Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663949 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4710 on: December 17, 2013, 01:07:14 pm »
It's a fascinating problem, Wrex. While I'm not entirely sure Political parties have much of an effect on local councils in the main, I suspect you have a two-fold problem should you wish to eliminate party membership entirely.

The first arises because - although your idea is perfectly sane and sensible - politicians feel safer in a mob. Having to actually deal with each other on the basis of personal honesty and integrity would probably strain the poor things beyond their  breaking points.

Secondly, however, asking them to work selflessly and openly on behalf of their constituencies is a bit like asking a tank of Piranha to be nice to the goldfish. It simply isn't in the average politician's nature.

The incredible Jay and Lynn knew the consequences:

"Asking a town hall to slim down its staff is like asking an alcoholic to blow up a distillery."

"Almost anything can be attacked as a failure, but almost anything can be defended as not a significant failure. Politicians do not appreciate the significance of 'significant'. "

"Politicians have an enviable intellectual suppleness and moral maneuverability. Translation: You can't trust them further than you can throw them."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4711 on: December 17, 2013, 10:49:39 pm »
What's Llandudno like tonight?    Disappointing really.

Mrs Fester and I fancied a few drinks and something to eat.
We realised that any night leading up to Xmas was likely to be pretty busy.
How wrong could we be.

Dr Jones Bar.  They still don't have food available, (been coming soon for 6 months) ... but we had a really nice beer in there, and set off in search of foof.
The Gresham.   No food available on Tuesday night.   A nice beer consumed, and we set off elsewhere.

Mr B's.  Not open yet, but heard the owner chatting to some staff members outside, and I must admit to being a little troubled by what I overheard.    Along the lines of... 'if they order X, just give them Y, they won't know the difference anyway'

Fountains Bar.   Not a soul in apart from us.  A shame, because it was very nice in there.

The Lilly, (ex Fat Cat's).   A few nice beers, and Food available til 10pm.
Ordered the Lamb Shoulder at £11.95.   It was OK I suppose, but it really isnt lamb shoulder.  It is a rolled up 'meatloaf' type thing, with shredded lamb mixed with other stuff.

I ordered the Bacon and Cheese Burger.   (£9.95).  Not too bad, about 7/10.  But as usual the burger itself is no better than a fairground burger.  This is the key point that 95% of eateries never seem to understand. 
Make a decent ground beef or steak mince burger, as Fat Cat used to do for the some price,  and it makes you want to go back.
As it is, I am in no hurry to go back.  :(

So, a couple of night's in now I think, and look forward to Friday, when everywhere will surely be very busy.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4712 on: December 18, 2013, 08:13:24 am »
Should have stayed in and played computer games!    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4713 on: December 18, 2013, 08:37:11 am »
Had a rare trip to town for a meal on Monday and went to the Cottage Loaf following a friend's recommendation.  It was a lot better than I recall.  A good variety of food on both regular and Christmas menus and the staff are both polite and helpful.
Very pleasantly impressed with the food and will go again.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4714 on: December 18, 2013, 08:38:12 am »
Mr B's.  Not open yet, but heard the owner chatting to some staff members outside, and I must admit to being a little troubled by what I overheard.    Along the lines of... 'if they order X, just give them Y, they won't know the difference anyway'
It opens today. After all the effort they've put in to fit it out, it would be a shame if the food were not up to scratch.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #4715 on: December 18, 2013, 08:43:27 am »
but we had a really nice beer in there, and set off in search of foof.

Is that a typo or an admission of guilt  :o.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foof
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #4716 on: December 18, 2013, 08:45:46 am »
 OMG -- he had his missis with him !!!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4717 on: December 18, 2013, 09:25:28 am »
but we had a really nice beer in there, and set off in search of foof.

Is that a typo or an admission of guilt  :o.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foof
:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4718 on: December 18, 2013, 11:02:06 am »
OMG -- he had his missis with him !!!

Almost always do Nem, although I get a sneaking feeling that Dave is trying to edge her out.  :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #4719 on: December 18, 2013, 11:06:03 am »
 :-X :o :o :o

OMG That's how rumours start !! _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4720 on: December 18, 2013, 11:15:35 am »
Kindly keep your fantasies to yourself, Mr Fester.  &shake&

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4721 on: December 18, 2013, 11:36:06 am »
Its been common knowledge that DaveR and Fester are an item,always out together sampling the local cuisine and local beer lol

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4722 on: December 18, 2013, 01:39:25 pm »
Its been common knowledge that DaveR and Fester are an item,always out together sampling the local cuisine and local beer lol
It's funny you say that, as I haven't been out in the evening with Fester for many months. It might be old age, but a coffee in the afternoon is the most I manage these days.  :o

Offline systema

« Reply #4723 on: December 18, 2013, 02:15:44 pm »
It opens today. After all the effort they've put in to fit it out, it would be a shame if the food were not up to scratch.

Went past about 1.30pm - tables outside but all shut up - the menu said Cafe and Bistro Menu  e.g.  Eggs Flamenca £6.95- Home baked ham and egg with chips and peas £8.95 -  Pork and Herb Sausages with gravy and buttery mash £7.95 - Beefburger with tomato and salad on bap with chips £9.95 - Pepper, mushrooms, cheese, tomato on a bap with chips £8.95.  Soup £4.50  All I can remember - will go and have a look tonight as that is not the menu he had on the window - probably change it for a Dinner Menu later.

Went to Bodnant Farm Shop this morning and had a cheese scone to die for - would go back just for that. Too early for lunch but will try it later in the week.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4724 on: December 18, 2013, 02:35:41 pm »
Went to town today ,quite busy,many Welsh speakers,and thats when you realise Llandudno is a major shopping town for many and this is why it should be promoted at xmas by our beloved TC ,lets make a bit more of the lights,lets put some brass bands on,entertainment and make visitors and locals welcome to our town.