Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2648152 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1395 on: July 28, 2011, 01:54:50 pm »
Don't forget that for just £15 you can have a pass for 12 months that includes parking at the summit, bargain!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1396 on: July 28, 2011, 02:36:18 pm »
My OH is friendly with the toll keeper by the pier and the toll booth at the bottom of the zig-zag hasn't been manned this season or last.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #1397 on: July 28, 2011, 02:51:03 pm »
Probably down to some bright spark on this forum pointing out to the world that there's  a bloke with a good deal of cash sat in a booth miles from anywhere! :roll:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1398 on: July 28, 2011, 02:56:23 pm »
The Zig-zag Toll never did take much money.  It was more a deterant to stop people getting a free trip round by going via the tram track and zig-zag route.   The Toll at this point started in about 1993 and ran until 2 years ago and as far as I know there was never any serious problems.
 Z**

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1399 on: July 28, 2011, 03:27:21 pm »
And to think that I've been walking around the Great Orme all this time so I don't have to pay a toll charge!    ;)

Anyway has anyone got any info on the film crew that was filming opposite the R and BT?  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:04:10 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1400 on: July 29, 2011, 09:03:45 am »
Apparently, they're making a reality show in which 3 'celebs' navigate their way around the Orme and over to Liverpool using traditional methods.  They filmed at the R & BT cafe, then were taken down to the pier, from where they were supposed to sail on a small boat to Liverpool landing stage.  The show's working title is "All roads lead to home" and will be on BBC2.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1401 on: July 29, 2011, 11:10:25 am »
Were you wearing shorts? If so I drove past you by the old tea gardens.If not someone else had stopped , got out of the car and was peering over the edge ! Got caught in that mist walking the dog, so cut my own walk short, now trying to dry the washing whilst the rain pelts on the roof.

Yes, that must have been me. I was looking to see if anyone was in the Toll Booth and then watched your car going past the toll booth before I headed down there myself.
Did you notice the film crew on your drive around the Orme Nemesis?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1402 on: July 29, 2011, 11:38:54 am »
No I didn't, as I passed the cafe the mist was rolling down so much that I put my headlights on , so was probably looking the other way !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #1403 on: July 29, 2011, 11:54:11 am »
Apparently, they're making a reality show in which 3 'celebs' navigate their way around the Orme and over to Liverpool using traditional methods.  They filmed at the R & BT cafe, then were taken down to the pier, from where they were supposed to sail on a small boat to Liverpool landing stage.  The show's working title is "All roads lead to home" and will be on BBC2.

I understand that the programme makers are sending the three "celebrities" on a journey through Wales, passing through Llandudno.  They are supposed to be travelling without maps or compasses and navigating by the landscape, sun, etc.   One of the researchers for the programme made some enquiries about St. Tudno's, with a view to including it in the programme, but we haven't heard any more so we've obviously been left out.  They wanted to know whether the altar is in the east of the church (it is), whether the graves face east (most of them do, apart from those which seem to have been "fitted in" as space allowed) and whether the graves of priests face west, i.e. facing their congregation.  I've only recently learnt about the latter tradition from a friend at a village church in England and other people I've mentioned it to have been as ignorant as me.  I went around the churchyard and checked all the clergy graves (about 20 of them) but it was all very democratic - they faced the same way as everyone else.  Perhaps the researchers found another church on the route which fitted all the criteria, though once one has found the east it's surely not necessary to find the west too but I suppose it would give them more to talk about in the programme. 

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1404 on: July 31, 2011, 07:11:53 pm »
BBC News - £5m Mostyn gallery redesign wins Eisteddfod medal http://bbc.in/o5Limf

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1405 on: August 01, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »
 :( I am not quite sure how many cuts have been made in the CCBC parks dept, but considering its the hight of the season our grass and flower beds have been left unweeded and uncut and it all looks a mess,Either CCBC parks dept are only concentrating on Conwy and Colwyn Bay or they have nobody to look after Llandudno. :rage:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1406 on: August 01, 2011, 08:03:24 pm »
:( I am not quite sure how many cuts have been made in the CCBC parks dept, but considering its the hight of the season our grass and flower beds have been left unweeded and uncut and it all looks a mess,Either CCBC parks dept are only concentrating on Conwy and Colwyn Bay or they have nobody to look after Llandudno. :rage:
Very true, Wrex. I don't see why the Town Council can't save the £4000+ cost of the Civic Sunday event and spend that on enhancing the flower displays around town? Something that all the people could appreciate, not just the chosen few...  $angry$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1407 on: August 01, 2011, 08:57:44 pm »
 :roll::) Because Dave they don;t give a damn, they only see things they want to, take the xmas lights ,not one agreed with me that they were crap,not one,these flower beds and grass won;t have been noticed by any of them.Why are there no lines on this new cycle path,cars are parking on the cyclepath on Maesdu rd and the reason no lines and when you reach the rugby field there is a sign telling you to dismount,what sort of cyclepath tells you to get of your bike,mad. :rage:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1408 on: August 01, 2011, 08:59:54 pm »
I see that the local morons had been busy on Friday or Saturday night, windows were smashed in both Marks & Spencer and the Taylors clothes shop (in The Mall shopping arcade).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1409 on: August 02, 2011, 06:04:17 pm »
Several people have commented to me lately about the street traders that have appeared in Llandudno. First, there was the Jewellery guy often to be found outside RBS, now there is the Temporary Tattoos stand that wanders around Mostyn Street. I take it they are operating illegally, or can we all set up shop on the pavement free of any rent or rates to pay? At a time when CCBC is cracking down on legitimate businesses with a A Board on the pavement or a cafe displaying signage on its canopy, it seems a little odd that they are quite happy for the street traders to continue operating?