Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663885 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3510 on: March 07, 2013, 12:38:53 pm »
Sorry Jack,what i mean is this new boat show in Conwy,the 40;s weekend in the Bay,don;t get me wrong these are great for those towns and good for CCBC for pushing thousands of pounds into them,THE Wales rally great,but then they hardly accnowledge the extravaganza so the weeks of my year i put into it really goes unoticed by everyone and it really will need new blood next year or it will vanish.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3511 on: March 07, 2013, 03:52:38 pm »
 $angry$ Nice to see the mound being removed on the west shore and of course all us gulible people are supposed to think they are doing us a favor by putting it on the town beach,once again don;t get me wrong im glad the beach is getting a bit of sand but how long do you think the Georgian house opposite the mound would have put up with their view being obstructed,they had to move it,all the houses opposite pay big rates and where going mad about this ever growing sandune.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3512 on: March 07, 2013, 05:15:49 pm »
I do hope CCBC come along to the extravaganza committee and ask would you like a little help,as we see them pumping thousands into events in Colwyn and Conwy,i know nobody in Llandudno is stupid enought to start another event,but who is starting all these new events in Colwyn Bay and Conwy,is it their town council who are pro-active in all these new events or CCBC doing it.

Not sure what specific event you are referring to but the 40s festival in the Bay is being organised by the Chamber of Trade as are many of the events in Conwy led by the excellent Toby Tunstall.  Perhaps if Llandudno had a business orientated organisation then they too could organise events but as many Llandudno businesses are 'nationals' and have managers who have little or no interest in extra work on top of the duties to which they are paid it is unlikely to happen.  The most obvious candidates would be the Hoteliers Association but we all know what they do!

Jack you need to run a Hotel or B and B to see how much effort is involved just to keep your head above water. There’s very little time or energy left to do anything else. It’s not the place or remit of Llandudno Hospitality to get involved in organising events such as you mentioned, that's what the Council, Lions, Round Table and possibly the Chamber of Commerce are for. As to what you refer to as the Hoteliers Association knowing what they do; perhaps you out to come along and see for yourself exactly how much effort is put in on our behalf of our industry, up to and including Governmental level, by the Committee of Llandudno Hospitality.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3513 on: March 07, 2013, 05:16:31 pm »
I passed the Town Hall lunchtime and noticed on the agenda for tomorrow evening's Finance meeting is an agenda item on IPads for Councillors.  ££$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3514 on: March 07, 2013, 05:52:57 pm »
How bloody stupid!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Jack

« Reply #3515 on: March 07, 2013, 06:02:56 pm »

Jack you need to run a Hotel or B and B to see how much effort is involved just to keep your head above water. There’s very little time or energy left to do anything else. It’s not the place or remit of Llandudno Hospitality to get involved in organising events such as you mentioned, that's what the Council, Lions, Round Table and possibly the Chamber of Commerce are for. As to what you refer to as the Hoteliers Association knowing what they do; perhaps you out to come along and see for yourself exactly how much effort is put in on our behalf of our industry, up to and including Governmental level, by the Committee of Llandudno Hospitality.

Sorry BlongB, I clearly have misunderstood the remit of the Hospitality Association. I presumed (wrongly as it happens) that attracting visitors to the town so that they stay in the member's hotels would have been what the Association would do. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:21:20 pm by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3516 on: March 07, 2013, 07:43:08 pm »
I passed the Town Hall lunchtime and noticed on the agenda for tomorrow evening's Finance meeting is an agenda item on IPads for Councillors.  ££$
Talk about fiddling while Rome burns...  &shake&

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3517 on: March 07, 2013, 08:53:11 pm »
I would like to see how the Town Councillors can reasonably justify needing them to do their "work" for the community. >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3518 on: March 09, 2013, 06:50:12 am »
Yorkie how can you think this is a waste,these things take pictures they can have no excuse now for ignoring the problems,all 30 councillors can walk around Llandudno taking pictures of our eyesores take them back to the chamber and they can all disscuss the pictures infront of them,of course they will need lessons on how to use the damn things.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3519 on: March 09, 2013, 08:34:55 am »
 _))* _))* _))* How True !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3520 on: March 09, 2013, 09:42:32 am »
Others can correct me if I am wrong but assuming these items cost £2k each that's £60k for all 30 to have them. I don't know how long they last or what the maintenance would be but Yorkie may have a point.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3521 on: March 09, 2013, 11:00:54 am »
They cost far less - about £399 for a basic iPad 4, so a lot cheaper than laptops, which I believe are routinely issued to some councillors. They probably think the iPad is good for the cloud features which, are, I have to say, quite nifty. However, apart from basic word processing, notes and calendar, I suspect the iPad is - if anything - over specc'ed for their needs.  To work to their strengths, however, they'll each need a router in their houses or they'll need to go for the 3G model - which adds significantly to the cost.  I suspect Yorkie's comment about the training they'd need will be a deciding factor.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline viv

« Reply #3522 on: March 09, 2013, 11:33:59 am »
Colwyn Bay Town Council work with CCBC to put on the Prom Day and Access all Eirias and put in money so that CCBC can raise further match funding.e.g. we put in £20K for 3 years for Access all Eirias. Colwyn Business Netwrok with the Chamber of Trade are putting on the 40s weekend and we have also given them a Grant to help that.  There has been no suggestion of Councillors having laptops i pads or anything. Most of them already have their own!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3523 on: March 09, 2013, 03:45:10 pm »
Colwyn Bay Town Council work with CCBC to put on the Prom Day and Access all Eirias and put in money so that CCBC can raise further match funding.e.g. we put in £20K for 3 years for Access all Eirias. Colwyn Business Netwrok with the Chamber of Trade are putting on the 40s weekend and we have also given them a Grant to help that.  There has been no suggestion of Councillors having laptops i pads or anything. Most of them already have their own!
I think Colwyn Council operates in a far more businesslike manner than Llandudno's.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3524 on: March 09, 2013, 03:49:29 pm »
They cost far less - about £399 for a basic iPad 4, so a lot cheaper than laptops, which I believe are routinely issued to some councillors. They probably think the iPad is good for the cloud features which, are, I have to say, quite nifty. However, apart from basic word processing, notes and calendar, I suspect the iPad is - if anything - over specc'ed for their needs.  To work to their strengths, however, they'll each need a router in their houses or they'll need to go for the 3G model - which adds significantly to the cost.  I suspect Yorkie's comment about the training they'd need will be a deciding factor.
In the last couple of years, Conwy Councillors have all been issued with Laptops, Blackberrys and iPads....how much did all this cost and is it all still been used?