Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2642220 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2010, 06:39:25 pm »
I agree!
This Forum could definitely be a catalyst for a lot of good things.
There are lots of very intelligent and dedicated members (I don't count myself in that number)

Perhaps we could turn our combined focus on one issue....(a relatively small one like the Xmas lights, or a massive one like the Pier Pavilion) ... and not let go of it until some positive action is taken?  Why not?

There is something to be said for 'pester-power'

Through the medium of the Forum, the chosen issue would stay in the spotlight and visible to all.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »
I agree!
This Forum could definitely be a catalyst for a lot of good things.
There are lots of very intelligent and dedicated members (I don't count myself in that number)

Perhaps we could turn our combined focus on one issue....(a relatively small one like the Xmas lights, or a massive one like the Pier Pavilion) ... and not let go of it until some positive action is taken?  Why not?

There is something to be said for 'pester-power'

Through the medium of the Forum, the chosen issue would stay in the spotlight and visible to all.

Good idea! I'll vote for the pier pavillion, which annoys me whenever I pass  :(
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #302 on: November 25, 2010, 08:51:51 pm »
 ;) Guess what i vote for. :P

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #303 on: November 25, 2010, 09:54:38 pm »
;) Guess what i vote for. :P
Erm........nooooo don't tell me!...I know this one......erm....erm......  L0L
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Paddy

« Reply #304 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:11 pm »
I'm with Merddin, it must be the Pier Pavillion. But for Wrex's benefit, when we get the site tidied up we can surround it with pretty lights!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #305 on: November 25, 2010, 11:29:26 pm »
Trying to be serious for a moment (most unlike me I admit) ... this Forum actually costs money to run.. and we don't pay anything....so perhaps we really should utilise it now to DO something for LLandudno (or any of the 3 towns)
If we don't, I fear that the Forum itself will become less relevant.   I doubt whether Dave and Ian would be happy to see it being used as a talking shop or a medium for games.  But I don't speak for them.

If we don't seize this opportunity and focus our efforts then the issue (for example the Pier Pavilion) will simply fade away again for a long period.

What we decide to do, who is involved and the approach we take should be the tangible subject of the next debate on this Forum.

Fester...

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #306 on: November 25, 2010, 11:37:45 pm »
I would get involved Fester,  I truly think this forum could become a very important and formidable tool we could utilise to bring about change within the tree towns area. Lets see what happens.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #307 on: November 25, 2010, 11:53:01 pm »
There we go... two of us already.

But you hit on an absolutely crucial point... NOTHING will happen if we wait to see what will happen.

So, I am now going to watch this thread with great interest .. to see what kind of momentum builds (if any)   $3towns$

Fester...

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #308 on: November 25, 2010, 11:57:40 pm »
Ditto,

quote "they who think their too small to make a difference, have never slept with a mosquito in the bed"

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #309 on: November 26, 2010, 08:13:58 am »
This is exactly what a community forum should be doing. Becoming a force for change in the local area. 

There are, however, caveats.  We will not be taken seriously unless and until folk start using their real names on the forum. Dave and I do, but few others display theirs, and that can be a stumbling block, since it implies a measure of fear and reticence to those whose minds we would seek to change.  We don't need to reveal surnames;  in fact, I would countenance against that, although Mike Smith and Jason do, among others, but we need to show people that we're not afraid of speaking out in our own right, and not behind some faintly perplexing sobriquet.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: November 26, 2010, 10:21:46 am »
I don't mind what name people use on here (if we had 10 Daves it could get a bit confusing) but, obviously, we would have to use real names in any communication with outside parties.  :)

Some questions that need answers would be....

1) What problem building/site etc do we choose as the project?
2) What can we actually do to try and resolve the problem?

If I take the Pier Pavilion site as an example -

1) We could ask the local MP, Guto Bebb, to become involved.
2) The new Welsh Assembly member next May should be raring to go, get him involved.
3) Start an online Petition.
4) Start a Facebook page
5) Have a big banner made that said ' This site is a disgrace to Llandudno - Join us if you want to do something about it' and attach it to the fence surrounding the site.
6) Have an 'Eyesore Clock' on a website, that counts how much time has passed since the Pavilion burnt down.]
7) Ask locals and visitors what they would like to see on the site.

Make no mistake though, the Pier Pavilion is a very tricky issue to resolve. A private owner that doesn't want to sell, a Council that doesn't want to use its powers to acquire the site, a WAG that wont have much cash to give grants, and a recession that means private developers will struggle to raise any finance. Not being negative, just realistic.  :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:23:23 am by DaveR »

Offline dontheturner

• Never look back, at your past mistakes
« Reply #311 on: November 26, 2010, 11:11:50 am »

Hello Pendragon - re: the Mosquito - please!  don't knock it, till you've tried it.  (Sorry! Guys)   Don

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #312 on: November 26, 2010, 12:14:59 pm »
  :P I will chair the xmas lights for 2011 campaign. WWW

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #313 on: November 26, 2010, 01:42:23 pm »
Put me down for the pier pavilion what you suggest is excellent.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #314 on: November 26, 2010, 03:14:49 pm »
I have no problem using my name, most posts explain who I am anyway.
I would like to be involved in the xmas lights too. There's lots of fund raising ideas to consider, take a leaf from Penmaenmawrs book.