Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663708 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4485 on: October 26, 2013, 07:10:38 pm »
Thank god they have the extravaganza or they would have nothing,thats simple.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4486 on: October 26, 2013, 08:10:29 pm »
Thank god they have the extravaganza or they would have nothing,thats simple.

The live music scene is better in Colwyn Bay and Rhyl. Why is that you ask? Simple I answer: because landlords there are happy to put on bands regularly for young people - I mean proper bands, playing their own stuff, not one twit with an acoustic guitar singing Keane songs on a Saturday night!

Landlords in Llandudno are more concerned with filling their pubs with tables, so they can charge unwitting tourists plenty for their overrated food. The pubs are emptier than Katie Price's head during the winter, because the pub owners  are literally clueless on other ideas to fill their pub.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4487 on: October 26, 2013, 10:25:33 pm »
Cross Keys do have bands as do the Town house so that is a little unfair.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4488 on: October 26, 2013, 10:58:09 pm »

Oh yes they do, to be fair they do their bit. But go back even just ten years ago and it was a LOT better.
Just off the top of my head I remember live music (on more than one night of the week) in the Washington, Cottage loaf, CK, Town House, Parade, The Gresham (under it's multiple names back then) even the Victoria used to have a live singer now and again.

Offline Yelboh

« Reply #4489 on: October 27, 2013, 08:12:58 am »
My goodness!  Opinion is certainly hotting up re the Alice trail over on Oscar at the moment.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4490 on: October 27, 2013, 08:45:02 am »
Gresh had a sax player friday nite and we really enjoyed,the Mostyh Cambridge has Spanish guitar while u eat at the weekend.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4491 on: October 27, 2013, 11:42:14 am »
The discussion on Oscar about a Sunday market has made me think what a good idea,it was kicked out by the town council many years ago,maybe its time for a change or what.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4492 on: October 27, 2013, 01:23:22 pm »
Gresh had a sax player friday nite and we really enjoyed,the Mostyh Cambridge has Spanish guitar while u eat at the weekend.

The town has lost the plot where the youth are concerned

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4493 on: October 27, 2013, 01:29:46 pm »
Can;t force the pubs to have groups,not sure how many go to Colwyn Bay for a nite out but i do know that if they want clubs they now go to Bangor or the english cities.Don;t get me wrong, we can;t force anybody to open a niteclub in Llandudno its just a shame our youth are being forced out of town.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4494 on: October 27, 2013, 02:43:32 pm »
Can;t force the pubs to have groups,not sure how many go to Colwyn Bay for a nite out but i do know that if they want clubs they now go to Bangor or the english cities.Don;t get me wrong, we can;t force anybody to open a niteclub in Llandudno its just a shame our youth are being forced out of town.

If young people want crappy nightclub music there have 147. If young people want to see a band they have nowhere.
This could well be why North Wales hasn't produced a band of any note whatsoever since the Alarm in about 1982

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4495 on: October 27, 2013, 04:03:42 pm »
I did hear from a reliable source that the Llandudno Town Council have put into operation contingency plans in case there is inclement weather on the day of the Annual (waste of money) Fireworks Display.   Apparently if there is any sign of bad conditions including wind or rain, they will move the display to another location, being the site of an underused County Council asset, namely Venue Cymru!

They understand that there have been numerous complaints regarding under-use of the facility and consider it as an ideal location for the event, being dry, undercover, well staffed and with plenty of spectator space.
 <:<:<:<
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Dave

« Reply #4496 on: October 27, 2013, 06:00:42 pm »

Oh yes they do, to be fair they do their bit. But go back even just ten years ago and it was a LOT better.
Just off the top of my head I remember live music (on more than one night of the week) in the Washington, Cottage loaf, CK, Town House, Parade, The Gresham (under it's multiple names back then) even the Victoria used to have a live singer now and again.
If they were making money why aren't they still doing it ?

Offline nwpo

« Reply #4497 on: October 28, 2013, 11:24:29 am »
If they were making money why aren't they still doing it ?
[/quote]

Because the the previous Government decided in their infinite wisdom to change the licensing laws so that instead of allowing 2 people to perform without needing an Temporary Event license, you needed a license regardless of whether you were playing Wembley stadium or the local pub to one man and his dog.

Thankfully, the present Government acted upon the report made by Fergal Sharkey and repealed it, so now, you don't need a license provided the audience is below 200 and the entertainment is between 8am and 11pm in a licensed premises.

The phenomenal success of the Battle of the Band's put on by The Laundry Studios at Engedi Arts in Colwyn Bay, has lead to TLS putting on more live music by real bands aimed at the youngsters and - importantly - run by the youngsters through the charitable arm Action for Arts (declaration - I'm a trustee).

The Battle of the Bands was put on with free admission.  If we could find a venue in Llandudno that would help with the space, I'm sure we'd love to do more.

Offline Dave

« Reply #4498 on: October 28, 2013, 04:53:56 pm »
Thanks for the explanation. Very interesting.Why don't the previous venues restore their music night ?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4499 on: October 28, 2013, 05:44:42 pm »
                   I've just come in from a neighbour's house and noticed that "Four in a bed" was on the TV there (Channel 4 at 5.pm all this week), and one of the B&B owners  featured this week is John Humberstone of the Alexandra Hotel, Llandudno, (complete with full scaffolding!) which will presumably be featured sometime later on this week.