Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664248 times)

Offline andyCYD

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3900 on: June 30, 2013, 11:24:37 am »
Lots of people cheering us triathlon competitors on all around the course yesterday. I didn't notice any major problems on the roads. Several tourists talked to me before and after, saying how much they had enjoyed watching.

So a few deck chairs didn't get used.

Town was busy. Most people were happy. Can we say it was a success for the town?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3901 on: June 30, 2013, 02:33:24 pm »
Still waiting to see how the local buisnesses did.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3902 on: June 30, 2013, 09:06:12 pm »
It was good to see that the parking restrictions around North Parade and Happy Valley were entirely ignored!   $good$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline carwyn

« Reply #3903 on: July 04, 2013, 01:51:10 am »
In her email, she wrote there had been an “antagonised attempt to force me from the Town House pub.

Personally, there would need to be an 'antagonised attempt' to get me into the Town House...  :laugh:  :laugh:

That may be your personal opinion,  however lets not forget the Town House has up held Best Bar None, Best Pub in Conwy And Denbighshire since 2010, awarded by a committee that consists of Conwy Licencing Authority,  North Wales Policeand the Community Safety. This is awarded to the best run premises.for their commitment to safety and customer care.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3904 on: July 04, 2013, 08:03:54 am »
Different strokes for different folks. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3905 on: July 04, 2013, 08:22:46 am »
Some useful advice for this time of year!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/shortcuts/2013/jul/02/how-to-survive-seagull-attack

It's no joke, being attacked by a seagull. Pensioners have been hospitalised, blood gushing from cut heads. Others have been knocked to the ground, breaking bones. Small dogs have bled to death, children's lips been sliced open, and an elderly man died of a heart attack following a particularly vicious assault in his back garden (3). News that the Royal Mail has temporarily halted deliveries to an otherwise peaceful Cornish cul-de-sac because of the danger should come as no big surprise; it's happened before.

A diving herring gull is a missile: special attack talon on the heel, razor-sharp two-inch beak, 1.4-metre wingspan, more than a kilo of angry bird travelling at 65kph. No wonder there's blood. And there are more and more of them, at least in built-up areas: Britain's urban gull population – thriving on takeaway scraps, open-topped litter bins and landfill sites to scavenge from, and wide ledges and flat rooftops to nest on – is growing by 20% a year. Seagulls can live for up to 40 years, and their survival rate in cities is 95%.

They have, consequently, become less afraid of us. Often, we positively encourage them: leaving leftovers on tables, even feeding them (despite an abundance of notices, particularly in seaside towns, imploring us not to).The problem has become so acute that some towns have turned to deterrents such as hawks, netting, egg-oiling, high-frequency sound systems, rooftop spikes, electrified wires and even ersatz eggs (5). Killing or harming most seagulls is illegal without a permit: while urban populations are increasing, gull numbers overall are in decline.

Swooping gulls can be annoying at the best of times, but at this time of year they can be positively dangerous. From mid-May to late July, when fledglings have hatched but are not yet able to fly, adult gulls become highly territorial and protective of their young. If you get too close, they will use a variety of tactics to try to drive you away.

First comes the "gag call" – a low, repeated warning call that essentially means: Go away. Next is the low pass, within a metre or two of the intruder's head. Then aerial operations commence. Phase one is bombardment: gulls target the perceived threat with droppings and vomit. Phase two is all-out attack – usually a low, raking strike to the back of the head with talons extended.

Once things get to this stage, obviously, there's not a lot you can do beyond duck and try shield your head. Best advice? Keep your eyes and ears open, and learn what the gulls are trying to tell you. Our ignorance of their warnings is their greatest weapon.

Offline BMD

« Reply #3906 on: July 04, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »
Yes, useful advice. I have gulls nesting in a valley gutter of my roof at the moment, and I'd planned to do some work on the outside of some windows fairly close to the nest. I think I'll postpone that task.

A lot of the Victorian architecture in the region seems perfect for gulls - almost tailor-made for them, with large ledges they can perch on etc. I guess urban gulls weren't a big problem in the 1890s.

I wish that peregrine falcon that sometimes visits Colwyn Bay pier would come and perch on my roof occasionally.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3907 on: July 04, 2013, 09:21:36 pm »
in mosyn street today an elderly couple [visitors] the old chap dropped the cellophane wrapper of his sweet ,whoosh NO not a seagull but one of the prats the council have bought in read his rights and slapped him with a £ 75 FINE , oh yes loads of paper bags /paper blowing along but sod that , ppor sods thats about half a weeks pension gone .

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3908 on: July 04, 2013, 11:18:55 pm »
Seems out of all proportion! How do they fine you anyway? What's to stop you giving a false name and address? Don't get me wrong, I hate litter, but can they not ask you to pick it up first?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3909 on: July 04, 2013, 11:39:21 pm »
I would have thought that being stopped in the first place would make you feel shamed enough without having to pay a fine. The world is going mad

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3910 on: July 05, 2013, 01:07:26 am »
I would have thought that being stopped in the first place would make you feel shamed enough without having to pay a fine. The world is going mad

The world is indeed going mad Bri,  only last week Dave and I were having a beer and a friend of mine told us what he had seen near Bog Island earlier.
Basically, a baby in a pushchair had inadvertently lost its dummy on the floor, and the parents did not immediately notice.
But the CCBC enforcement officers did.... swooped, and slapped the parents with a £75 fine!    Those looking on were incensed, as I am right now just by thinking about it.
The fine was administered nonetheless.   $angry$ $angry$

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3911 on: July 05, 2013, 06:59:39 am »
Lets have a protest on Aug 10 against CCBC polocies,we knowthere will be plenty of onlookers and it will give the police(100 i doubt)something to do,unfortunately we might not be able to go for a drink after but never mind.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3912 on: July 05, 2013, 07:38:39 am »
But how do these officers know who you are? It's not like a car with a number plate?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3913 on: July 05, 2013, 07:57:23 am »
But the CCBC enforcement officers did.... swooped, and slapped the parents with a £75 fine!    Those looking on were incensed, as I am right now just by thinking about it.

I wonder if the baby qualifies for legal aid?  L0L

Seriously, the XFOR people are probably being incentive-led and it's easier to confront parents of babies and old people rather than dog owners and teenage litterers. Kingston Security took XFOR over when the latter went into administration the month before last.  I've never seen these people;  does anyone have a photo of them?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3914 on: July 05, 2013, 08:04:47 am »
Seems like they are:

May 2013:

"The private company Xfor pioneered fining-on-commission arrangements with local authorities. For every £75 fine issued - for littering, or offences including leafleting without a licence, or walking a dog in a no-dog zone - the company pocketed £45.

Xfor denied that individual officers were paid commission. But now that the company has been purchased by Kingdom Security ltd, some of its officers have spoken out about its incentive schemes.

An anonymous officer who patrolled in South Wales said: “We had to give out four tickets a day and for any over that we would receive £5-a-ticket bonus.”

This is a clear personal incentive for the officers to give out as many tickets as possible, at any possible opportunity - hence the cases of people being fined for dropping a thread of cotton, a matchstick, some nut shells, and so on.

Whenever officers have a personal incentive to punish, injustice and corruption is bound to result. The heart of the problem is the councils farming their residents out to companies - and caring only for the receipts that roll in - which shows an indifference to justice and a corrosion of public service. "

The Manifesto Club
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.