Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664354 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5671 on: October 02, 2014, 05:57:00 pm »
Llandudno mayor calls for formal 'twinning' with Liverpool

Cultural and tourism links would benefit both says Mayor Malcolm Bullock, a former Liverpool city councillor.
“We’ve got such strong ties with the area. You can hardly walk down the prom without bumping into a Scouser.”

“We tried once before but I don’t think we got a reply from the then mayor.

Do you think twinning Llandudno with Liverpool would be a good idea?   you can vote on the link..
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-mayor-calls-formal-twinning-7872740

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5672 on: October 02, 2014, 06:28:19 pm »
Can't we be twinned with Chester instead?  ZXZ

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5673 on: October 02, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »
Sorry DaveR,as a Wrexham supporter this idea is a no no.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5674 on: October 02, 2014, 11:02:55 pm »
are you a Wrexham lad Wrex.?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5675 on: October 03, 2014, 01:06:30 am »
Town Twinning is one of those 1970's anachronisms that serves only to cost tax payers lots of money in new signage, and use up all the Council's expenses budget on champagne and prawn sandwiches for those who attend the endless meetings about the 'project'

I would dearly love to see some tangible figures on any revenue actually created by these schemes.

I also wonder, if we are twinned with Liverpool, will the many thousands of Manchester visitors no longer wish to come?
It's a serious question.

The Town Council voted UNANIMOUSLY to pursue the matter,  well that just shows how 'out of touch' they are,  as the current poll was showing 86% NOT in favour when I last checked!   &shake& &shake& &shake&

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5676 on: October 03, 2014, 08:14:16 am »
I tend to agree. Not sure what the area in general would gain that it doesn't already have.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5677 on: October 03, 2014, 04:53:25 pm »
Liverpool's Green party leader welcomes Llandudno twinning calls

We ran an online poll asking people if they thought twinning with Llandudno was a good idea. 92% said no, while only 8% said yes

"Roy Kyffin simply said: “Might as well twin with Rhyl! Crazy!”  ( more comments on link)

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/liverpools-green-party-leader-welcomes-7878593

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #5678 on: October 03, 2014, 05:15:30 pm »
To be fair, a lot of the people they quote seem to be Welsh nationalists, who would hate any link between Wales and England. Also polls like this where people reading choose to vote are renowned for being highly biased and highly inaccurate. If they did a poll of Llandudno people, I doubt it would be that extreme. I happen to like the idea. Any way that we can get some of the hundreds of thousands of foreign visitors who visit Liverpool down to Llandudno should be welcomed!

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #5679 on: October 03, 2014, 08:04:41 pm »
I thought we were already twinned with Wormhout?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5680 on: October 03, 2014, 11:15:43 pm »
I thought we were already twinned with Wormhout?

Llandudno is indeed twinned with Wormhout, and that is appropriate .... and sufficient.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5681 on: October 04, 2014, 09:00:48 am »
Have a sneak peek inside the 1920s property which is on the market for £1.5m and comes with its own private jetty and beach access
A house which boasts spectacular panoramic views across the Conwy Estuary has gone on the market for a cool £1.5m.

Located on the lower slopes of the Great Orme in Llandudno, it offers views stretching as far as Anglesey and Puffin Island.

As well as beautiful extensive gardens, the 1920s art deco marine residence on Llys Helig Drive even has its own private jetty and access to the beach.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/property-insider-great-orme-house-7877827

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5682 on: October 05, 2014, 09:42:21 am »
We should re-name town ,snail town to go with the progress of anything that happens here like the Tudno Castle for one.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5683 on: October 06, 2014, 09:23:58 pm »
BODY FOUND: The body of a man was found on Marine Drive in Llandudno in the early hours of this morning.
North Wales Police and other emergency services attended at about 5am where a man in his 20s was pronounced dead at the scene.
The man has yet to be formally identified, but police say they are not treating his death as suspicious.
The matter will be referred to HM Coroner.
Martin Williams: Llandudno man who died on Great Orme suffered major head injuries

The body of bar worker Martin Haynes Williams, 23, of Lloyd Street, Llandudno, was found by a local man on Marine Drive early in the morning of September 30.
Mr Williams, who worked at Venue Cymru, was certified dead at the scene.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/martin-williams-llandudno-man-who-7891934

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5684 on: October 07, 2014, 05:29:43 pm »
Llandudno flat fire sparked by a cigarette

A cigarette sparked a fire at a flat above a hairdressers in Llandudno.
Firefighters were called to the first floor property above the Male Box hairdressers on Madoc Street at about 10.20am this morning.
The property was evacuated and paramedics were called but no-one was hurt.

Three fire engines attended the scene where they used two sets of a breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze, which was out by 10.45am.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-flat-fire-sparked-cigarette-7895459