Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663512 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4590 on: November 17, 2013, 01:06:00 pm »
Did venture off down to the Conwy valley today  and in morning weather permitting Bodnant here we come. The colours are fantastic at the moment. My daughter went today and told me not to miss what is left of the Acers, she said they were stunning  so camera at ready. Shopping can wait a week or two  :)

Linda, I hope you made it to Bodnant. it would be great to see some photos on here if you have time. I have been trying to photograph the Acer leaves close up this morning with limited success but I will put a few attempts in the garden section.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:21:01 pm by Ian »

Offline Linda

« Reply #4591 on: November 17, 2013, 11:26:55 pm »
Did venture off down to the Conwy valley today  and in morning weather permitting Bodnant here we come. The colours are fantastic at the moment. My daughter went today and told me not to miss what is left of the Acers, she said they were stunning  so camera at ready. Shopping can wait a week or two  :)

Linda, I hope you made it to Bodnant. it would be great to see some photos on here if you have time. I have been trying to photograph the Acer leaves close up this morning with limited success but I will put a few attempts in the garden section.
Hi Hollins I did manage to get quite a few photos, though im a bit slow uploading on here, practice makes perfect but will try next day or so. Bodnant was stunning . We were so lucky with the weather too,not to cold. The Acers were amazing especially crossing the 'Ha ha' into the far field (ha ha for those who dont know is a ditch area to keep the sheep out of the gardens)I didnt know that until today  :roll:.
We went down into the dell the Hydrangeas still in full flower and the River Hiraethlyn was full and fast, work is being done on the dam by the top bridge.Repairs and some kind of way through encouraging eels and salmon to come up the river. Down  by the mill were hot drinks being served and an outdoor log brazier to warm you.  Very seasonal and most enjoyable I recommend it if anyone can get there this week before the bad weather that has been promised.

Offline hollins

« Reply #4592 on: November 18, 2013, 08:26:09 am »
I love the hydrangeas down there too. The colours are so varied as they are dying off.

Offline DVT

« Reply #4593 on: November 18, 2013, 09:20:03 am »
When I was on the Orme yesterday morning saw a small pod of dolphins (about 5 or 6) ... seemed a bit late in the year for them.  They were directly opposite the bottom of the zig-zags and visible for about 20 minutes before disappearing.

Offline DVT

« Reply #4594 on: November 18, 2013, 09:37:32 am »
Picking up on the Bodnant comments ... my father worked for the estate as electrician/plumber - a team of four men were based at the saw mill, all spent their entire working life for Bodnant estate - he started in 1935 and retired in 1985, war years and Army service intervening for a while.  For the first 5 years of my life (early 1950's) we lived in the white cottage just across the river from the mill, then moved to the house that is now next to the entrance to the Food Centre - my parents were still living there until 1998.

I grew up in the gardens, and when I was a boy my father and his mates used to fish for trout in the river that runs through the dell.  I remember seeing salmon trying to leap up the waterfall, which was just too high for them.  Eels can travel over ground so did make their way upstream having by-passed the waterfall.  As a youngster I would spend many an hour messing about in the river near to the mill, catching sticklebacks and small eels and flatfish that would come in on the head of the tide - that reached the weir by the mill, occasionally coming over.

When my own children were young (1980/1990's) we would visit my parents and spend many a Sunday evening strolling through the gardens, all quiet as no public and seeing all sorts of amazing wildlife - woodpeckers, kingfishers, herons and ducks.  My favourite part of the gardens is upstream from the main waterfall - where there is another lake, boathouse and island - I believe they will be opening that area up to the public in the future.

Last year my daughter visited the gardens with her boyfriend, it was her first visit since the day after Dad died a few years ago when we made an emotional visit to the boathouse area.  On this latest visit her boyfriend proposed to her in the pin mill - they got married last month.  The place has many memories for her, walks with her grandfather on quiet Sunday evenings and the proposal.  Really special place for myself and my family.

Offline hollins

« Reply #4595 on: November 18, 2013, 10:32:16 am »
Such a heartwarming story, thanks.

Offline Linda

« Reply #4596 on: November 18, 2013, 07:53:21 pm »
Yes lovely story and it clarifies the work down in the dell. Idyllic childhood memories. The promise of one day the area further upstream becoming public is something to look forward to . Thanks for that.

Offline Linda

« Reply #4597 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:57 pm »
When I was on the Orme yesterday morning saw a small pod of dolphins (about 5 or 6) ... seemed a bit late in the year for them.  They were directly opposite the bottom of the zig-zags and visible for about 20 minutes before disappearing.

Whow! exciting DVT  im an ardent seawatcher.  Were they bottlenose or poss harbour porpoise only its good to report sightings to Seawatch, numbers can be recorded as North Wales seems to have its fair share of sightings. The week before last a largish whale spotted off Puffin reported to be an Orca very unusual i would think. $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4598 on: November 18, 2013, 08:14:43 pm »
Until a couple of years ago there was a Toll Collector at the Zig-Zag junction and he would regularly see dolphins in that area.   Maybe they appear at certain times of the tide, so it could become a regular viewing point!   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Linda

« Reply #4599 on: November 18, 2013, 08:38:53 pm »
That would be a great tourists and crowd puller for the area as 3 times this year my friend has seen pods of around 3-4 Dolphin/porpoise in Llanddulas when the mackerel were in. I saw them last year in midsummer off Old Colwyn swimming and breaching towards the Rainbow bridge area and Llanddulas. My friend also saw them the same afternoon. In 2011 we were convinced we saw a basking shark  as was seen also in Penrhryn bay by a man in a canoe. We watched this creature for an hour or so very slowly swimming back and forth nose tip and dorsal showing. So whey hey! some great creatures to look out for.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4600 on: November 18, 2013, 09:33:19 pm »

I was standing in the same area a few weeks ago watching the Cambrian Rally alongside some marshalls and we saw them then.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4601 on: November 19, 2013, 05:34:05 pm »
I was walking along Mostyn St early this afternoon and, right in front of me, an older lady tripped on the uneven paving stones and fell headfirst into the road. I helped get her back onto her feet and she was obviously very distressed by it all.

The state of  the pavements is absolutely terrible and incidents like this are all too common. I've seen no substantial repairs to the Mostyn St pavements in the last ten years and the condition of them is just getting worse and worse. How about we get the basics dealt with before spending millions on white elephants like the Watersports centre?

When I was in Southport the other week, the pavements in Lord St were absolutely immaculate - such a contrast with shabby Llandudno.

Offline Dave

« Reply #4602 on: November 19, 2013, 06:27:32 pm »

Harbour Porpoise as seen off the Little Orme August 2010.
A pod with youngsters.
They are far more frequently seen than lots realise.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4603 on: November 19, 2013, 06:28:46 pm »
Can I ask if the Lady is going to file a complaint?  I have had lots of correspondence with CCBC on Highways matters and another complaint could help in getting things done.  :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4604 on: November 19, 2013, 07:49:10 pm »
I was going to winge about the xmas lights but now i suppose we had better get the towns buisnesses sorting out the pavements,they pay enought rates