Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2666649 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5130 on: April 29, 2014, 05:31:12 pm »
It was fascinating to watch a professional at work.

DaveR, did you notice where the dumper truck was taking the rocks to be dumped?

After walking home along the promenade, am I correct in thinking the sailing club is having a brand new jetty built right in front of their existing clubhouse?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5131 on: April 29, 2014, 05:41:55 pm »
yes brian  a new concerete slipway watched them moving them rocks that they dumped ,piled high don,t know what they will do with them ,who is paying for this new slipway .

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5132 on: April 29, 2014, 06:26:47 pm »
Norm - I have heard that the rocks are going to be used to reinforce the sea defences below Craigside.

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #5133 on: April 30, 2014, 10:26:16 am »
For those into photography (of which there are several here I am aware of), the well-known photographer Martin Parr came to Llandudno and has published a selection of his images on his website:

http://www.martinparr.com/recent-work/recent-work-4/

He's a great photographer and often chronicles UK life in places like resorts and small towns and was particularly known for this in the 70s/80s.

Apologies if this has been previously posted.
My honest opinion is that any tourist with an iphone could take as good a photo as any of those posted. Not impressed at all, what do others think?

Agree, I was not impressd.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5134 on: April 30, 2014, 04:07:44 pm »
This was a post I put on Oscar's Blog about the state of the town's green spaces:

"I wish Llandudno Town Council would step up and take over management (via contractors) of Happy Valley, Haulfre Gardens and the Prom Gardens etc. Standards presently, are far too low, and almost embarrassing in places. Other big seaside resorts make far more of an effort and pleasant public spaces are important to keep the visitors coming back."

Parts of the Prom gardens look terrible at the moment, filled with weeds or bare earth and dead plants. Is it too much to ask that they be tidied up ready for the Extravaganza? The gardens at Bog Island look very tatty as well. I do feel that motivated private contractors could do a far better job if given specific standards to adhere to.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #5135 on: April 30, 2014, 08:02:22 pm »
Would it be better if local flower clubs/horticultural societies took over the flower beds?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5136 on: May 05, 2014, 05:40:38 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG59TK0d6lI

Just in case anyone missed it !!!!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5137 on: May 05, 2014, 05:57:10 pm »
Good turn out from the Victorian dressed folk, although it's a bit of a mystery to me what the balaclava-clad para-military was doing there. Liked the shot of Mike, grinning widely. All in all, another great event.  Well done wrex and the team behind it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5138 on: May 05, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »
Good to see another successful Extravaganza. Well done to everyone involved in making it happen.  $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5139 on: May 05, 2014, 07:58:12 pm »
 D Thank you

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #5140 on: May 05, 2014, 08:43:14 pm »
Good to see another successful Extravaganza. Well done to everyone involved in making it happen.  $good$
Yes, although I missed most of it, the feedback I've heard has been once again very positive
Well done !

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5141 on: May 06, 2014, 08:45:29 am »
Seems most people enjoyed it.

Mike--- I missed you, but from watching the video, I was nearly at the front and you were alot further back.

Now nursing blistered feet !! :-[

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5142 on: May 06, 2014, 08:46:40 pm »
Well done Nemesis and Mike for looking so great!   Also to Wrex for the passionate commitment and organisation.

It was an excellent event, and the weather was kind once again.

Just to echo Ian's point though, I am heartily sick of the sight of the gun-wielding Star Wars stormtroopers, in both the Extravaganza and the Xmas parades.  As for the masked gun-toting paramilitaries, (and the East German military guy in black, not shown on the video) I can't imagine what those idiots are thinking!!   Do they get off on it?
Nothing could be more inappropriate for a Victorian or Xmas parade, and as they strode around the pier later, those who weren't frightened of them merely passed the comment 'Disgusting'

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5143 on: May 07, 2014, 09:45:21 pm »
   Hello Nemesis, in reply yes I was towards the back, even further back on the Sunday and Monday because I kept clashing with a certain gentleman we all know, his companion in the pram escaped from the Mountain Zoo.
   I didn't particularly want to hear any comments like "Llandudnos got another nu---- now."
   In fairness to him what I saw of him in the parade, particularly on the Monday, he did seem a genuine attraction and raised a lot of laughter. What the band in very similar uniform thought of him tacking on behind I don't know.  Mike

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5144 on: May 08, 2014, 08:31:25 am »
Hi Mike, Yes I did spot the person you are mentioning-- in fact I did a double take as he seemed to be so near the band he looked part of it at times.!

Fester-- Thanks for your kind comments, I am still hobbling with toes full of blisters, OMG I could do with some new feet.

I agree about the military men, they were somewhat off-putting and not really in keeping. Having said that I suppose at least they turned up and swelled the numbers. Trouble is if people in the parade start being categorised alot of them wouldn't be in keeping. The storm troopers seem to have become part of any local event-- but I didn't seem to see as many. ???