Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663496 times)

Offline Jack

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4890 on: February 19, 2014, 08:00:23 am »
From Councillor Mike Priestley's twitter feed this morning:

"Good news for Llandudno, just received a marine consent to remove the rock from "kiddies Corner" on the north Shore. Creating a beach."

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4891 on: February 23, 2014, 09:05:52 am »
Where are we heading, as i have already mentioned we seem to be losing shops rather than gaining and as we are out of this ressesion it should be the other way.Do we ever hear of any councillors trying to get the empty shops cleaned up,trying to get CCBC acting on the Arena,how about them painting the Alice statues in their spare time i will supply a dust sheet,joking apart things at the moment don;t seem to be ressectionless.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #4892 on: February 23, 2014, 12:15:21 pm »
Police have closed the top end of North Parade, from the roundabout with Church Walks because of slates falling from the Grand Hotel's roof.  $walesflag$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4893 on: February 23, 2014, 01:14:09 pm »
The Grand have apparently asked the Pier if they can erect a load of scaffolding on the Pier property in order to tackle this roof damage problem.
However, it's not as simple as that.... as access to the Pier itself will be badly affected apparently, and discussions are ongoing.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jack

« Reply #4894 on: February 23, 2014, 02:23:49 pm »
Police have cordoned off St John''s Church in Mostyn Street, besides Marks & Spencer, due to the risk from loose roof tiles.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4895 on: February 23, 2014, 05:12:19 pm »
Yes, Holy Trinity's roof was doing a 'bit of creaking' this morning!!

Offline Barney Baker

« Reply #4896 on: February 23, 2014, 07:24:17 pm »
 >>>update on the St Johns Church, it wasn't tiles that is the problem it is one of the little spire's that is threatening to come crashing down it was moving quite a lot in the wind they had cordoned the front of the church off but then removed them funny considering the structure in question is 2 tons and 10 feet in height I for one will walking on the opposite side of the road from now until they get it sorted

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4897 on: February 23, 2014, 08:55:13 pm »
Where is the Aerial Ladder Platform when Llandudno needs it?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4898 on: February 23, 2014, 09:56:32 pm »
Rhyl.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4899 on: February 24, 2014, 08:33:00 am »
Large piece of metal railing flapping away yesterday in the car-park behind Wetherspoons. It has been cordoned off.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4900 on: February 25, 2014, 07:27:06 am »
Spring is in the air,the flowers are coming out,we have a new ice cream parlour,two eyesore hotels being done up and the new beach promised,positive.

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #4901 on: February 27, 2014, 04:37:35 pm »
The Alexandra Hotel on TV this afternoon Channel 4, a repeat of them coming last on Four In A Bed  . And tonight Channel 5.  9 pm. The Hotel Inspector. hope things have improved since the last program.  :'(

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4902 on: March 02, 2014, 08:28:47 am »
For anyone who missed The Hotel Inspector featuring the Alexandra Hotel then it is being repeated this morning at 11.50am on Channel 5.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4903 on: March 05, 2014, 08:56:48 am »
This news item appeared a couple of days ago, I'm pleased that lobbying from Forum members has helped to raise awareness of this problem. A cynical person might ask where the money allocated to pavement maintenance has been spent in previous years, being I can think of no major paving stone renewal that has taken place in the last 10 years, with the exception of the Lottery funded work around Prince Edward Square. I also recall that a large section of stone paving along the Prom was ripped up and replaced by tarmac about 2 years ago - so much for the Conservation Area!

Cracked and dangerous town centre pavements could cost up to £3m to replace, it has been revealed.

But a Conwy County Council cabinet member has taken the first step towards getting Llandudno’s shattered footways repaired.

Cllr Mike Priestley has appointed a working group of officers from various departments to come up with a strategy to remedy the problem.

He said: “We’re looking at ways of improving the streetscape, and one of the priorities has to be the maintenance and reinstatement of pavements.”

But he stressed that finding the necessary funding wouldn’t be easy.

He explained: “We have £568,000 in the budget to maintain footways throughout the county, and for 2014/15 we are able to draw down additional funding of £415,000, but that can’t all be spent on one project.

“At this stage we are preparing a report which will look at a variety of issues, including funding.

“It may well be that we can attract some money from the European Union and the Welsh Government .

“The cost of the project is currently estimated at between £2m-£3m but that may well change depending on the type of materials used and any additional works that may be required.

“We will be looking at different types of paving that are available and what would best fit in a heritage town like Llandudno. It’s important that any work carried out is of good quality.”

He said cost implications would probably mean that any work would have to be phased over a period of time.

And he pointed out that responsibility for maintaining sections of the town centre pavements lay with owners of properties fronting them.

“Business owners are responsible for sections of pavement that fall within the curtilage of that property,” he added.

Once an initial report has been prepared the county council will then consult with Llandudno Town Council, land owners Mostyn Estates, the owners of individual businesses and the Chamber of Trade to see if a partnership approach can be established.

Llandudno mayor Garry Burchett said the issue of the damaged pavements was one that had been worrying the town council for several years.

“I’m sure I speak on behalf of the town council when I say wWe welcome this plan to deal with the damaged pavements which is long overdue. It is a big step forward. The town council has appointed its own working party to look at the town’s street scene and to make recommendations for improvements, and the pavements are at the top of its list of concerns. I’m sure the town council will do what it can to help take this project forward.”

And business owner Nigel Roberts, who has a newsagents and gift shop in Gloddaeth Street, was supportive of the project, but said some businesses may have difficulty finding the funds to contribute to repairing pavements outside their properties.

“If the council is planning to  upgrade the pavements we will end up with some businesses willing to contribute, and others for reasons of their own not willing. We have to be careful that any scheme will not end up going round in circles, especially as we are still very much in somewhat lean times.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/3m-needed-replace-cracked-dangerous-6754323

Offline mull

« Reply #4904 on: March 05, 2014, 10:04:00 am »
My son who works at Highway Maintenance in Hampshire has recently completed relaying  paving in a town square that had suffered from many broken slabs.
His observation was that the worst damage had occurred outside banks and was due to heavy security vans running over the paving slabs.