Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203742 times)

Offline jane B

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #540 on: November 23, 2011, 08:31:36 pm »
Thanks to Hugo's directions I found my way to Fforddlas cemetery. I did get a lift from my friend so that made it easier. Don't think I would have found it wihout your knowledge Hugo.What a lovely little cemetery! It has been well looked after. There was a note asking for plants for the cemetery, my friend who lives locally said she would donate.
I looked at the memorial, very fine it is too! Thanks for your earlier translated  inscription Hugo.It was hard to read.
I found two graves that are definitely our Roberts,Sarah and Enoch Roberts had their address Factory on theirs. I am going to try and work out the Welsh but the one for Sarah and Enoch is very long!

Offline jane B

« Reply #541 on: November 23, 2011, 09:35:09 pm »
Had a go translating the headstones. They make sad reading.I only got a very basic translation as I think I copied some words down incorrectly. William Roberts grandson of the preacher died on Dec 13 1907 aged 40. Also their beloved son Enoch died,( the welsh looked like tabh 5 1918 yn ie ml oed.) Not sure what month that is. He was only 18. I noticed he was away at school in Abergele in 1911, down as a visitor. William's wife Mary Ellen died March 23 1925 aged 60.
On the other one it is in memory of Sarah Roberts daughter of Enoch and Sarah Roberts died Mai 2 1882(not sure what that month is). She was only 18. In 1891 Enoch was living with daughter Maria and granddaughter Sarah J Davies aged 8 born 1882. So presuming Sarah died in childbirth. Sarah wife died Mar22 1887 aged 55.
Enoch born 1835 died August 10 1899 aged 64.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #542 on: November 23, 2011, 11:47:28 pm »
Had a go translating the headstones. They make sad reading.I only got a very basic translation as I think I copied some words down incorrectly. William Roberts grandson of the preacher died on Dec 13 1907 aged 40. Also their beloved son Enoch died,( the welsh looked like tabh 5 1918 yn ie ml oed.) Not sure what month that is. He was only 18. I noticed he was away at school in Abergele in 1911, down as a visitor. William's wife Mary Ellen died March 23 1925 aged 60.
On the other one it is in memory of Sarah Roberts daughter of Enoch and Sarah Roberts died Mai 2 1882(not sure what that month is). She was only 18. In 1891 Enoch was living with daughter Maria and granddaughter Sarah J Davies aged 8 born 1882. So presuming Sarah died in childbirth. Sarah wife died Mar22 1887 aged 55.
Enoch born 1835 died August 10 1899 aged 64.

tabh=tach=November
Mai=May

Offline jane B

« Reply #543 on: November 24, 2011, 08:40:02 am »
Thanks Dwsi, a bit more Welsh vocab for me!

Offline jane B

« Reply #544 on: November 24, 2011, 08:48:28 am »
There was a line of inscription that the Google translation didn't make clear, if someone could enlighten me:-"Gwerth fawr yingolwg yr Arglwydd yw marwolaeth ei saint ef" Oh, and one more "Hyd oni ddeld" I hope I have copied these correctly!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #545 on: November 24, 2011, 02:02:51 pm »
Hi Jane, Glad that the directions were of some help to you and that you were able to find out some info about your ancestors. The quote you made "Tabh 5 1918 yn ei ml oed"  doesn't quite make sense unless the "ei" is 18 or there is more to add to the sentence.
ml is short for mlynedd meaning years and oed means age.
It must mean November 5th 1918 18 years old unless there is more to add to it.
Some of the headstones are difficult to read anyway but the inscriptions on them are recorded in the Burial books that I showed to you in the Archives although a lot of the earlier ones were in Welsh.
I would imagine that a lot of your ancestors lived close by so don't worry about addresses as they may make more sense to the locals on the forum.
For example Nev's Garage is in Fforddlas (Green Road) but across the bridge and stream is the small community of Pentrefelin ( Mill Village) and on the opposite side of the road is the Graig (rock) and they are all within about 100 yards of each other so they wouldn't be far from each other.

Emma, a photo of the Chapel from the A470

Offline emma p

« Reply #546 on: November 24, 2011, 06:44:45 pm »
Thanks Hugo......i googled it last night and now i know exactly where it is. I was looking at the wrong garden centre. Wish i could google up that 'tunnel' !
Jane, how much do you wish we could step back in time ??? !!  $walesflag$

Offline dwsi

« Reply #547 on: November 24, 2011, 06:51:43 pm »
There was a line of inscription that the Google translation didn't make clear, if someone could enlighten me:-"Gwerth fawr yingolwg yr Arglwydd yw marwolaeth ei saint ef" Oh, and one more "" I hope I have copied these correctly!

Gwerth fawr yingolwg yr Arglwydd yw marwolaeth ei saint ef = much valued in the eyes of the lord is the death of his saint

Offline emma p

« Reply #548 on: November 24, 2011, 06:59:40 pm »
Bless you dwsi.....thats beautiful.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #549 on: November 24, 2011, 07:06:04 pm »
Jane, in all the research you have done, have you come across any family members with that surname in Anglesey?  If you have would you post the location please.    ?{}?

Offline jane B

« Reply #550 on: November 24, 2011, 07:52:45 pm »
Dwsi, that is so poignant, thanks for that.
Emma, I keep thinking we will bump into one of these old names! If only we had a time machine!
Hugo, there is a family that moved to Anglesey.
Another Enoch appears in Rhoslas, Llanfihangel Esgeifiog, on the 1871 census. He is aged 25 born about 1846 in Llangwstenin. He is married to Anne born in Gaerwen Anglesey and they have 1 daughter Jane Roberts born about 1870.
1881 he is still in Llanfihangel at Pig y Rhos with 2 sons Elias born c 1872 and Ellis born about 1879.
1891 at Peyyrhos, Groeslon, he was a fowl dealer. Looks like Enoch died when he was about 50,he doesn't appear on 1901 census.
Ellis the son married in Anglesey to Catherine Ann born Gaerwen Anglesey. They had 4 children born in Gaerwen. Enoch born c 1898,Owen born c1901,Elias born c1904,Jane Ann born about 1907.
I think Elias may have joined the army but bought himself out after 200 odd days. Don't know where he ended up.

Offline emma p

« Reply #551 on: November 24, 2011, 08:00:49 pm »
Jane, ive just read through some old posts as i knew Angelsey had been mentioned and 'Gaerwen' had been mentioned before by you. The other reference to Angelsey is Mary Thomas (Enoch juniors wife) born in Penmon (fathers name-Lewis).
Any good Hugo ?  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #552 on: November 24, 2011, 08:20:26 pm »
Jane, ive just read through some old posts as i knew Angelsey had been mentioned and 'Gaerwen' had been mentioned before by you. The other reference to Angelsey is Mary Thomas (Enoch juniors wife) born in Penmon (fathers name-Lewis).
Any good Hugo ?  :)

I'm afraid not Emma.  I know that there must be a lot of Roberts' in the area that are related to you but as it's such a common Welsh surname there must be many that are not and it was only a wild guess on my part with no evidence whatsoever linking the Roberts I was thinking of to you. Sorry.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #553 on: November 25, 2011, 11:07:49 am »
, and one more "Hyd oni ddeld" I hope I have copied these correctly!
[/quote]

I've never heard the expression before so I looked it up and think that it is just part of a bigger sentence " Marwolaeth yr Arglwydd hyd oni ddeld" which means " The Lord's death until Feld"

Offline jane B

« Reply #554 on: November 25, 2011, 01:44:34 pm »
Thanks Hugo. I have just about exhausted all my means of discovering more about the Roberts family. I have sent for death certificates for the Fforddlas graves, as they died young, to see what the cause was. Thanks again for all your help with details and travel hints. You have made a lot of the research easier. What a great thing your forum is. Hope you keep going forever!