Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664336 times)

Offline Cat Stevens

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3810 on: June 13, 2013, 09:34:42 am »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3811 on: June 13, 2013, 09:52:45 am »
Armed police on the move again Wednesday Afternoon
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/armed-police-swoop-knifeman-llandudno-4307049
One of the 'benefits & cider' brigade, no doubt....

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3812 on: June 13, 2013, 10:24:08 am »
Mike is right, wrex, and I often wonder who has the responsibility of correcting  the time and is there a call-out charge every time?

I went past the building today and it appeared to have UPVC windows. 
It seems that it is ok for Mostyn Estates to break the rules that they originally set but not for anyone else.

Hugo, I worked in that building from the 2 January 1967 until 30 March 1973 and I have no recollection of Upvc windows.

I think the building was built by Frank Tyldsley and I would imagine they were wooden windows in those days.

I certainly don't remember them being white in colour.

They are certainly white now Bri and did look like UPVC but I must admit that I didn't pick up those glasses from specsavers so I'll take a closer look next time I go pass.     :-[

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3813 on: June 13, 2013, 10:42:14 am »
The point I am trying to make, Hugo, is that if the building was first built with brown wooden windows and they have since been replaced by white Upvc windows then it maybe unfair to blame Mostyn Estates on this occasion.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3814 on: June 13, 2013, 10:47:23 am »
To be fair, all the buildings I've seen that Mostyn Estates have bought recently (1 Mostyn Street etc) have all had the original hardwood windows retained when the building was refurbished.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3815 on: June 13, 2013, 11:45:34 am »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3816 on: June 13, 2013, 12:00:03 pm »
Armed police on the move again Wednesday Afternoon
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/armed-police-swoop-knifeman-llandudno-4307049
One of the 'benefits & cider' brigade, no doubt....

oooh -- careful ! :o
I saw who owned the property, not renowned for the quality of his tenants...

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3817 on: June 13, 2013, 12:42:48 pm »
I was reading a report on this sort of thing recently and the dire state of nightclubs these days.  It seems that people just don't go to nightclubs in the numbers they used to anymore and are quite happy staying in late bars (probably why places like the 147 seems to do OK).  To be honest, Broadway used to charge as much as some of the large clubs in London to get in and for the venue and the clientele there, it simply wasn't worth it much of the time.

As for young people going to Bangor, L'pool and Manc...well, they always have done and they always will.  Things like birthdays and other occasions, yes people do, I know I did. I think to suggest that every weekend there will be an exodus to those places isn't being realistic.  Most people haven't got the money to afford the transport every weekend and won't be bothered spending an hour drunk in a taxi or coach at 2am coming home on a weekly basis.  They will still come out in Llandudno, just stay up town later. 

I think someone will come along and open somewhere else, it's too good an opportunity to miss.  In some respects there are certainly better bars up town than in the early-mid 90s, when there was no Wethers, Fat Cat/Lilly, Fountains, 147 etc. Granted there was Bartons/Annabelles (which was good), but others such as Speaks were a bit past it by then.

I am just saying essentially that 'twas ever thus and I doubt it's the end of Llandudno's nightlife as we know it, things are always up and down some place or other...

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3818 on: June 13, 2013, 12:44:22 pm »
The banners do make it rather obvious !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3819 on: June 13, 2013, 06:36:51 pm »
The point I am trying to make, Hugo, is that if the building was first built with brown wooden windows and they have since been replaced by white Upvc windows then it maybe unfair to blame Mostyn Estates on this occasion.

You are right Bri and in that case I can't blame Mostyn Estates for that     :-[     I'll just blame them for allowing a Victorian property to be demolished and replaced with a carbuncle just like they did when they allowed Boots to be built after Zion Chapel was demolished (along with their own office)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3820 on: June 13, 2013, 07:31:10 pm »
Now they are different stories altogether.   :-}}}

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #3821 on: June 14, 2013, 08:26:27 am »
Will the closure of Broadway and the end of the washington mean there will be more activity into the early hours up and around upper Mostyn street. And should this be an issue for local residents and police to bear in mind.
Further more as trade will now be centred on one area in particular should the council consider introducing the Early Morning Trading Levy.;

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3822 on: June 14, 2013, 12:02:24 pm »
My god they are all struggling to stay open and we want to put a levy on them,please lets not lose what we have left.

Offline Jonty Hammers

« Reply #3823 on: June 14, 2013, 03:18:31 pm »
Quite a shame to see Broadway gone. I bitched about the clientele and the state of the carpets as much as anyone else did, but all other things aside, it was good to have a decently-sized club in the Town. Music wasn't among my tip-tops, but still always found it fun. Especially during the summer, where you'd spend much of the evening running into mates at the Cottage Loaf, Whetherspoons, Club 147 et al only for everyone to migrate down towards the Boulevard as the night got later. All things said, the atmosphere very rarely disappointed and it did make for some good nights out.

Fountains and Club 147, of course, remain - but I don't think they're quite as "big" as Broadway was, in terms of the size of its dancefloor (though chances are I'm wrong, and I'd be happy to be proven so). "Young" types such as myself will now have to head further afield for more big clubby experiences, and Ian48 is right in his estimation that this won't happen all the time. The price of a night out is becoming prohibitive pretty much anywhere, and as such it's pointed more and more towards special occasions worth going out for.

Also, heartily second Ian48's statement that this isn't the end - just an inevitable lull. Cycles and all that.

As for what pubs in Llandudno ought to do - I can't see why they really ought to change. The quietness is a real b****r, but apart from that, the atmosphere in the vast part of them is always decent (except for the more apparently "private" ones where regulars have set up a terrifying clique, suggesting that if you order the Wrong Ale or ask them to turn off the football on the telly, they'll take you out back and burn you in a big Wicker Man). And all things considered, the pubs can't really do much more to encourage people into town. Slightly cheerier employees and staff always helps, but I don't want that to sound as though many of the pubs in town are in need of it. Much of the time I've been out in Llandudno, by and large, all pub employees have been helpful and prompt. Even the poor beleagured buggers at Wethers, who would have a right to be irky, given the vast amount of prats they have to face on a weekendly basis.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3824 on: June 14, 2013, 03:43:07 pm »
Yeah I agree with you Jonty.  I mean, coming to think of it, what did people say when the Winter Gardens closed or Paynes Cafe Royal, or Annabelles? Those places would have been viewed equally as disastrous as Broadway closing (if not more so in the case of Winters I would have thought).  I'm sure there'll be a solution to all this, just as there was when those others closed...