Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663502 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3600 on: March 30, 2013, 10:55:28 pm »
In my opinion that was not a busy day for an Easter Saturday.   It seemed very quiet indeed,
The Pier had long periods of being semi-deserted, and the promenade hardly had any people on it all day.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3601 on: March 31, 2013, 05:27:40 pm »
Nice round of golf this afternoon up the Orme,Ormegolf was having a day off so it was in the capable hands of his son-law i think,then we saw Mrs Fester walking up the orme as we where stuck in traffic,im very glad to see the cablecar lads have had 2 good days and they are still running now.Town did;nt look to busy but the car parks where full so it must have been.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3602 on: March 31, 2013, 06:40:59 pm »
Nice round of golf this afternoon up the Orme,Ormegolf was having a day off so it was in the capable hands of his son-law i think,then we saw Mrs Fester walking up the orme as we where stuck in traffic,im very glad to see the cablecar lads have had 2 good days and they are still running now.Town did;nt look to busy but the car parks where full so it must have been.

Also had a game today - and played much better! I'm getting quite addicted to the game already looking forward to my next game  8)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3603 on: March 31, 2013, 08:08:07 pm »
two members of the forum on the course at more or less the same time. Thanks to both of you.
   But Wrex I don't know who told you (wink wink) but I wasn't having a day off. Jez offered to help over the weekend so of course I said yes, by all means. But there really wasn't enough work for two of us so I slunk off to one of the local cafes!!! So, I look forward to when we may meet face to face Mike

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3604 on: March 31, 2013, 11:48:17 pm »
Another forum tournament this year? As long as it's not in work time I'll be there and Fester has promised me the drinks are on him in the King's head ( $good$)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3605 on: April 04, 2013, 03:24:56 pm »
Looks like Anwyl are going to make a shed full of money off Dawnus for useing pen morfa,if im right i think it is something to do with a new outlet on the beach.Arriva buses are now in their new home with Alpine on builders st.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3606 on: April 05, 2013, 11:04:02 am »
Oscar had a story on thr extravaganza,its vanished,very strange,anyway what has happened to the sand on the town beach,just driven past the ski jump on colwyn prom and the beach looks great,will some one explain to me how or why Colwyn is getting thousands of tons of sand and our town beach is full of pebbles.

Offline Linda

« Reply #3607 on: April 05, 2013, 11:35:08 am »
Colwyn Bay new beach is part of the new sea defence. The promenade is very quickly diteriating and the sea could undermine the railway and buildings on the prom. In recent weeks the sea has covered the road in certain places between the pier and Rhos as it does in Old Colwyn so something had to be done quickly, hopefully the sand will keep the sea away( until its washed back into the sea) hopefully not lol , but will also create a pleasant area instead of high rocks lining the promenade like we have at Penrhryn bay. I agree sand would have been lovely at Llandudno instead of pebbles, have the pebbles always been there or were they brought in to create a defence. It would be worth a try to get more sand near the pier  if it will stay there.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3608 on: April 05, 2013, 08:55:41 pm »
 I don't know if anybody noticed but the pipeline which brings the sand in from the dredger to the shore was assembled on Llandudno's prom and then towed around the Little Orme.
 Maybe raising a few hopes in Llandudno?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3609 on: April 05, 2013, 09:56:42 pm »
I don't know if anybody noticed but the pipeline which brings the sand in from the dredger to the shore was assembled on Llandudno's prom and then towed around the Little Orme.
 Maybe raising a few hopes in Llandudno?

All I can say Mike is that I hope that they haven't taken the sand from the Constable Bank or otherwise it won't be the deep sand that Llandudno finds itself in.     

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3610 on: April 06, 2013, 08:35:22 am »
They shouldn't have, Hugo; Constable is only about 4 - 5 miles off Rhyl, extending Westward, and the Dredgers are working much further North and in deeper water, from what I can see.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3611 on: April 06, 2013, 11:06:13 am »
I can see the boat coming in every day to unload its cargo of sand and as I'm typing I can see it unloading the sand.   The boat comes in from the North West of Colwyn Bay and does go out way past the existing wind farms but they are supposedly, according to planning on the Rhyl flats.
I suppose these consultants know what they are doing and are getting the sand from areas that won't affect the coastline but then again CCBC employed consultants for the sea defence on the West Shore and look what happened.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3612 on: April 06, 2013, 12:39:19 pm »
That's true...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3613 on: April 06, 2013, 01:49:56 pm »
I'm just reading two books, one called "Shipwrecks of North Wales" by Ivor Wynne Jones and the other is "Colwyn Bay its origin and Growth" by Norman Tucker.    Both are very good reads and describe the shifting sands of Liverpool Bay and how the bay has closed harbour after harbour, to the confusion of generations of mariners.
Aber Cerrig Gwynion  was in use until 1687 ( by Rhos on Sea Golf Course)  and that's the nearest one to Llandudno.   The point I'm trying to make is that nature can do things on its own but if man interferes and doesn't get it spot on then we will have problems.
As I was growing up in Llandudno I was always told that the Constable Bank was protecting Llandudno from a serious deluge but I'm not sure how far out at sea the bank is.
That boat has disappeared out to sea after dropping the sand off and even with binoculars I can't see it now so it must be quite far away

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3614 on: April 06, 2013, 02:30:55 pm »
As I was growing up in Llandudno I was always told that the Constable Bank was protecting Llandudno from a serious deluge but I'm not sure how far out at sea the bank is.

It's about five miles North. Stretches across the bay from Rhyl, so it is  bar of sorts.