Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663374 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4950 on: March 19, 2014, 11:07:22 pm »
I am utterly sick of these mercenary 'fake' charities, and the supposed 'student comic' magazines, which are basically thieves and beggars ripping off those who are of a charitable nature.

No wonder we are all more cynical and cautious these days.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4951 on: March 20, 2014, 09:16:13 am »
It really is disgraceful behaviour, I hope everyone on the Forum shuns these scammers and tells all their friends to do so as well.

Even some legitimate charities have dubious fundraising methods - Oxfam seem to employ people to stand outside M&S harassing passersby to donate to them. Interestingly, they seem to be in breach of their own rules:

The new regime, to be enforced across the UK by the Public Fundraising Regulatory Association (PFRA), also means street fundraisers must not:

•   stand within 3m of a shop doorway, cash machines, pedestrian crossing or station entrance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19316167

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4953 on: March 20, 2014, 09:47:25 am »
I am utterly sick of these mercenary 'fake' charities, and the supposed 'student comic' magazines, which are basically thieves and beggars ripping off those who are of a charitable nature.

You do a similiar thing with our darts subs  :'(

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4954 on: March 20, 2014, 11:21:17 am »

As you well know, I invest them wisely on your behalf and for the common good.  ?{}?
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4955 on: March 20, 2014, 12:24:31 pm »

As you well know, I invest them wisely on your behalf and for the common good.  ?{}?

Z**

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4956 on: March 22, 2014, 01:17:43 am »
Sorry to report that there was an unfortunate scene in the Victoria Shopping centre today.... and I caused it!

You see I had occasion to be in the mobile phone shop, and whilst waiting I got sick and tired of hearing the 'fake' army charity blokes calling out to people.
So I went out, stood by them, called them crooks when they asked me for money.... and I remained there for about 5 minutes trying to dissuade ALL passers by from contributing.
They were perplexed but didn't really know what to do about me.

I needn't have bothered though, because nobody was put off, and I was amazed at the fact that around 80% of people who passed by actually put money in their buckets.      I wasted my time, but I still hate them!
Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4957 on: March 22, 2014, 07:21:24 am »
Good for you Fester! They won't get a penny from me!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4958 on: March 22, 2014, 07:41:36 am »
For the record, Fester, yesterday's collectors were Army of Angels.

http://dralexmay.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/can-we-trust-army-of-angels/

Last wednesday's collectors were Families of the Brave.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/families-brave-forces-charity-keeps-3234525

It seems both charities are run by Sterling Promotions located in Poulton-Le-Fylde.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4959 on: March 22, 2014, 08:57:49 am »
Sadly, these Armed forces 'charities' are only following in the footsteps of some of the major charities in the UK.  The NSPCC, for instance, has a lamentable track record, since all its actual child protection responsibilities were subsumed by the Local Councils under the Children Act. Apart from spending more than 20% of its charitable income on Direct TV Advertising, its only function (though some may argue it's an important one) is the funding of Childline. Remove the cost of Childline from the equation and last year a whopping £95,000,000 was spent on advertising and 'providing information' which can be seen as another form of advertising.

It gets better.  Last year alone they paid more than 52 employees at least £60,000 a year in salary, but that's not between them. The head of NSPCC is paid £170,000 a year, six others are paid more than £100,000 each per year and the rest between £60,000 and £90,000 each.  Nice work if you can get it.

The Charity owns three trading subsidiaries and also owns a staggering £27,000,000 worth of property.  But they don't actually look after any children, so how on earth do they manage to use that amount of property and where is it?

Little wonder that smaller would-be charities eye up this sort of behaviour with more than a little envy.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4960 on: March 22, 2014, 11:30:22 am »
good on you fester ,i allways put in but not anymore ,st davids hospice should get all our donations ,look at david miliband the wedge he,s on for that charity  :rage: as my younger lad says charity begins at home i think he,s right .

Offline Bigmurph

« Reply #4961 on: March 22, 2014, 08:47:15 pm »
Well done fester next time u need any help to fupp them up come down the station and the boys in orange will help u out they r just con artists they should be nicked its wrong !!(rant over)

Offline DVT

« Reply #4962 on: March 23, 2014, 03:19:00 pm »
Am I correct is stating that to collect on the streets of Llandudno you must first have a licence issued by the Council?

If yes, then ask these guys to show you the licence.  And then report them to the council to try and ensure they don't get it in future.

If not, then get Mr Plod to assist in their removal.

I am involved in event that takes place later in the year and have to apply for, and get, a licence before we can sell programmes to the public on the prom - the money going to local charity organisations who do the selling/collecitng on our behalf.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4963 on: March 23, 2014, 04:14:52 pm »
Perhaps they are exempt because they are always active within the Victoria Centre and never in Mostyn Street.

Unfortunately, they were back yesterday with two collectors doing brisk trade with their buckets.

Offline mull

« Reply #4964 on: March 23, 2014, 04:35:56 pm »
Has anyone asked the owners of the Victoria Centre if they have given them permissionto collect ?