Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663759 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7140 on: August 04, 2016, 07:45:36 pm »
I did try, Hugo.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #7141 on: August 04, 2016, 07:59:01 pm »
I was out fishing on Monday when they came to play alongside the boat for about 1/2 hour ,about 20 in total mother and calf have video but can't download I need a computer neerd to help

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #7142 on: August 04, 2016, 08:02:13 pm »
Here's another example of CCBC lunacy, from the Daily Post.
Oh, and please teach them how to spell.   The Isle of Mann for God's sake?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/what-happened-car-way-double-11701213

What Highways have also failed to explain about double yellow line makings on that junction, is why the lines outside the front of the Empire (at both ends) do not conform to the Road Traffic Act. Their double yellow lines stop right on the apex. I wonder why?
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline spotty dog

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7144 on: August 04, 2016, 09:52:03 pm »
Here's another example of CCBC lunacy, from the Daily Post.
Oh, and please teach them how to spell.   The Isle of Mann for God's sake?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/what-happened-car-way-double-11701213

What Highways have also failed to explain about double yellow line makings on that junction, is why the lines outside the front of the Empire (at both ends) do not conform to the Road Traffic Act. Their double yellow lines stop right on the apex. I wonder why?

Maybe that was the reason they extended the lines by a car length but could only partially do it as the space was occupied?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #7145 on: August 05, 2016, 08:06:13 pm »

Maybe that was the reason they extended the lines by a car length but could only partially do it as the space was occupied?

I wish that was the case SDQ, but not so. The yellow lines on one of Llandudno's most awkward and restricted corners, from Upper Mostyn Street into Ty Gwyn Road have failed to meet the requirements of the Road Traffic Act for at least the last 20 years, to my certain knowledge. Then just to add insult to injury overnight Parking is allowed on the single yellow line at the front of the Empire, from 17:00hrs until 10:00hrs the following morning.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7146 on: August 06, 2016, 01:54:26 am »
I had a great time around the hostelries of Llandudno tonight, with Mrs F and her friends,
But.... WHY is the town so quiet?
I fear that some long-standing businesses are going to become casualties this Autumn/ winter.
Visitors flee the town soon after 4pm, and locals seem to stay at home or patronise bars and restaurants further afield.
Each to their own I suppose, but Llandudno is struggling at the very time they should be raking it in.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7147 on: August 06, 2016, 12:39:55 pm »
Seems people prefer Conwy these days,i was in the Kings head last night,very quiet,Snowdon was ok,Fountains quiet.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7148 on: August 06, 2016, 06:50:10 pm »
I would have expected Upper Mostyn Street to be busy once again and the youngsters moving on later to Broadway Boulevard.

Is that not happening?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7149 on: August 06, 2016, 10:12:36 pm »
No Bri, come and take a look, you'll be shocked how quiet it is once the drinkers have left the outside of the bars, because the sun has gone.   Inside they are like the Marie Celeste!
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7150 on: August 07, 2016, 07:50:14 am »
It does seem a little odd this year.  We've noticed how quiet town's been in the morning on some days while on others it's heaving. Whether this means there are simply m,ore day trippers I don't know.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7151 on: August 07, 2016, 09:45:49 am »
Quality of pubs in Llandudno now is not good enought,Conwy are close together and what the older drinker prefer,i for one do not go but thats me,we just need a few quality establishments to get the punters back

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7152 on: August 07, 2016, 11:33:42 am »
It does seem a little odd this year.  We've noticed how quiet town's been in the morning on some days while on others it's heaving. Whether this means there are simply m,ore day trippers I don't know.

It's building on the same phenomenon I mentioned last year, the town is usually very quiet until 1pm when it becomes very congested indeed.  But soon after 4pm it is pretty much dead.
It is primarily more day trippers and a couple of bits of evidence support that.
The pier owner is advertising the Llandudno attraction at Tyr Prince, Prestatyn, Rhyl and Towyn and those caravanners  and holiday camp visitors are coming down in big numbers.

Some of the large hotels which should be booked solid from June to End August are reporting that they are experiencing about 25% cancellations.   
Large tour companies such as Saga and Great Rail who book large swathes of rooms are unable now to find sufficient numbers to make the coach trip viable.
So... it's a different demographic of people coming to the town, and at different times.
The town was eerily quiet after 7pm last night.  A Saturday!
Fester...

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7153 on: August 07, 2016, 04:33:11 pm »
We where in the gresh,then Cottage then Snowdon back to the Gresh then Cooney an home x

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7154 on: August 08, 2016, 12:05:00 pm »
A recent article in the Post might be of interest......

Have North Wales pubs still got pulling power?
The pub industry has suffered a tough few years amid high running costs and falling trade.
High taxes on beer, competition from supermarkets selling cheap alcohol and changing social habits have hurt the pub trade.

But it is not all doom and gloom and some shining exanples have shown that there is life left in the local when the offer is right.
The best pubs in North Wales according to The Good Pub Guide

One of those success stories has been the Albion pub in Conwy, opened with the backing of four local breweries.
Stuart Chapman-Edwards, landlord of the Albion in Conwy, said: “We were bold and stuck to our guns.
“We opened a place with no music, no Sky TV, no pool, stripping it back to the pubs people had been coming to for hundreds of years.

“People said it would not work and that drinkers wanted these things but we stuck with it and it has worked for us.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/north-wales-pubs-still-pulling-11699874