Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664321 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5925 on: December 18, 2014, 02:14:56 pm »
Why should it be down to me personally to help? As a state we need to protect our vulnerable and needy.
Do you want me to go out and catch the criminals the police fail to catch as well Fester?

If your feeling helpful, why not?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5926 on: December 18, 2014, 02:20:15 pm »
I may well help, and I may well put on a batman costume and catch criminals. My point is I shouldn't HAVE to.
That is why we should have systems in place to help people like this.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5927 on: December 18, 2014, 02:25:18 pm »
I may well help, and I may well put on a batman costume and catch criminals. My point is I shouldn't HAVE to.
That is why we should have systems in place to help people like this.

You don't have to, and you didn't have to bring him up for discussion either.

There are indeed systems in place for people like him, but he chose to abuse them.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5928 on: December 18, 2014, 02:38:58 pm »
I agree.  There are systems aplenty for this sort of case, and he was clearly the beneficiary of one.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5929 on: December 18, 2014, 02:49:40 pm »

There are indeed systems in place for people like him, but he chose to abuse them.

He did not choose to have a rough childhood, go to a care home that abused him, become an alcoholic or live in a cave.
But we as privileged and educated members of society do have a choice of whether or not we should help people like him. Clearly certain people on this forum have already made this choice. Hope you enjoy your new Sky plus box Fester $good$
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:17:25 pm by Ian »

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5930 on: December 18, 2014, 04:08:15 pm »
It is his own fault, he made himself homeless and then of his own free will chose to live in a cave! I hope he pays rent to the owner of the cave!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Dave

« Reply #5931 on: December 18, 2014, 04:58:47 pm »
There is no simple answer on this one is there? Yes he was given his opportunity and yes, by his own admission, he let the system down by abusing the rules. Does he deserve to get kicked out and in to the cold of winter as a result? Is this the only way of dealing with a situation like this?
I don't know enough to make a judgement.
I do know though that many people don't stand an even chance in life right from birth. They have hapless parents who do nothing to steer them in the right direction. Some are brought up not knowing the difference between right and wrong, even encouraged to break the law. For those unfortunate enough to end up in a care home from an early age one would have thought that "care" would indeed have been administered and that maybe, away from their natural parents, they might stand a better chance. Far from it it now seems. The carers in our midst seem to have often been predators on the disadvantaged.
It's a shameful reflection on our society but I still don't believe just throwing money at every situation is the answer either.
All recipients of benefits of any kind should have to earn them in one way or another.In this case the guy failed on exactly that score.

Offline Jack

« Reply #5932 on: December 18, 2014, 05:24:19 pm »

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #5933 on: December 18, 2014, 05:27:55 pm »
He told me that he was ex forces, no mention of that in the article, perhaps I was had after I gave him something outside Marks.

Offline Dave

« Reply #5934 on: December 18, 2014, 06:19:42 pm »
Interestingly the charity request that people don't give money to the homeless as they will spend it on drink and drugs and get themselves in more trouble.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5935 on: December 19, 2014, 12:52:50 am »

He did not choose to have a rough childhood, go to a care home that abused him, become an alcoholic or live in a cave.
But we as privileged and educated members of society do have a choice of whether or not we should help people like him. Clearly certain people on this forum have already made this choice. Hope you enjoy your new Sky plus box Fester $good$

Interesting to read that he has a radio in that cave.... he better not leave it unattended, or I'll have that off him as well.
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5936 on: December 19, 2014, 09:02:23 am »
Is this the same guy that sits outside Sainsburys a lot? If so, I've seen him being abusive to passers-by in the past.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5937 on: December 19, 2014, 09:11:58 am »
Interestingly the charity request that people don't give money to the homeless as they will spend it on drink and drugs and get themselves in more trouble.

All I'm saying is.... If I lived in a cave I would not like to be sober.  Z**
Nothing against the charity though, I know them and they do wonderful work, BUT not giving them money because they will spend it on drink and drugs is stupid.
If they are going to spend it on drink and drugs there is no hope of their recovery at that time, you don't make people better by simply denying them of their habits they need to overcome their habits and be able to physically and mentally accept that they don't need drink and drugs anymore. Rehabilitation is the answer not prevention.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5938 on: December 19, 2014, 09:15:27 am »
Rehabilitation is the answer not prevention.

I agree. But until their behaviour becomes such that they're sectionable, they can't be forced to undertake it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #5939 on: December 19, 2014, 09:43:48 am »
I think it's nice that he has somewhere for Christmas, but I would be concerned in case this man creates some kind of precedent. I've seen several instances where charities like Hope Restored can sometimes create a 'problem' where one didn't exist before.

It's starts with one homeless or destitute person (maybe the classic local tramp), and a well-meaning person starts to believe there is an 'issue' with homelessness in the area, so they set-up a charity, then word gets about and more people with nowhere else to go arrive as they have heard they'll be 'cared for', and a problem creates itself almost out of no-where.

I can imagine that if word gets around in the homeless community that there is a charity in Llandudno, who'll look after them, that they'll get free accommodation and support, that the local paper will run stories about them and that even if they 'fall off the wagon' they'll still be helped, then we could see a formerly non-existent 'problem' escalate into something else.

For a small tourist town like Llandudno that would not be a good thing. Before anyone says it, it's not snobby or uncaring for me to say that, it's just being practical as we wouldn't have the resources to cope.