Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203829 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #675 on: August 31, 2012, 03:14:10 pm »
I haven't read any of Bob's papers but he will be able to tell you what you want to know.

One of the stories he told me about Robert Roberts the Baptist Preacher was that he did the Baptising in the River Conwy near where the old Ferry was (Junction flyover area today) and that Robert wasn't very old when he died.(40's I think)

Offline emma p

« Reply #676 on: August 31, 2012, 07:30:10 pm »
Ive just read on Wikipedia that the Pugh Family held a charter and built a windmill in Glanwydden to serve their land. Would this be the existing windmill in Glanwydden ?? The first charter dated 1580 ?
Im slowly researching !!!
Penrhyn Old Hall is a pub ! well theres a suprise....any good ???

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #677 on: August 31, 2012, 09:29:20 pm »
It's reputed to be 'Haunted', I hope it's not one of your ancestors ?   :D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline speilberg91

« Reply #678 on: August 31, 2012, 09:37:44 pm »
Is it the same Bob that wrote these papers in the University archives that also works in the Llandudno archives?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #679 on: August 31, 2012, 10:20:54 pm »
That's the same person so you know that it's authentic.    I think William Salesbury was the first miller there and I did also mention to Bob that Enoch senior had been a miller in his working life.
Enoch was a devout Bapist but the Pugh's were staunch Catholics and persecuted for their faith.

Offline speilberg91

« Reply #680 on: August 31, 2012, 10:55:48 pm »
That's interesting, thanks once again Hugo! I read that he was, at least anyway, from Llanfairfechan, like our part of the family and he's a graduate in history from Bangor, which I hope to do next summer!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #681 on: September 01, 2012, 05:50:25 pm »
There will be no shortage of practice for you in the Archives then.    :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #682 on: September 06, 2012, 05:00:29 pm »
I was in the Archives today and had a quick look at three fascinating books by Kenneth Dibble on Penrhynside.   They describe the houses and people who have lived in them over the years.
You are probably aware of the details through the recent connection with Owen Roberts' family but it was interesting to read.
 David Owen Roberts and his wife Sephorah Roberts lived at No1 Drillo View Penrhynside. Sephorah was the daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Edwards of Penrhyn Cottage, Pentre Road. 
 Owen and his wife lived there before they moved to Drillo View and he was a butcher who had 4 children and was buried in Ffolt Cemetery

Offline emma p

« Reply #683 on: September 07, 2012, 01:10:28 pm »
Thanks for that Hugo.....Owen and Sephoras granddaughter still lives in Llandudno (If im not right Speilberg, please put me right) We met up whilst we were there in August. I have pictures of Owen and Sephora outside Drillo View,also pics of their children, and have been told stories of their Sunday evenings after church, which was opposite the house i think ??? and how the whole congregation was made up of Roberts's !.....and all my lovely new cousins !!!!! x

Offline GR

« Reply #684 on: September 24, 2012, 05:24:06 pm »
Sephora (Sis) had a sister, Nan, who lived in Bryn Masarn opposite the methodist chapel, who's daughter Eirwen lives there now and her daughter Margaret lives in Penrhyn Cottage. It's never left the family! My dad, Elfed Wyn one of the 4 children, was born in Penrhyn Cottage, all the others were born in Bryn Masarn, there was a reason but I can't remember right now. Interestingly Owen seems to have adopted the name David somewhere along the line, his war medals only bear Owen Roberts. Owen died of a brain haemorrhage (March 1962) at the top of Penrhyn Hill while walking to work at the butchers shop in Craig-y-Don. Whose owner, Daniel Owen, was related through the marriage of his son Morris to Mair, daughter of Owen and Sis!

Offline speilberg91

« Reply #685 on: September 26, 2012, 12:20:35 pm »
You are right Emma, they have two still living there, the other you haven't met yet.

Offline speilberg91

« Reply #686 on: December 07, 2012, 04:54:36 pm »
I think Emma and Jane know about this, thought you might be interested as well Hugo, me and my dad went to see Bob this afternoon, after a chance encounter with him in the University archives on Tuesday! Very interesting afternoon, he's certainly got a lot of information on the family.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #687 on: December 08, 2012, 04:19:11 pm »
I think Emma and Jane know about this, thought you might be interested as well Hugo, me and my dad went to see Bob this afternoon, after a chance encounter with him in the University archives on Tuesday! Very interesting afternoon, he's certainly got a lot of information on the family.

I'm glad that you met up with Bob,  he's a really nice guy but apart from that I think he knows more about Glanwydden that anyone else and will point you in the right direction with any research you want to make.
I've asked Bob to write a book on Glanwydden and the surrounding area and hope he will do so one day.  He's also been trying to get the Old Baptist graveyard tidied up but isn't having much luck despite all his efforts.  It was last tidied 30 years ago and he was one of the volunteers then
You are lucky in so much that your family have lived in the area for so long because that makes research a little bit easier.   Good luck with all that.     $good$

Offline GR

« Reply #688 on: December 08, 2012, 05:57:06 pm »
Funny you should mention tidying the Ffolt Hugo. I said to Bob yesterday that I was thinking of going to the Ffolt and having a clear up, he's up for it along with my son and a cousin of mine. I was going to post the idea on here in the new year to see if any body else fancied coming along, but since you lit the touch paper on here..... many hands make light work as they say!  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #689 on: December 09, 2012, 10:55:34 am »
Count me in too. just post something on here.  It will be nice to go in there again without having to wear protective gear!      $good$