Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663663 times)

Offline Dave

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4575 on: November 15, 2013, 05:37:28 pm »
Must admit I am amazed at the lack of presence marketing surrounding the GB Rally. Some pathetic bunting and a couple of missable posters. Who, if anybody,is sponsoring the event because they aren't getting much of a return.

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #4576 on: November 15, 2013, 05:38:35 pm »
Yorkie, Conwys increasing number of events, Closes The High Street at least monthly, its a joke.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4577 on: November 15, 2013, 05:45:03 pm »
Yorkie, Conwys increasing number of events, Closes The High Street at least monthly, its a joke.

Wow!  That's a lot of things going on.    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #4578 on: November 15, 2013, 07:26:16 pm »
Linda - I went to Chester by bus once - it took me 3 hours but I saw a lot of placs I never knew existed!!  Good luck ;)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4579 on: November 15, 2013, 08:33:08 pm »
Linda - I went to Chester by bus once - it took me 3 hours but I saw a lot of placs I never knew existed!!  Good luck ;)

Change at Rhyl if using Bus Pass.   You can go by National Express from the Coach Park, but that costs!   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Linda

« Reply #4580 on: November 15, 2013, 09:33:12 pm »
Thanks White Rabbit 3 hours quite long, but i suppose free and if your not in a hurry ,like you say sit back and enjoy.

Change at Rhyl if using Bus Pass.   You can go by National Express from the Coach Park, but that costs!   ZXZ
A good alternative ,use pass to Rhyl and then National express. probably still cheaper than fuel at the pump.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4581 on: November 16, 2013, 07:22:03 am »
You can use your pass all the way to Chester, but have to change buses at Rhyl.   :D
Cicero

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4582 on: November 16, 2013, 04:33:07 pm »
I'm always amased about the amount of moaing people do, when the town puts on an event, bringing people and their money into the area.
Anyone would think we were a tourist resort.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4583 on: November 16, 2013, 04:55:49 pm »
I'm always amased about the amount of moaing people do, when the town puts on an event, bringing people and their money into the area.

What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander!  One man's meat is another man's poison.  And so it goes on!  It' not MOAING (sic) it is just a difference of opinion and it would be a sorry World if everyone agreed with everything.   :D

Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #4584 on: November 16, 2013, 05:02:13 pm »

An hour ago, I called into the Tourist Information.

Nobody knew for sure which way round the Great Orme the rally cars are travelling tomorrow.

No idea what will be down Mostyn Street after 6pm tonight and all day tomorrow except that is where the finish is and there will be entertainment from 1pm.

No idea where one can purchase a £15 ticket for tomorrows' Great Orme Special Stage.

Do we deserve to still be a tourist resort?

Offline Dave

« Reply #4585 on: November 16, 2013, 05:17:15 pm »
All the information for tickets is available on the web site... provided you have access !

http://www.walesrallygb.com/spectators/how_to_buy.php

The direction of travel is also on there....provided you know which way round they went last year. It  tells you that this time they are going the opposite way which I have a feeling is the "wrong way" i.e. from West Shore .
As previously stated, I think their marketing is very poor. The little on show in terms of bannering etc is pathetic, there is absolutely no atmosphere of an event taking place what so ever.

What's wrong with Llandudno. We don't seem to let people know what's happening here at all.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4586 on: November 16, 2013, 05:38:59 pm »
Dave, I visited Venue Cymru on Thursday morning and the Wales Rally GB staff could only sell me a one day £33 ticket for tomorrow.

They could not sell me a £15 ticket for the Great Orme.

In fact, they informed me the £15 ticket will eventually entitle me to a free programme (£7.50) and parking (£5).

I am not convinced either is correct.

Thursday’s Daily Post rally reporter stated tickets for £15 plus a booking fee are available but she did not state where from.

I am doing my best to support the event but I am beginning to wonder if it is really worth it.

It is interesting you suggesting they will be going round clockwise from the West Shore because the Tourist Information plumped for past the Grand Hotel.

Offline Jack

« Reply #4587 on: November 16, 2013, 07:58:50 pm »
I saw a copy of the £7-50 official programme before.  The route is definitely the opposite way round the Orme - the map isn't great but the start seems to be somewhere around the 'Concrete' Road near the Rest and be Thankful finishing by the Toll Gate by the pier.  Parking seems to be above St Tudno's Church and the programme stated that this was private land and so £5 to park.

Seems that this stage is at about 1pm and then a free event with fire breathers and stilt walkers on Mostyn Street from 1-3pm.

Instant coffee is £1-80 and a 4oz burger is £4-00 and with cheese £4-20!!

Offline DVT

« Reply #4588 on: November 16, 2013, 08:50:45 pm »
Wales Rally GB ... final stage (number 22) Great Orme.

Start is at the little quarry just up from the shelter which is just up from Llys Helig Drive.  The stage runs the "wrong way round" to finish just before the toll gate, then cars go past the Grand Hotel to the ceremonial finish in Mostyn Street.  They actually still have to then drive back to Deeside for the "real" final control.

Marshals need to be signed on by 0930.  Timing gear is due at 1001, FIA Media at 1151 and the Spectator Control Car at 1201.  Stewards will be checking things at 1221 and then first Course Car (000) ar 1221, followed by the FIA Safety Team at (1231).  Course Car 00 will be at at 1241, Flying Course Car (a Volvo!) car 0 will be at 1256 with the first competitor at 1301.

You do need tickets to get onto the Orme, then there is an additional £5 to park in the field above the churchyard (that's nothing to do with the event, it is what the farmer charges).

However, as you are all local and don't mind a walk I'm sure you will find a two-fotted route past the securuty guards and also not take your car so can avoid paying to park!!!

Viewing can be had at the bottom of the Tank Tracks where I think there will be commentary, possibly also from Rest and Be Thankful although crossing will be limited.  Or if you come down the zig-zags below the church join me on radio duty as that is where I should be!!!

I was told a few weeks ago that the town would be plastered with posters and information - so I cannot say why that has failed or why those that should know don't.

You now know almost as much about the event as I do!!!  Enjoy, and if you do see me say hello!

Offline Linda

« Reply #4589 on: November 16, 2013, 09:21:48 pm »
You can use your pass all the way to Chester, but have to change buses at Rhyl.   :D

Thanks for information,will give it a try. when im not so busy with packing and stuff. Did venture off down to the Conwy valley today  and in morning weather permitting Bodnant here we come. The colours are fantastic at the moment. My daughter went today and told me not to miss what is left of the Acers, she said they were stunning  so camera at ready. Shopping can wait a week or two  :)