Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663737 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6780 on: January 04, 2016, 05:28:09 pm »
sorry

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6781 on: January 04, 2016, 05:29:45 pm »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline squiggle

« Reply #6782 on: January 04, 2016, 06:42:59 pm »
Piri Piri

I had to look that up - it sounds posh - but there again,

A wild drift but perrhaps I grew up with a mixture of "salt, mustard vinegar and pepper" and for afters, "yellow matted custard". Life was hard being b 1960 and living in the Llandudno area.

Of course that is all tongue in cheek and I think I only learned the latter in the playground, I do feel grateful to Glanwydden school and in those days Dafydd Williams followed by Mrs Parker after he was ill. whether it was things in a language I still don't speak like dacw mam yn dwad or to the (In my humble opinion wonderful) Calon Lan, there are things you remember in some ways and there of course was Singing Together - the BBC Shcools radio programme.

For my own amateur folk music interests, I'm grateful for my time there.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6783 on: January 05, 2016, 09:12:53 am »
I like folk music as well, have you ever been to Conwy Folk Club?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6784 on: January 05, 2016, 09:35:27 am »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6785 on: January 05, 2016, 09:36:16 am »
Work will shortly be starting on the new Lifeboat Station by Craig Y Don Paddling Pool, a sign has gone up on the site.  $good$

Offline squiggle

« Reply #6786 on: January 05, 2016, 10:00:16 am »

I was one of several people involved at the start of the Conwy club when it was on the boat on the quay.

The only N Wales venue I've got to just the once since leaving the area some time around 2000 was the Irish session in Bangor, at that time at the Nelson. I am possibly aware of most folk clubs that existed in the area from the early 80s until that time and have been to clubs from say Denbigh to Bangor.

In the later 80s, through a combination of revisiting the Dubliners but listening more to Barney McKenna's playing, wanting something instrumental but (to me) a bit more than the morris dance tunes, learning of the Irish session in Bangor (which incidentally has it's origins in the 60s at the Ship Launch - took me years to hear of it...), etc. etc. got more interested in the tune/session side of things.  I'm not very good at it (although a stable enough "2nd/3rd violin" in a session going well and pulling everyone along) but that's where my first love in the vast area of "folk music" lay for a long while.

I say lay as over the past 12 months I have been trying to revisit the guitar (as opposed to being heavily GDAE tuned fretted strings, eg. mandolin, tenor banjo) and some songs more.

Do you participate in any of the local events?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6787 on: January 05, 2016, 10:42:20 am »

I was one of several people involved at the start of the Conwy club when it was on the boat on the quay.

The only N Wales venue I've got to just the once since leaving the area some time around 2000 was the Irish session in Bangor, at that time at the Nelson. I am possibly aware of most folk clubs that existed in the area from the early 80s until that time and have been to clubs from say Denbigh to Bangor.

In the later 80s, through a combination of revisiting the Dubliners but listening more to Barney McKenna's playing, wanting something instrumental but (to me) a bit more than the morris dance tunes, learning of the Irish session in Bangor (which incidentally has it's origins in the 60s at the Ship Launch - took me years to hear of it...), etc. etc. got more interested in the tune/session side of things.  I'm not very good at it (although a stable enough "2nd/3rd violin" in a session going well and pulling everyone along) but that's where my first love in the vast area of "folk music" lay for a long while.

I say lay as over the past 12 months I have been trying to revisit the guitar (as opposed to being heavily GDAE tuned fretted strings, eg. mandolin, tenor banjo) and some songs more.

Do you participate in any of the local events?

Not too much local stuff, I've organised the Wigan Irish Festival for the past few years which has been a great event. However organising festivals is incredibly stressful! think I prefer the sitting back with a real ale watching a festival to be honest. I thought the Conwy Food festival was brilliant.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6788 on: January 05, 2016, 10:51:50 am »
Although this should probably be in the Conwy or events bit. We've gone quite  off topic  Z**

http://www.thechangingroommusic.com/

These guys are playing the Conwy Folk Club in February. A superb group. If anyone is at a loss for what to do on a Monday night.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #6789 on: January 05, 2016, 11:15:16 am »
Not too much local stuff, I've organised the Wigan Irish Festival for the past few years which has been a great event. However organising festivals is incredibly stressful! think I prefer the sitting back with a real ale watching a festival to be honest. I thought the Conwy Food festival was brilliant.

I've just looked the Wigan event up. I see it even has gaelic football in the mix.  It sounds like quite and interesting cultural event.

I've only ever been involved with small local things (and sort of 99% of that as a floor spot/ session participant) but I've no difficulty imagining organising a festival can be very stressful.

I don't know the Conwy Food festival - is it relatively new?

I do have some fond memories of the earlier days of the Conwy Street Festival.  Flaco Jiminez and his Tex Mex band in the Civic hall were quite something!  Probably later but a Brass group called the Real McCaws  could liven up the bandstand by the Liverpool Arms. I was sort of spell bound by a street act called something like "Mummer and dada" - they did a short play - I think involving someone rescuing his wife/to be from Hades - in which they managed to work in knife throwing, walking on glass, a bit of acrobatics, etc.  And I always thought David Alexander was good and seemed to be able to have groups of kids with their mouths open...

I suppose arguably, a bit of a "curates egg" perhaps and I think the organisers had a hard time trying to fund some of the acts but for me anyway, not without high spots.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #6790 on: January 05, 2016, 11:19:12 am »
Although this should probably be in the Conwy or events bit. We've gone quite  off topic  Z**

Agreed.  Mods, if you see fit, is it possible to move the Conwy folk bits? (I'm not fussed either way but do feel we might be taking over Llandudno here).

Offline squiggle

« Reply #6791 on: January 05, 2016, 11:50:58 am »

These guys are playing the Conwy Folk Club in February. A superb group. If anyone is at a loss for what to do on a Monday night.

I'd not heard of them (but being far more get out and join in than CDs and listening these days, I've  hardly heard of anyone...).  I've just visited their site and listened to their Splann EP tracks.  From that, I'd say they do hit the right spots for me and yes, if I still lived in the area, I would look forward to that one.

Moving even further OT, when I do listen, a couple of my favourite records are the old Christy Moore Black album and the original Planxty one.  I'm guessing they fit well with your own tastes?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6792 on: January 05, 2016, 11:56:46 am »

I've just looked the Wigan event up. I see it even has gaelic football in the mix.  It sounds like quite and interesting cultural event.

I've only ever been involved with small local things (and sort of 99% of that as a floor spot/ session participant) but I've no difficulty imagining organising a festival can be very stressful.

I don't know the Conwy Food festival - is it relatively new?

I do have some fond memories of the earlier days of the Conwy Street Festival.  Flaco Jiminez and his Tex Mex band in the Civic hall were quite something!  Probably later but a Brass group called the Real McCaws  could liven up the bandstand by the Liverpool Arms. I was sort of spell bound by a street act called something like "Mummer and dada" - they did a short play - I think involving someone rescuing his wife/to be from Hades - in which they managed to work in knife throwing, walking on glass, a bit of acrobatics, etc.  And I always thought David Alexander was good and seemed to be able to have groups of kids with their mouths open...

I suppose arguably, a bit of a "curates egg" perhaps and I think the organisers had a hard time trying to fund some of the acts but for me anyway, not without high spots.

Yes I played for the festival Gaelic football team in the first two years, not a sport for the faint hearted! Was glad I made it to see the evening performers!

I think the Conwy food festival is quite new, last two years maybe. Last year was the first time I attended, very relaxed, friendly, great beers and good music.
The group Port Sunlight Sea Dogs who I'm a big fan of normally play at the Pirate festival as well, though when I saw them last year there it was pretty poorly attended (Closure of the Liverpool Arms didn't help)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6793 on: January 05, 2016, 11:59:41 am »

I'd not heard of them (but being far more get out and join in than CDs and listening these days, I've  hardly heard of anyone...).  I've just visited their site and listened to their Splann EP tracks.  From that, I'd say they do hit the right spots for me and yes, if I still lived in the area, I would look forward to that one.

Moving even further OT, when I do listen, a couple of my favourite records are the old Christy Moore Black album and the original Planxty one.  I'm guessing they fit well with your own tastes?

Yes I saw Christy Moore at venue cymru last year he was brilliant. Nobody else on this forum had heard of him I remember  L0L

Offline squiggle

« Reply #6794 on: January 05, 2016, 12:42:42 pm »
Yes I saw Christy Moore at venue cymru last year he was brilliant. Nobody else on this forum had heard of him I remember  L0L

Yep, it can be surprising that someone who's status in modern day usage of the term is "legendary" can be so little heard of but I guess folk is a minority interest.

Perhaps more surprising to me reflecting on my time in N Wales was a general lack of knowledge of the Welsh folk dance tunes.  Things did seem to be changing a bit and even I could run to say Pant Corlan Yr Wwn, Ty Coch Caerdydd, Gwyr Dfynant... and, although I was "join in", there were groups like Crasdant.

I'm going back a while but there was a Welsh session in the Garth, Bangor on a Monday night. The one time I got there it was mostly Welsh first language players which I guess some English like myself could find a bit of a struggle but it was incredibly friendly to anyone with an interest in playing some Welsh tunes.

Unfortunately transport problems, clashes of things of Mondays, etc. prevented me from visiting again but if it is still going in some shape or form, I'd recommend anyone with interests in that particular area of folk music to give it a try.