Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664199 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7155 on: August 08, 2016, 03:27:00 pm »
The Albion is alright if you don't mind being in the solemn company of every dog owner and iPad owner in Conwy county.
It's very much one for the pseudo-intellectual, dog lover and real ale enthusiast.
Other than those folk, it's rubbish.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7156 on: August 09, 2016, 07:28:05 am »
I still think there's a a gap in the market in Llandudno for a non-poncey pub that serves decent beer, doesn't fanny on with food and has two or three screens for sport...
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7157 on: August 09, 2016, 12:47:42 pm »
Great Orme Brewery is the best place to drink in Llandudno now.  $good$

The Albion is overrated - Fester has a point - It's ok for a quiet (very quiet) drink early on but I can't even begin to imagine how dull it is after 9pm.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7158 on: August 09, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »
It's ok for a quiet (very quiet) drink early on but I can't even begin to imagine how dull it is after 9pm.

Not sure what you are looking for in a pub. Personally good beer and an opportunity to speak and be heard isn't a bad thing. Although I haven't been that often The Albion ticks those boxes for me and it was very busy well past 9pm every time Iv'e been.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7159 on: August 09, 2016, 12:56:24 pm »
I still think there's a a gap in the market in Llandudno for a non-poncey pub that serves decent beer, doesn't fanny on with food and has two or three screens for sport...
Agreed. Scratching my head wondering where to watch the match nowadays. I think food is an essential ingredient for many pubs but eating and watching sport doesn't go hand in hand.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7160 on: August 09, 2016, 01:52:31 pm »
It's ok for a quiet (very quiet) drink early on but I can't even begin to imagine how dull it is after 9pm.

Not sure what you are looking for in a pub.

Entertainment, Sport, anyone else in the building under the age of 55. None of which the Albion has  ZXZ.
Don't get me wrong I think it's a good enough place in itself, I've enjoyed many a fine porter there i just don't think it should be held up like it does in the DP article as a template for what all pubs should be aspiring to, like it's some kind of Lord's prayer of the pub world.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7161 on: August 09, 2016, 02:24:25 pm »

anyone else in the building under the age of 55.
[/quote]

What do you imagine happens at 55 !? 
Must admit I'm afraid I fit in the over 55 category but last time I was there( The Albion) I was the only one in a group of 6 that was, the others being well under by a long way.
I certainly don't yearn for the past when you stood in some so called trendy pub ( no seats available) clutching your pint, looking at your mates but not speaking as the music was too loud.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7162 on: August 09, 2016, 03:00:34 pm »

I certainly don't yearn for the past when you stood in some so called trendy pub ( no seats available) clutching your pint, looking at your mates but not speaking as the music was too loud.
[/quote]

To be fairt with my mates - it's probably best if I  can't hear them  L0L
Maybe it's the times I'm going to the Albion then but honestly whenever I've been (often it'll be tea time ish on a Monday) all I ever see is bored looking old people and dogs (can't tell if the dogs are bored or not)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7163 on: August 09, 2016, 03:02:13 pm »
Also - the exact opposite reason is why I steer clear of the likes of the 147 - Hard to find anyone else in the building over the age of 21!

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7165 on: August 10, 2016, 10:04:42 am »

To be fairt with my mates - it's probably best if I  can't hear them  L0L
Maybe it's the times I'm going to the Albion then but honestly whenever I've been (often it'll be tea time ish on a Monday) all I ever see is bored looking old people and dogs (can't tell if the dogs are bored or not)
[/quote]

We are possibly the bored looking old people on a Monday night, we walk over from Deganwy in the summer on a Monday because it's possibly one of the few nights that you can get a seat - and as for the question as to what the Albion is like after 9pm, well it's heaving and little chance of a seat. In the past I've walked over at a weekend and haven't even been able to get through the door. Now, with other pubs in Conwy being refurbished and upping their game, there is a choice of acceptable venues with decent beer whereas a few years ago most pubs in Conwy were all vying to sell the cheapest lager to the town drunks.

Conwy's pubs have come a long way in the past couple of years and the given realisation to the idea that is that there is a decent profit to be made in a decent pub. The Albion is not the holy grail, but it is a great success and has changed the (grotty) pub scene in Conwy to one that is enjoying a revival to decency.   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7166 on: August 10, 2016, 04:34:36 pm »
The Albion is alright if you don't mind being in the solemn company of every dog owner and iPad owner in Conwy county.
It's very much one for the pseudo-intellectual, dog lover and real ale enthusiast.
Other than those folk, it's rubbish.

Well, apart from that, what have the Romans done for us...........
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7167 on: August 10, 2016, 04:46:56 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7168 on: August 11, 2016, 08:37:13 am »
Personally a big fan of the Albion for a pint and a bit of crack, if I'm meeting relatives in Conwy, best place to go for drink and catch up in my mind - while sampling local beers.

Nothing really like that in Llandudno. There's the Great Orme Brewery, which is decent but hardly convenient.

I'm just selfish, I basically want the Red Lion in Old Colwyn to move to Llandudno (my favourite boozer).

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7169 on: August 11, 2016, 11:06:31 am »
Personally a big fan of the Albion for a pint and a bit of crack, if I'm meeting relatives in Conwy, best place to go for drink and catch up in my mind - while sampling local beers.

Nothing really like that in Llandudno. There's the Great Orme Brewery, which is decent but hardly convenient.

I'm just selfish, I basically want the Red Lion in Old Colwyn to move to Llandudno (my favourite boozer).

Tom, spot on.