Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664385 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #2805 on: August 25, 2012, 08:22:55 am »
Lets get the facts here,CCBC try and get away with useing Llandudno as a money making town and at the moment plough it all into Colwyn Bay, Llandudno town council and the local buisnesses,hoteliers allow them to do this without even a wimper so its no surprise nobody does a thing about how the gardens look or the state of the beach,but another fact is people love Llandudno,they keep coming and until they stop we won;t get any reation from anybody,the fact we see things being left,we see hotels being turned into flats,we see the beach not even cleaned,we see the gardens allowed to get over grown,we see no investment in the tourism buisness what so ever and so on,councillors don;t give a monkies because they know best,we voted for them so thats the result,not one who will stand up and say we are right.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2806 on: August 25, 2012, 09:21:23 am »
I think people come to Llandudno for different reasons. Some because they like the fact its a traditional Victorian seaside resort. Some because it's quieter and less brash than other seaside resorts. Others because its a great base for exploring Snowdonia. And on and on and on...

Whatever the reason, our visitors are often people who live themselves in less attractive parts of the country.It's important we build upon Llandudno's natural assets by ensuring a clean and well maintained town, that can be both a pride to us and a place that visitors will want to return to. A clean beach, well maintained parks and gardens are all part of this...and very important parts.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #2807 on: August 25, 2012, 10:48:54 am »
Thing is Blongb,people have stop coming here,ask any hoteliers,with the weather we have had Llandudno is a no go area if wet.
Wrex where have you been? Haven't you heard of BONKERZ http://bonkerzfuncentre.co.uk/ It’s a fantastic example of what Private Enterprise can achieve if left to get on with it  $good$

Just watch where you park if using same. Various hotels have had to roust people out of there to remove their cars from their private car parks. Wardens are now aware of this problem.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ludo

« Reply #2808 on: August 25, 2012, 11:34:34 am »
Hmmm - interesting debate this, I have been mulling it over in the last couple of days (and other subjects here on the forum) and have been waiting until I had something vaguely approaching useful to say before tinkling the the ol' Mac ivories. So - here it is:

The big plus of the connectivity of the 21st century world we live in thanks to Mr Berners-Lee is that power can be wrested from the hands of the former overlords and placed firmly in the hands of we, the people. This has been demonstrated very vividly in the past five years and is becoming more and more powerful every day as the facility develops with faster broadband access, more and more mobile devices and the myriad of apps available to all.

Of course, this provides both negative and positive power and sometimes the definition of these is entirely subjective. Last summer's riots in the UK, the Arab spring, wikileaks and many more are applications of this power which have split the world along political and moral fault lines. We have a choice whether to go towards the light or the dark side of the force, and sometimes the very definition of 'light' or 'dark' is a personal and subjective definition.

So what does all this have to do with Llandudno beach and some of the other vexing issues (Christmas lights, eyesores etc) up for debate here? - I hear you ask with growing scepticism and impatience. Well, bear with me friends and I will try to explain. Short and sweet: With currently 772 members, the Three Towns Forum is an incredibly powerful lobbying tool, and a potential medium for facilitating positive solutions to local government intransigence, underfunding, lack of vision and investment, decline, decay and much more evidence of the 'dark side of the force'.

I understand the disappointment and cynicism of many people airing their views here and in most cases I share it. But I greatly admire those who instead of only criticising and submitting to the seemingly inevitable decline, get up and do something about it. The 'Friends of the Happy Valley' initiative is a perfect example of what I mean. Using the power of connectivity this excellent forum offers, people are out and about clearing undergrowth and showing they care about their beautiful town. I really wish I could be there with you too.

To come back to the point of the posts about the current state of Llandudno beach using the model I have just described, this is an idea I have been considering in the last few days. I have not seen the state of the beach first hand of course as I live across the north sea divide, but from what I can gather there is significant growth of vegetation impinging on the sandy beach of the north shore. Ok, Mother Nature has a reason for doing these things and she can always be gently persuaded to change her mind if the argument is good and there is something in it for her. My suggestion is to form a group of interested/dedicated forum members (perhaps some of those who feel negative and cynical towards CCBC) and start taking some smart and creative action which could have a fantastic positive effect on the image of Llandudno worldwide - and thus bring in new visitors with a completely different bucket and spade. Environmental tourism is a growing economic factor in reviving the fortunes of the UK's declining coastal towns.

In the first instance the plan would be to contact the University of Wales Earth Sciences Department to find students who may be looking for a subject for a geo-political - biology - earth sciences thesis. Or indeed research staff who are looking for applications for research. Let's find out why this is happening first and then decide what is the best thing to do about it. This process alone would be a fascinating media story. I know there is government funding for environmental research and there are many private organisations who also have funding available. If the University of Wales are not interested, then other Universities almost certainly would be. I know this is the case as I have personally been involved with a major leading university in almost the same context involving a geology project in Mid-Wales. Think national news stories, think field trips for students and research staff, think clean beach - but above all, as the man said: Think different.

In the 21st century we have the power to go way above the heads of petty, Dickensian council officials and really make a difference - of course if they want to help and support us too, I am sure no one would have any objections....

In the same context, I have an amazing idea I am working on at the moment and if I am not laughed or snored out of the forum for posting this and thus subjected to a tsunami of cynicism, I would really like to ask for your help with it. It could also put Llandudno on the international news agenda in a very positive light in a very, very different kind of way...

Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2809 on: August 25, 2012, 01:19:39 pm »
Well said Ludo.  Unfortunately, whilst your comments will be well read, and with lots of nodding heads in agreement, not a lot will, in fact be done.

If we had a leak in our dyke, there would be lots of hot air talked about it, but no one would be prepared to do anything, or even have the gumption to stick a finger in the hole!

None of the messages can be got across to the Council(s) by just one person, and it will require a concerted effort of a decent sized group to begin to get any success.   Many can shout on this Forum, even me, and although our words will be read by Councillors and the like, they, regrettably do not take what we say on board.  It requires protests at the Council Meetings and outside the Council Offices and constant lobbying of Councillors and even Council Officers.  The Chief Executive should be one of the first targets.  I am certainly willing to voice my feelings and take action but alas, without others, I will just be one small voice in the wilderness.

ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ludo

« Reply #2810 on: August 25, 2012, 02:00:59 pm »
I am certainly willing to voice my feelings and take action but alas, without others, I will just be one small voice in the wilderness.

Well that makes two of us then Yorkie - and two is better than one - is better than none - yes?. I am not really thinking of approaching the Council - I think it is already certain that is a brick wall which is not worth the cranial collision damage. No - what I suggest is bypassing them altogether.

All I ask is say four people (ideally more of course) to help with writing, researching, photographing and generally being an enthusiastic support. I can't do it all myself especially not as I am in the Netherlands although geographical location does not really matter much these days. Together we can all really make a big difference - come on! all we have to do is decide to do it:

ok - to be more specific regarding the beach issue any or all of the following will help:

How long does everyone think it would realistically take for the council to do anything about cleaning up the problem through the usual Dickensian procedures?. I think we would realistically be talking about at the very least next season (june july) at the earliest. What could be done by thinking differently in the meantime?

1. Photographic study of the issue:

a. Helicopter view (not literally) - a view of the complete extent of the growth from a high position - perhaps from the area of the Rocking Stone looking down onto the beach.

b. A shot of the growth in the context of its effect on the tourism industry - peak season shot of deserted beach in the sunshine with the green growth in frame. This would be best taken from the same position as an older photograph from say 20 years ago to show comparison.

c. Close-up image of the growth from a low angle showing recognisable landmark in the background.

d. Macro shots in situ of various species of growth.

e. Macro shots in studio lighting conditions of various species.

f. Microscope photography of various species of growth.

g. Time lapse study from say, one of the tower rooms of the Grand Hotel looking down on the beach over a period of say four months. The time duration between shots would depend on the species of the growth. For example if it is as I suspect algal growth, the growth rate could be anything from hours to a week to see any significant change in coverage/density. Therefore daily shots would be necessary - I am sure this could be organised as a team effort by the forum. It could also be achieved by the use of a high resolution automated webcam. The resulting film would form the basis of presentations and analytical data on how the growth is affecting public usage of the beach.

2. Analysis:

a. Take live samples of the various species of growth and submit them for analysis to interested educational insitutions.

b. Produce growth rate graphs based on photographic evidence, witness reports and historical records.

c. Primary analysis criteria would be species identification, toxicology, chemical properties, trace elements and bacteriological pollution vectors.

3. Study phase:

a. Based on research results establish study panel to investigate the potential for resolution or development. It is quite possible at this stage that it may be discovered that the growth may be used as a positive advantage to Llandudno and North Wales in general.

b. Fester, imagine that it was discovered that the growth on the beach was in fact CHLORELLA . How about a worldwide herbal remedy business run from your kiosk marketing 'Llandudno's elixir of life'? . It could be possible that the green growth invading the beach at the moment is the best thing that has happened to Llandudno since Alice took her trip down the rabbit hole. Then again it could be a just another result of pollution, and in that case through this research we would have a solution to the problem now and further into the future, and the basis of a convincing case for funding.

Summary:

The history of  the UK's spa towns is based on just such creative use of Mother Nature's mysterious deeds. Llandudno itself was built on such a basis. Who knows, the mysterious green growth could be the beginning of a new phase in the town's development. The tourism industry has been in decline for decades anyway - mostly related to the great British weather and cheap flights to Spain and the like. Hence the Victorian extravaganza and other initiatives designed to keep heads above water. Daring to think different is not always a bad thing.

just a thought.....

Offline Ludo

« Reply #2811 on: August 25, 2012, 02:37:51 pm »
1. Photographic study of the issue:

c. Close-up image of the growth from a low angle showing recognisable landmark in the background

Examples of 1c. I made in 2008:

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2812 on: August 26, 2012, 12:10:59 am »
i was crabbing on the jetty last week with the grandchildren and we were pulling the green weed ( not so sure its algy) nearly every time we pulled the bate in, looking close at it, it is some type of weed. algy is a lot slimier than the stuff we were tossing back. The water looks to clean for it to be algy.  I agree with ludo it would be a good idea if some students were to look into what and why it,s there. Someone must know someone who may want to get involved in clearing up the mystery green invader.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2813 on: August 26, 2012, 12:42:13 am »
Anyway!!!!   ....After all that crap, it was busy in the old town tonight!   All the pubs were packed.   ZXZ Z**

By the way I have jars of green algae for sale (apparently) ..... £10 a pop,  not a bad price for the elixyr of life.
Form an orderly queue please.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2814 on: August 27, 2012, 07:47:25 am »
What an oppertunity for CCBC to obtain the old HSS hire shop and open a toy and model railway museum,ideal location and big enought to hold afair sized exibition,lets pray.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2815 on: August 27, 2012, 07:51:20 am »
I popped along to the Oval car boot yesterday,great and busy but my god the whole area looked as if it had;nt been cut for months,how the ratepayers around there have put up with that i dont know.Howarth and Lyon hang your heads in shame.

Offline Gaylord Screwsby

« Reply #2816 on: August 27, 2012, 10:26:56 am »
Anyway!!!!   ....After all that crap, it was busy in the old town tonight!   All the pubs were packed.   ZXZ Z**

By the way I have jars of green algae for sale (apparently) ..... £10 a pop,  not a bad price for the elixyr of life.
Form an orderly queue please.

I'll have a pint please.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2817 on: August 27, 2012, 11:11:14 am »
I popped along to the Oval car boot yesterday,great and busy but my god the whole area looked as if it had;nt been cut for months,how the ratepayers around there have put up with that i dont know.Howarth and Lyon hang your heads in shame.

Quite right - shouldn't allow Car Boot Sales on a Sunday, especially in an area set aside for recreation and wild life conservation!    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2818 on: August 27, 2012, 03:59:20 pm »

Quite right - shouldn't allow Car Boot Sales on a Sunday, especially in an area set aside for recreation and wild life conservation!    WWW

Not confined to just the Oval, it's everywhere you look in the Town. Comforting to know the Council Tax payers of Llandudno don't mind their money being squandered on the redevelopment of Colwyn Bay Sea Front, Colwyn Bay Pier and the soon to be redeveloped Rhos Point at our expense. After all it's a small price to pay, especially now we've got the Bandstand and  Pocket Watch to fob us off.  $walesflag$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2819 on: August 27, 2012, 04:09:29 pm »
I think that the area is left 'Fallow' to recover, after all the football games that have taken place during the earlier part of the year. It was a semi bare mud splat-erred area after the football this year.
Dictum Meum Pactum