Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203845 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #375 on: October 29, 2011, 08:04:58 pm »
Ah, good find, They're those very solid looking stone cottages halfway along Rhos Road - still there today.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #376 on: October 29, 2011, 08:31:18 pm »
Ive just googled 4 Rhos Road and its a shop on the promanade ! Have i got the right one ?  Nothing for 4 Ffordd cottages ??
Most of those buildings were originally houses that were converted into shops many years ago.
Rhos Road in the early days:
[smg id=2599]

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #377 on: October 30, 2011, 10:06:14 am »
That's a great find Dwsi.      &well&
I've seen those cottages as I've driven down Rhos Road and they still look very nice.
I'm wondering if 4 Ffordd Cottages and 4 Rhos Road are actually the same place.  ?{}?

Offline emma p

« Reply #378 on: October 30, 2011, 10:07:29 am »
Thanks for those pics dave......i must say im confused, cant get straight in my head who lived where. I know we're talking about Enoch junior's children (my ggrandfathers brothers and sisters) and his fathers brother Elias and family but i think until its down on paper and i can see it i wont get it straight in my head.
Jane ill see if i can get a quiet 5min to ring you later if thats ok ?  :)

Offline emma p

« Reply #379 on: October 30, 2011, 10:08:30 am »
Hugo, im thinking the same.  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #380 on: October 30, 2011, 10:29:43 am »
Thanks for those pics dave......i must say im confused, cant get straight in my head who lived where. I know we're talking about Enoch junior's children (my ggrandfathers brothers and sisters) and his fathers brother Elias and family but i think until its down on paper and i can see it i wont get it straight in my head.
Jane ill see if i can get a quiet 5min to ring you later if thats ok ?  :)

It is getting confusing but isn't it Elias' son Edward that lived at 4 Ffordd Cottages?   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #381 on: October 30, 2011, 10:39:41 am »
Hi Hugo, It was Edward and Margaret Roberts that lived there.
Also, I have just spotted in my notes a William Roberts (youngest brother of Enoch born 13.11 1853 who lived in Jubilee st etc), William was born about1876 in Llangwstenin and on the 1911 census lived at Ty Canol Llangwstenin which is described as a 2 roomed cottage. He was employed by Colwyn Bay UDC as a stoker and lived at that address with wife Maria and 4 children. Must have been very crowded! Does that address still exist?

Jane these Census records are confusing as it makes you think that Ty Canol is in the village of Llangystennin but that isn't always the case.  The Parish of Llangystennin covers the villages of Glanwydden.Bryn Pydew, Llangystennin,Mochdre, Llandudno Junction and the areas of Pabo and Marl.   I don't know where Ty Canol is but when I did a Google search a Ty Canol appeared in Bryn Pydew!
Ty Canol is a common name for cottages, the name in English means Middle House so it could refer to any mid terrace property in the Parish of Llangystennin.
Dwsi's great at finding things so perhaps he may come up trumps again and find this.

Offline jane B

« Reply #382 on: October 30, 2011, 11:36:59 am »
Hi Hugo, If only I had even a rudimentary smattering of Welsh, I probably wouldn't ask daft questions! The only welsh words I know are nain and taid, one of my aunties used this when talking about people's grandparents. I have promised myself to learn the basics before I am 60 (next year, so not much time then!) Thanks for all your input. I have my notebooks with all me questions ready for the week after next on my visit to Llandudno so I may find some more answers at the archives. Enjoy your SundayQ! 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #383 on: October 30, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »
I haven't got the web link but if you put this into Google "Welsh Gravestone inscriptions"  then select the first one Welsh Family History Archive then it gives you some help in translating the Headstones and there are some interesting things there.
Hope that you enjoy your visit to Llandudno and that you can find all the things that you are looking for and then we'll test you out in Welsh!      ;)     $walesflag$

Offline dwsi

« Reply #384 on: October 30, 2011, 01:47:34 pm »
this is tŷ canol, bryn pydew http://g.co/maps/2yyh3

Offline Hugo

« Reply #385 on: October 30, 2011, 04:36:51 pm »
Do you know if there are any more Ty Canols in the Parish of Llangystennin Dwsi?

Offline dwsi

« Reply #386 on: October 30, 2011, 04:47:39 pm »
that's the only one in the parish. i had a look on ancestry.com to double check and the pages before and after were Bryn Pydew

Offline jane B

« Reply #387 on: October 30, 2011, 04:54:37 pm »
Thanks for clearing that one up for me!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #388 on: October 30, 2011, 05:17:46 pm »
Thanks Dwsi    $good$

Offline emma p

« Reply #389 on: October 30, 2011, 05:55:45 pm »
Hi all,
can i query an earlier post referring to Enoch juniors youngest brother William........
Ann and Richards children were-
Elizabeth - b.1852 (looking at this date and the date of ann and richards marriage date 17.11.1851, it was a close call !!)
Enoch - b.1853
Evan - b. ?
William - b.1862 d.1877 buried in Glanwydden. Is later joined by Annie, Elizabeths daughter, we presume.
Ellen - b.1865

Jane has referred to another William b.1876 ? This is before William number 1 dies ????? Why would you have two sons named William?
Also this is almost 10 years after Ellen and Ann would be 47 by then ?????

mmmmm.... ???