-28601018

Offline SteveH

« Reply #790 on: February 13, 2024, 10:06:37 am »
Not in the area yet...........

POLICE are urging residents to be vigilant after a man was seen knocking on doors asking to buy gold.

North Wales Police issued a community alert this weekend to say a cold caller was in the area of Bron Haul in Trelawnyd on February 2.

A spokesperson said: "A male was seen in the area knocking on doors and asking to buy gold, targeting elderly residents.

"The description of the male is aged around 30 ? 40 years old, 5ft9 tall with dark hair.

"If the male is seen in the area please contact 101.

It involves people, who say they have recently been released from prison, attempting to sell items of rucksacks.

Trading Standards said in some cases they have become aggressive, and urged people to be vigilant.

A spokesperson said: "The men have been very inquisitive as to the where the biggest houses are and where is the richest area. Again, please understand that these sellers are professional criminals and the best way to stay safe is not engaging with them.

"If you?re visited by Nottingham knockers, please report to North Wales Police as soon as you can by calling 101 to give the police the best chance to attend your area and apprehend the individuals. Please try and record any details, including vehicle registration."

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/24113989.flintshire-people-warned-man-asking-buy-gold/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

« Reply #791 on: April 12, 2024, 02:11:05 pm »
I have just received an automated telephone call stating that over 600.00 pounds has been deducted from my bank account and that they were concerned because I hadn't used that type of transaction before.    The voice went on to say " press button 1" and at that point I hung up.

I then dialled 1471 and the last call number was 01492 586841 so I put that phone number into Google but nothing appeared

It must be a scam but Mrs H is out shopping today and I'm starting to worry!      ;)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #792 on: April 12, 2024, 02:29:27 pm »
I think I saw Mrs H in the Bay earlier............................ 8)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #793 on: April 12, 2024, 04:57:47 pm »
I had a similar call this week Hugo & mentioned it under the Topic The Fraud Epidemic on the Forum. I was a bit concerned as it was a local number & I couldn't find any other comment when Googling the number. I had another call this morning from 07826200264 with the same message so obviously a scam.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #794 on: April 12, 2024, 10:59:03 pm »
They are a nuisance Meleri and I'm pleased that we didn't fall for the scam.      Mrs H arrived back from shopping in our old banger so that was a relief too.      ;D