Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663782 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4815 on: January 14, 2014, 01:07:47 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*

I aim to please sir ! :twoface: :twoface: :twoface:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #4816 on: January 14, 2014, 02:23:04 pm »
Reckon that might dull the teeth on that cat? :twoface:

It struck me that this is a phrase which has most likely never been used before, in the history of mankind.

There's a line in Much Ado About Nothing where Dogberry quips to Don Pedro "Forsooth good sir, for by thine actions thou hast dulled the teeth of yonder pussy".
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4817 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:18 pm »
There's a line in Much Ado About Nothing where Dogberry quips to Don Pedro "Forsooth good sir, for by thine actions thou hast dulled the teeth of yonder pussy".

No, it's not from Much Ado and certainly not from Dogberry. I don't think it's even from Shakespeare, in fact, as Shakespeare didn't use "Dulled" as such. I'll see if I can determine its provenance from the books I have here. It's interesting, since the construction "thou hast" was only used once by Shakespeare (to my knowledge) and that was in Henry VIII. Shakespeare preferred the alternate "Hast thou" as it was considered more elegant.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4818 on: January 14, 2014, 04:35:36 pm »
Has the town gone to sleep,very quiet for a new year,is there no sign of any new investment,The landlords of the Clarence must have at least one unit taken.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4819 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:03 pm »
Surely "Thou hast" denotes past tense, and "Hast thou" is enquiring if the action has occurred ?   ???
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4820 on: January 15, 2014, 06:13:35 pm »
Surely "Thou hast" denotes past tense, and "Hast thou" is enquiring if the action has occurred ?

The second was used in the interrogative to say much the same as the first, only more subtly.   "You have nicked my biscuit" as opposed to "Have you nicked my biscuit?"   ;D

I should add that there are several past tenses, and "Thou hast" and "Hast thou" are both examples of the same Perfect tense.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4821 on: January 15, 2014, 10:24:33 pm »
I regret raising the original point.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #4822 on: January 15, 2014, 10:28:57 pm »
 _))*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4823 on: January 16, 2014, 07:39:05 am »

That's what forums are all about...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4824 on: January 16, 2014, 08:31:41 am »
Surely "Thou hast" denotes past tense, and "Hast thou" is enquiring if the action has occurred ?

The second was used in the interrogative to say much the same as the first, only more subtly.   "You have nicked my biscuit" as opposed to "Have you nicked my biscuit?"   ;D

I should add that there are several past tenses, and "Thou hast" and "Hast thou" are both examples of the same Perfect tense.

Searched the whole of my Shakespeare and cannot find any reference to people nicking biscuits, either in the past, present or the future.  However if they wish to nick biscuits, it is their prerogative to do so!   Much Ado About Nothing in my book.
 "I see a wall, now will  I to the chink, to spy and hear my Thisby's face." 
Whoever writes such nonsense doesn't deserve to be read.    _))*

P.s. I do know that this is Bottom's line from the play within a play of MSND!   What an ass!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4825 on: January 16, 2014, 09:29:56 am »
I was about the say trust Yorkie to get to the bottom of things...

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4826 on: January 17, 2014, 06:59:22 pm »
walking along maesdu road today,passing the rugby field 9 conwy council guys putting the set of posts back up and they all had a wagon each ,no wonder they havent got time to fix the slabs on mostyn st . :rage:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4827 on: January 17, 2014, 08:29:55 pm »
walking along maesdu road today,passing the rugby field 9 conwy council guys putting the set of posts back up and they all had a wagon each ,no wonder they havent got time to fix the slabs on mostyn st . :rage:

That's strange Norm,  CCBC informed me that they don't have the resources to fix the damage to my property or car, due to their admitted negligence.
Nor have they or their insurers contacted me as promised.

Therefore, I have resorted to Yorkie's method of redress.   It's a shame that it has to come to that.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4828 on: January 17, 2014, 08:33:05 pm »

Only 9  >>> . We were promised 10.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4829 on: January 17, 2014, 09:41:07 pm »
Perhaps the guys at the field were not paviours and perhaps the RFC were paying or maybe their insurers.  Things are not always what they seem.