Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2664777 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7335 on: December 11, 2016, 10:47:44 am »
Is the pier open to walk down at the mo? I know it usually is in the winter, but pretty sure i remember reading that last winter it was shut for a while.. We're thinking of maybe coming for a day this Friday, thought i'd ask the people who'd know  ;D

Sure is, plus the bar and cafe are open everyday, (unless the weather is appalling)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline pebbles

« Reply #7336 on: December 14, 2016, 01:08:05 am »
Thanks Fester, if there's no rain forecast we're probably coming - a long way for a day trip but the Llandudnosickness we get when we haven't been for a while is calling  ;D
(July is a long time ago!!!)

Offline Jelly Baby

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now? (End of an era for Llandudno post office.)
« Reply #7337 on: December 15, 2016, 06:19:20 am »
I was so sorry to hear about the closure of the Vaughan Street Post Office!  :'( I used to go there many times to collect my Mum's Family Allowance for her - usually in my lunch break! She once gave me a clip around the earhole because my younger sisters started screaming for no apparent reason. When she finally calmed them enough to discover the reason for their terror, it was because they thought the building was falling on top of them. Mum looked up and, sure, enough, looked at from that close angle, and with scudding clouds, it did indeed look like the building was lurching over! And I got the blame for that, hence the thick ear! Me, all innocent and all!  :o
Needless to say, this was very much 'last century' - you wouldn't dare give a kid a thick ear nowadays!
I read the comment at the bottom of the Daily Post article about the long queues there. Well, I can assure the writer that long queues were very much par for the course - and they weren't even selling stuff in those bygone days! It was always busy, no matter what time of day you went! And of course, no matter which queue you stood in, the other one would always move closer to the counter faster than the one you were in - even when you switched queues, dammit!!! :laugh:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7338 on: December 15, 2016, 08:29:38 am »
It took the Post Office, along with many other UK businesses and institutions, years to work out the new system, which was so patently obvious I can remember as a young kid suggesting it to a bank clerk. He patronisingly told me it would never work with 'people', and so the ludicrous queues continued unabated.

I suspect that's a big reason behind the decline of the UK as a major power in the world. Too many people think that innovation is bad and things should stay as they always were.  I did think we'd escaped from that sometime in the '90s, but I'm not at all sure. Certainly there are still a lot of people locally who simply throw up their hands in hopeless capitulation when anything is suggested that might improve the lot for users of a service.  The NHS is the perfect example.

There are many obvious and relatively low-cost or even no-cost improvements that could be made for the benefit of patients, but it's surprising how few in the NHS can seem to grasp the idea that small improvements can and do make life better for everyone. And I'm fairly sure that there are those in the NHS who can see potential improvements - often systemic - that can be made, cheaply and easily, but they're often reluctant or unable to put their heads above the parapet and suggest them.  The Ambulance service is perhaps the best example.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7339 on: December 16, 2016, 11:09:25 am »
I am not in the habit of keeping my parking tickets, ...but I think it might be good idea in the future.......

SHOPPERS are calling for parking in Llandudno to be addressed after several drivers received parking charges – despite keeping to the rules.

Maureen Pardoe and Will Ward were issued parking charges after visiting the retail car parks.

Mostyn Champneys and Parc Llandudno are run by private parking company, ParkingEye, which uses camera recognition to monitor cars going in and out of the car park.
http://m.northwalespioneer.co.uk/mobile/mnews/170284/llandudno-shoppers-angered-by-incorrect-parking-fines.aspx

Offline Norm

A new UNDERTAKING
« Reply #7340 on: December 17, 2016, 01:30:57 pm »

I had been trying to get in touch with 'EDDIE HALL RUBBISH REMOVED'  to do a job,without much success but when I went to two funerals in a week I saw that he was also a pallbearer for Tom the box!

They could join forces and do budget funeral's  - just paint out the 'ED' on the side of his wagon...   :roll:

Offline PhilMick

Re: A new UNDERTAKING
« Reply #7341 on: December 17, 2016, 05:17:52 pm »
Try: Bob a Job.

01492 878499/ 07854 503879

Did a good job for us earlier in the year

Phil

Offline llandudnotrust

• Management board member
« Reply #7342 on: December 18, 2016, 03:40:48 pm »
What a waste of time this closing of Upper Mostyn St was. Cars parked on both sides of the road and driving up and down. A Policeman said they were eventually told to abandon the whole thing.
The main question is WHY this is Llandudno not London. It gives a false view of the town, that we need such a heavy police presence and A St Johns first aid centre in Tabernacl what part of ART is that.
Merry Christmas though   

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7343 on: December 19, 2016, 11:08:46 am »
30 things you only know if you grew up in Llandudno.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/30-things-you-only-know-10599056

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7344 on: December 19, 2016, 12:30:18 pm »
"If you grew up in Llandudno then these are 32 things that should be more than familiar to you."

I know the list is copied from Facebook from lots of people's individual memories but it looks pretty random in a proper news story like this I doubt anyone who remembers

16. You remember seeing American GIs walking down Mostyn Street in 1944 – hundreds of them were attached to medical units which were billeted in the town that year

also remembers

8. You punched Mr Wimpy on a Saturday afternoon as he stood on the corner at the top of Mostyn Street enticing people into the burger restaurant

or

When Winston Churchill attended a Conservative Party conference at the Pier Pavilion you heard the cheers as he gave his famous Second World War V for Victory sign

and

6. You sneaked a bottle of cider, Thunderbird or 20/20 on the "Double Deckers" at Happy Valley

Although you never know - few bonkers old folk in this time  L0L

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7345 on: December 23, 2016, 05:14:48 pm »
Anyone know what is going on at the St. George's Hotel? There now is scaffolding up the front much higher than the building and across the roof???????
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7346 on: December 23, 2016, 05:32:49 pm »
Anyone know what is going on at the St. George's Hotel? There now is scaffolding up the front much higher than the building and across the roof???????

Nothing on the above but this is on the DP blog........

Llandudno Town Hall evacuated     Lloyd st. Closed
Statement from Conwy Council: “Llandudno Town Hall has been evacuated after scaffolding became unsafe in strong winds. Police were in attendance. The situation will be monitored.”

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7347 on: December 23, 2016, 06:07:54 pm »
The road closure in Lloyd Street starts at the two banks and ends at Back Madoc Street thus leaving access into the car park in the Victoria Centre.

Offline hollins

« Reply #7348 on: December 23, 2016, 06:52:03 pm »

I read about their new Rooftop development last year.
Do you think it could be this?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudnos-st-georges-hotel-plans-10068028

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7349 on: December 23, 2016, 08:08:07 pm »
Thanks for that Hollins. Just glad that they aren't flouting the listed building/conservation rules, :o as they did by putting plastic windows in !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.