Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203808 times)

Offline emma p

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #465 on: November 11, 2011, 05:21:15 pm »
Whoops i think i got a bit excited then, thinking Roberts Roberts was one of our Roberts' !! But hey, you never know ??

Thanks for that though Hugo and the whereabouts of these places. I have a better idea of where we are now.  $thanx$

Offline emma p

« Reply #466 on: November 11, 2011, 05:41:27 pm »
Aha....i knew the name rang a bell. Llansantfraidd is on the A470, the way we drive in and has the fabulous view of Conway Castle across the Estuary.
Fantastic.  :)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #467 on: November 11, 2011, 06:39:11 pm »
I've just put "Ty Capel Fforddlas Glan Conwy" on to Google and had a look at the Salem Chapel and the Chapel house adjoining it.  It's still very impressive and is on the lane going east from the A470.
Sorry I can't post a photo as I don't know how to do it but Dwsi will be able to.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2011, 12:19:38 am »
I've just put "Ty Capel Fforddlas Glan Conwy" on to Google and had a look at the Salem Chapel and the Chapel house adjoining it.  It's still very impressive and is on the lane going east from the A470.
Sorry I can't post a photo as I don't know how to do it but Dwsi will be able to.

ta-dah!  D)
http://g.co/maps/2j5v8

Offline Hugo

« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2011, 10:11:22 am »
Thanks Dwsi, I wish I knew how you do that.    The old Chapel still looks nice and if you are coming to Llandudno via that way Emma then you can see it quite clearly on the right hand side across the fields just after you've gone past Tal Goed Nurseries.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #470 on: November 12, 2011, 10:24:58 am »
Jane, you've been really busy and found out lots of things about the family.  It's very interesting to see the various links being formed and I would imagine that there must be some links to the Welsh Missionaries from South Wales.
Was William one of Enoch Snr's sons?
Tre Trallwyn is a Parish in Llansanffraid Glan Conwy and Fforddlas and the Graig are in the area of the Parish so I would imagine that William was actually living in the house called Ty Capel (Chapel House) which is on the right in Dwsi's photo.

Offline jane B

« Reply #471 on: November 12, 2011, 11:08:08 am »
Thanks to Dwsi for the fab photo! William  ( born about 1808)was the oldest son of Enoch born 1777. I went back further to search for more children after you put me straight on the census dates for 1841. I am not sure I have found them all, some of the writing on the church records is not clear. Would it be possible to look at the church records for his time as minister there? Will they be held at Carnarvon?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #472 on: November 12, 2011, 11:38:57 am »
I'm not sure about the Church Records Jane as I've never had to look for them.  I would suggest that you contact the Conwy Archives first and I'm sure that they can point you in  the right direction.
Caernarfon has the Gwynedd Archives and Llansanffraid Glan Conwy has never been in the same county as Caernarfon. In Williams time that was in the old County of Denbighshire as was Llandrillo.   Llangystennin,Glanwydden and Llandudno were all  in Caernarfonshire.
Sorry if this sounds confusing but it's easier to ask the Conwy Archives first and you can do it by phone or e-mail as well as a personal call and it saves a wasted journey.
The addresses may sound confusing to you but if you want to know where anywhere is just put it on here and I'm sure that someone will know.

Offline jane B

« Reply #473 on: November 12, 2011, 02:57:26 pm »
Thanks Hugo, saves me asking the wrong thing again! On the subject of place names, Robert Roberts  (born 1810 ish)second son of old Enoch lived in Llanbeblig in a house called Ala Bowl.What does that mean? He was a quarryman as I think nearly every man there was!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #474 on: November 12, 2011, 04:33:01 pm »
Thanks Hugo, saves me asking the wrong thing again! On the subject of place names, Robert Roberts  (born 1810 ish)second son of old Enoch lived in Llanbeblig in a house called Ala Bowl.What does that mean? He was a quarryman as I think nearly every man there was!

Ala Bowl is a new one on me as I've never heard of it. I've checked my dictionary and neither word is in it.   ???
Welsh house names in those days would often relate to the location of the property or occupation of the owner, but were often misspelt or  mutated.  In other words the first letter of the word changes or is even dropped!   Confused? so am I because there are a number of different types of mutation!
In Glanwydden the occupations were mainly Agricultural workers or Quarrymen as the village grew due to the nearby Llangystennin Quarries.   Llandudno also had the Copper Miners and after 1850 the hotels and tourists created other forms of employment.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #475 on: November 12, 2011, 04:40:04 pm »
Ala Bowl is in Waunfawr. English translation of a Welsh website discussing Robert Roberts http://bit.ly/vAp8gz
 $walesflag$

Offline hollins

« Reply #476 on: November 12, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »
dwsi, you are amazing!
Never mind a printing business! How about a detective?
Well done.
I would also love to know how to do a screen shot.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #477 on: November 12, 2011, 04:50:49 pm »
How to Take a Screenshot in Microsoft Windows - wikiHow http://bit.ly/s0MxUO

How to Take a Screenshot with the Snipping Tool on Microsoft Windows: 4 steps (with video) - wikiHow http://bit.ly/rAvnzr

Offline Hugo

« Reply #478 on: November 12, 2011, 04:57:13 pm »
That's really great stuff Dwsi and by the sounds of it a Welsh person is also looking for the Roberts connection.
Do you know what Ala Bowl means?

Offline dwsi

« Reply #479 on: November 12, 2011, 05:01:59 pm »
I've found Ala Bowl in Waunfawr, it's now known as Rala  D)