Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663432 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4470 on: October 24, 2013, 05:40:52 pm »
No,a tourist town is there to attract tourists and fill the place so locals can make money,thats the reason many people moved here in the first place,if you want quiet well.

You are totally incorrect, Wrex.  Llandudno was originally conceived as a resort for the people to escape to and relax and recover for a couple of weeks a year from the work and toil of their everyday lives.  The Promenade by its name designates the simple act of promenading.  In those early times there were no steam fairs, seasonal markets or transport festivals.  Entertainment was the Arcadia and other theatres and the pier?

So?????  What now?   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4471 on: October 24, 2013, 05:46:48 pm »
MarkJ you will find there are people in this town who hate to see it busy and the thought of a dirty old market bringing in people,god forbid,but then there are some of us who like seeing the town busy and if we want quiet we can go up Conwy mountain.

I don't mind the town being busy, but I would like to have use of the pavements and roads myself occasionally.  There was a Market in the town, a covered, regular market at that.  Why was it removed?  Forward thinking Councillors no doubt!   :D

Why all the empty shops and plethora of Charity shops, Wrex?  Answer that little conundrum!   :P
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4472 on: October 24, 2013, 09:27:16 pm »
You want me to explain why there are empty shops,is that the ones in Llandudno or the ones in every town.I think you would be better asking your local county councillor.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4473 on: October 24, 2013, 09:46:46 pm »
I'd never claim to be any sort of expert on these things but surely there will always be a certain number of empty shops (and offices for that matter) in any town in any part of the country.  Some of the reasons could be: leases expire, people retire, demand for products wanes, businesses relocate to larger (or smaller) premises, poor judgement leads to insolvency etc. I don't think Llandudno compares unfavourably with any other similar towns.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4474 on: October 25, 2013, 12:16:34 am »
Today, I have to take my hat off to CCBC for a change.

A week or two ago, houses on The Great Orme were informed by leaflet that there would be an Environmental Action Day.
The benefit of this for me personally was that two HUGE skips were deposited on Tyn y-Coed Road and were there to collect any kind of household things to get rid of.  Old furniture, carpets, electricals, garden waste, anything.
They were also there to do graffiti removal and a whole host of other clean up jobs.  It was a task force of about 8 guys.

Now, once I arrived with my first of many barrow loads of stuff I have long wanted to get rid of, they immediately despatched a small truck down to my house, (and many others) to handle the stuff themselves.
This was a god-send to me, because I was able to set off to work earlier than I had expected.
Nothing was too much trouble for them and they told me that many other such events are planned throughout Conwy County.  Maybe they already happen, I'm not sure.

Whatever the situation, I was very glad of the service, and I urge anyone, if it comes to your neighbourhood, take advantage of it! $good$ $good$

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4475 on: October 25, 2013, 08:17:15 am »
You want me to explain why there are empty shops,is that the ones in Llandudno or the ones in every town.I think you would be better asking your local county councillor.

You keep telling us that all these various "events" bring trade and well being to the town.  If this town is like every other one in the Country with empty shops, it just shows how unsuccessful they have been.

On another earlier point - when I came to Llandudno, none of these events were in being, and have sprung up over the past few (someone will say how many) years!   So you see I did come to embrace what the town had to offer in the way of it being a quiet, peaceful, relaxing place to live.   :P
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4476 on: October 25, 2013, 08:59:47 am »
Whatever the situation, I was very glad of the service, and I urge anyone, if it comes to your neighbourhood, take advantage of it!

It's quite a regular feature in the villages throughout Conwy.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4477 on: October 25, 2013, 02:12:55 pm »
Today, I have to take my hat off to CCBC for a change.

Whatever the situation, I was very glad of the service, and I urge anyone, if it comes to your neighbourhood, take advantage of it! $good$ $good$

I personally think you should pay to get rid of your own junk!!  ???
Years ago when I lived in Mochdre I had to wait well over a week and pay about £50 for the council to come up and take a sofa from me. I assume this is to stop fly tippers and the like? Surely the way to do that is to catch and fine the culprits not have people come round and collect everything for free - sure my hard earned tax money could be better spent  &shake&
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:12:49 pm by Ian »

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4478 on: October 25, 2013, 04:21:16 pm »
We will have to agree too disagree,being born in the town i remember the very first extravaganza and thinking thank god somebody has brought a bit of life to town if only for one weekend.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4479 on: October 25, 2013, 04:22:58 pm »
We will have to agree too disagree,being born in the town i remember the very first extravaganza and thinking thank god somebody has brought a bit of life to town if only for one weekend.

I remember it well.  But the first, and many subsequent Extravaganzas, were not as big, brash and noisy as those of recent years.  Or closed down the centre and surrounding streets of the town.  The parade was led by a smart chap (Craig Cameron) in his stove pipe hat, and all around town were people promenading in Victorian costume and various other impedimenta.    A great time had by all in relative peace and tranquility! 
 ;D
Cicero

Offline MarkJ

« Reply #4480 on: October 25, 2013, 04:50:28 pm »
I expected sleepless nights for the Victorian extravaganza given that there was a chair swing ride right outside my bedroom window, but it was actually surprisingly quiet once everything stopped operating. Not exactly the noisy event that I had been led to believe it would be.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4481 on: October 25, 2013, 04:56:13 pm »
I remember it well.  But the first, and many subsequent Extravaganzas, were not as big, brash and noisy as those of recent years.

That was because we were able to keep only the original fairground people and not allow in the more modern attractions.  In the early events, too, the Police were more cautious about which streets could be closed and when. But the fairground operators work under very strict 'rules' between themselves, and the problems started - I seem to remember - when the modern rides were allowed in on Bodafon.

Craig was quite good as a parade Marshall, but I think Murray Radcliffe was better.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4482 on: October 25, 2013, 11:53:31 pm »
Just been to the Snowden,Gresh and Cooneys what a laught x

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4483 on: October 26, 2013, 05:36:15 pm »
The town has lost the plot where the youth are concerned,they have lost both their nite clubs and Venue Cymru Arena has failed them with nothing going on,who is going to do something for the young of Llandudno.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4484 on: October 26, 2013, 05:48:14 pm »
The town has lost the plot where the youth are concerned,they have lost both their nite clubs and Venue Cymru Arena has failed them with nothing going on,who is going to do something for the young of Llandudno.

Maybe if all the effort put into the Extravaganza, and all the other distractions I have previously mentioned, was re-directed to doing something for the Youth of the area, there would be no problem!  Or is that solution a bit too simple?    :D
Cicero