Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2616093 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2010, 06:03:42 pm »
Some good work going on at The Grand Hotel this last few days.

There was a cherry picker type truck outside during the week, , with a guy on the platform dealing with the weeds and other stuff growing out of various nooks and crannies.
Today, there were two men up ladders re-painting the balconies.

Not before time!!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2010, 06:14:58 pm »
Some good work going on at The Grand Hotel this last few days.

There was a cherry picker type truck outside during the week, , with a guy on the platform dealing with the weeds and other stuff growing out of various nooks and crannies.
Today, there were two men up ladders re-painting the balconies.

Not before time!!
They also had a climber working from ropes, who was clearing out the top floor gutters. Rather him than me!

Whilst lurking under the Pier today, I took this shot of the Grand Hotel that illustrates very well how it almost appears to be growing out of the rock of the Great Orme. A fantastic building.

Grand Hotel, Llandudno by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Paddy

« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2010, 10:49:01 pm »
Wow! What a fantastic pic. I've never seen the Grand looking so good.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2010, 07:30:02 am »
That IS a great photo Dave.  $cool$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2010, 08:59:51 am »
Thanks!  ;D  I also found a small cave down there, just underneath that old concrete advertising board by the tollgate entrance.

I always like to do photos from new angles, here's one I've not seen before:

Llandudno Pier by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Trojan

« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2010, 09:04:35 am »
Brill!  &well&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2010, 10:14:52 pm »
I'm amazed at the number of new shops opening in Madoc Street lately, must be at least 4 either open or getting ready to open - 'The Hub' Internet cafe, the 2 nail bars, and a charity shop in the old Dafydd Hardy offices.  :)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2010, 11:01:08 pm »
I'm not amazed..... but I do wish them well.
I wonder if either nail-bar knew the other one was about to open?    ?{}?

Moreover,  in these days of scarce REAL employment, and reduced benefits, people are now forced to try a business venture .... what else is there to do to make a living?

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2010, 05:40:38 pm »
Indeed. Sometimes, I look at a new business (like that bike hire shop this year) and think to myself...have they really done their homework?

Changing the subject, I also hear that the big slide on the pier is being removed this Winter and will be replaced by another attraction.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2010, 08:30:51 pm »
As I understand it, the slide and many other things are being removed....mostly temporarily whilst the deck boards in that large area are replaced.
The main gate near the arcade will also be closed to the public for a long time from November.

I did'nt know the slide was being replaced,  but there has been talk of a Victorian style cafe on that site.

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2010, 05:49:01 pm »
I was pleased to see that workmen were busy inside the old Bay Trading shop on Mostyn Street. Looks like another empty shop gone!  The pace of new shop lettings has certainly increased in the last few months.ZXZ

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2010, 08:16:53 pm »
To follow on from Dave's thread about new shops in Llandudno, I am far more familiar with Rhyl than Llandudno. But during the last nine months or so I have seen a lot of Llandudno and little of Rhyl. But I was in Rhyl one day this week and I was struck, straight away, at how it seemed quiet compared to Llandudno. I don't remember ever noticing anything like that before, in the past. So, maybe there is more hope for you happy Llandudnoites!!!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:19 pm »
 ;D  I have just been on  the Venue Cymru website and they claim too have shown a lot of blockbuster films in their cinema,i know nothing about this so called cinema and i am baffled. :-[

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2010, 09:12:32 pm »
Walking the  length of the prom yesterday spotted the first few hotels with full Christmas decorations,trees etc. Get your present lists ready because it's not long until Santa comes calling!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2010, 09:27:31 pm »
Walking the  length of the prom yesterday spotted the first few hotels with full Christmas decorations,trees etc. Get your present lists ready because it's not long until Santa comes calling!
It's probably for 'Turkey & Tinsel', rather than Christmas itself. I've always found 'Turkey & Tinsel' to be one of the craziest concepts around, the idea of having a full Christmas/New Year celebration in less than one week in October or November:

Your Turkey & Tinsel Programme

MONDAY: It’s Christmas Eve! - From local departure points relax, get to know your fellow holidaymakers, and enjoy the comfortable coach journey to the venue of your choice. Before dinner you are invited to a welcome reception with your hosts and, after dinner, relax in the bar or lounge and enjoy a drink with your new-found friends.

TUESDAY: It’s Christmas Day! - Start this ‘Christmas’ day with a leisurely breakfast then sit back and enjoy a half day excursion before returning for one of the highlights of the week… a full ‘Christmas’ dinner with all the festive trimmings and a visit from Santa! After dinner enjoy a night of festive entertainment.

WEDNESDAY: It’s Boxing Day! - After breakfast, board your coach for a full day sightseeing excursion before returning to the hotel. In the evening look forward to a Boxing Day dinner followed by festive entertainment and dancing.

THURSDAY: It’s New Year’s Eve! - After breakfast, board your coach for a leisurely full day sightseeing excursion before returning to the hotel. In the evening look forward to a special New Year’s Eve dinner followed by entertainment to see in the ‘New Year’!

FRIDAY: Fond Farewells! - After breakfast it’s time to make our way home, after five festive days of good fun, food and friendship.