Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2655698 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1080 on: May 25, 2011, 09:28:32 pm »
I too am all for any events being brought to Llandudno, (I am a well known fan of the Exravaganza) ... just manage them properly, that all I ask.
That's it in a nutshell. There have been many other such events in the past, none of which have caused the disruption that this one did. Poor planning is the reason why. Let's hope the Organisers learn from the feedback when they organise the next one.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1081 on: May 26, 2011, 07:56:11 am »
Let's hope the Organisers learn from the feedback when they organise the next one.

Hmmm.  The biggest problem was when the cabinet approved all the road closures without - apparently - considering the effects. If we're hoping they learn from the feedback...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #1082 on: May 26, 2011, 12:01:11 pm »
That's it then.  Half the shops are empty; buildings going to rack and ruin with no one with the energy to do anything about it; the towns going to be flooded and cycling allowed on the Prom.  I'd go if I had any money the whole place is going to hell in a hand cart.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1083 on: May 26, 2011, 01:10:09 pm »
Having read that article, my previous low opinion of David Williams has been fully confirmed, and surpassed.

Whether it be his woeful comments about what to do with the Pier Pavilion, or the less-than-edifying state the exterior of his own hotel has been allowed to fall into. I am constantly underwhelmed by what I see and hear fom him.

To say there has to be ''pain'' to get ''gain'' is a total nonsense.

All that is required is a modicum of common sense and rganisational planning.

I too am all for any events being brought to Llandudno, (I am a well known fan of the Exravaganza) ... just manage them properly, that all I ask.
The man is blinkered-- he goes round to people in the hospitality trade to 'see if their premises are suitable to be part of the Llandudno Hospitality Association'. Look at his own--It would have fallen down if someting hadn't been done this last month.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline dingo20

« Reply #1084 on: May 26, 2011, 01:19:24 pm »
I was invited to join the Llandudno Hospitality Association (I didn't get the honour of a visit) but had to point out that I'm not in the Hospitality trade I was then offered to join as an associate is it worth it? Seems pretty expensive and I'm not sure what I'd get out of it.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1085 on: May 26, 2011, 01:20:47 pm »
No it's not and nothing . ??? The slate plaque is nice though !!!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1086 on: May 26, 2011, 02:50:38 pm »
 :( Why don;t the hoteliers get rid of Mr Williams and start sticking up for themselves.When was the last time they confronted the town council about the state of the beaches,the empty shops,railway station,coach park,xmas lights ,its their buisnesses that suffer when nothing is done but they seem to sit back and let Mr Williams do nothing.Get him out ,make CCBC FILL THE A ZXZRENA WITH GROUPS AND THEN FILL YOUR HOTELS WITH CONCERT GOERS

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1087 on: May 26, 2011, 03:07:22 pm »
That's it in a nutshell. There have been many other such events in the past, none of which have caused the disruption that this one did. Poor planning is the reason why. Let's hope the Organisers learn from the feedback when they organise the next one.

To date, I have not contributed to last Sunday’s fiasco because I knew I was going to the Theatre of Dreams for a day out and I was always going to miss the road race.

However, as a long-standing resident of C-y-D, I will submit my own feedback.

I had seen all these yellow road signs on lampposts saying certain roads would be closed for at least a couple of weeks before the event.

Initially, I thought the roads were being closed for resurfacing work because I do not remember seeing any mention of a road race on the yellow signs.

Something else I never saw either was a plan of these road closures all joined up in the local newspapers showing how Llandudno was going to be affected last Sunday.

Had a map been provided then I would imagine motorists could have planned better.

Offline dingo20

« Reply #1088 on: May 26, 2011, 03:10:29 pm »
Total agree get people to the Venue and business will follow for all. A lot of hotels do golf breaks but not many do the Theater breaks which is understandable as there isn't a consistant number of quality shows on, very frustrating as most touring shows / groups would be happy to add a date on their tours.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1089 on: May 26, 2011, 03:27:03 pm »
  8) To be honest Dingo i feel the theater does okay its the Arena where they let themselves and the ratepayers [hoteliers] down by their lack of  ANYTHING INSIDE IT AND ESPECIALLY POP CONCERTS ,WHICH WHEN THEY DO MANAGE ONE GO DOWN VERY WELL. $walesflag$

Offline dingo20

« Reply #1090 on: May 26, 2011, 03:33:31 pm »
If it was in private hands you'd make sure you had the place fully utilised even if it meant breaking even on some nights or offering to amateur acts. Mr Williams doesn't seem too popular, I've only spoken to him twice and because he didn't offer me or my business anything I ignored him.

Waffagolf

« Reply #1091 on: May 26, 2011, 04:18:49 pm »
A letter was supposed to be put through every letterbox along the Llandudno 10 route informing both residents and businesses about the race. On the reverse of the letter was supposed to be a breakdown of the entire route from start to finish so everyone along the entire route were informed. The yellow road signs did state the wording "Llandudno 10" at the top of every sign. They were the first words one would read. Date and times were clearly stated of the closures.

The letter should have contained details of the official Llandudno 10 website, so anyone could visit the site and see a pictorial breakdown of the exact route, a corner by corner, road by road visual breakdown of the entire route. There was also a written breakdown of the entire route PLUS and aerial view showing the exact course the runners would take.

The letter should also have stated that a copy of the road closure order was available for anyone to see prior to race day. I should add that I saw road closure details in local newpapers and on other websites prior to the race. I even heard a race Representative on our Community Radio Station stating the route of the race to the listeners.

It would be interesting to know which homes or businesses along the route didn't get a letter, if any, as this was a stringent and must do part of the organisers agreement with CCBC in order to get the roads closed. If letters were not received, then the organisers were remiss and should be taken to task over it. They were under no illusions that letters should be put through EVERY letter box on the 10 mile route. No exceptions.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1092 on: May 26, 2011, 04:39:43 pm »
I think a big part of the problem was the signage...or lack of it. There were 'Road Closed' signs and cones everywhere but no indication at all of an alternative route so motorists were just driving around trying to find a way out or in.

A good example was trying to leave the town via Craig Y Don. You went down to the Boulevard roundabout - the road onto the Prom was closed, so all traffic went straight across onto Mostyn Ave. They got to the junction with Clarence Road and, there, Mostyn  Ave was coned off, so all traffic turned left into Clarence Road (obviously a nightmare because it is quite narrow). Then, when they got to the Prom, they had to turn left back towards the Boulevard roundabout as the way right was coned off!

Totally ridiculous!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1093 on: May 26, 2011, 04:44:28 pm »
 Get JFS on the case,the sinod can sort it out. D);)

Offline Paddy

« Reply #1094 on: May 26, 2011, 04:48:26 pm »
It would be interesting to know which homes or businesses along the route didn't get a letter, if any, as this was a stringent and must do part of the organisers agreement with CCBC in order to get the roads closed. If letters were not received, then the organisers were remiss and should be taken to task over it. They were under no illusions that letters should be put through EVERY letter box on the 10 mile route. No exceptions.

I didn't get one!